Sunday, August 21, 2005

and so it goes

My grandma died this evening. She started her "death rattle" (WTF?) and within the hour she was gone. My brother called me, upset, to tell me. I felt pretty cold hearted when I just said "thank you for telling me", with no emotion. I said my goodbye to her on Wednesday night, and feel comfortable with it. I feel badly for my mother, who has now lost both parents. I assume the services will be within the next week or two. I do feel sadness, and I know at some point I will feel the need to cry, but I feel empty now. I felt the same way after my grandfather died a year and a half ago. Then out of the blue, a month or so ago, the emotion hit me. I assume it will be similar with my grandma.

I've always hated crying. I hate it so much that I will suppress my feelings, my pain, just to avoid it. I've done it as long as I can remember. When my DH (then boyfriend) broke up with me over ten years ago, instead of being upset and crying, I got determined. I decided I wasn't going to allow that kind of pain, and instead I devised a plan to get him back. It worked. I successfully avoided the pain, and prevented the need for it. I've always been this way. So when my grandpa died, I decided I would cry when I visited his grave. I scheduled it. I end up suppressing it for so long that the pain changes, the need for a release changes. I have no idea if it's a good or bad thing to do, but it's what I have always done.

Tonight, I just won't let myself dwell on it. No sad music, no sad movies, no sad stories. If I can get through the next few weeks I should be ok.

4 comments:

Bravie said...

I'm sorry to ehar about your grandma. You know you have friends here for you if and when you need it.
*smooch*

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Carey. Knowing that makes everything easier.

*smooches*

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

Hi sweetie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I only knew my grandfather as my grandmother passed away before I could even remember her. I suffer from a somewhat emotionless response too. Things get to me but for some reason I dont let anything show and then I wonder if it means I didn't really care. I'm sure I did and I'm sure you do.

The emotion is always there, we just show it in different ways.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, I decided I'm still in shock, emotionally. Every time it occurs to me that she is dead, I feel surprised, and then quickly put it out of my mind.

Had it been one of my parents, children, siblings, or DH, they would have to immediately hospitalize me, I would lose it.

As my g-parents got older, I emotionally withdrew from them, sort of as preparation, I guess. I'm glad it wasn't an unexpected phone call.

*smooches*