I have much to blog about, including my kids promotion and promotion swim party. But before I can get into any of that, let me tell you about Saturday night. My older brother, the one who is engaged, had a long discussion on Friday night, with his fiance "Cheryl" about whether they should postpone the wedding. It was her idea, based on some pretty legit reservations, such as her not knowing his children very well and him not having a steady income. His new business is just getting off the ground and not reliable enough to support a family. I'll not mention that she grew up in mansions and her family is wealthy. I won't mention it because that might give the impression that money will be important to her (and really, most people *do* want stability, so fair is fair).
Anyhow, she decides that July 7th is too soon and perhaps they should wait until January. Well, all day on Saturday I wanted to check on my brother, knowing he would probably be feeling pretty down about this, but I held back because I didn't want to push him. I found out from my mom that his DF was with him and the kids for most the day, just hanging out. So I was kinda confused...my dad thought she was trying to back out, as did I, really. But whatever. I was glad they were together. I did not hear anything else until late that night when my mom called me and said my dad was angry because DB was not home and it was after 11pm (he had his kids for the weekend, which is why it was upsetting to my dad). I sorta defended DB by saying that all parents have kept kids out late and depending on what they are doing, it doesn't kill them. Mine were out until midnight when we went to Disneyland, and they were only barely 5.
Moving on...around Midnight, I get a text message from my brother. It says, "If mom and dad get worried, tell them I am ok but I won't be back until Monday." He follows that with, "Tell them I did what I had to do."
I immediately texted him back with, "So you're eloping?" halfway joking, the other half seriously alarmed. He writes back that "yes, we are." He then asks me not to tell them until the next day. *sigh* So I know my mom is not sleeping because she has no idea where he is, or where his kids are. Let's just skip over the fact that he is 33 years old and my parents are acting like he's a child.
So, I did as he asked, and kept it to myself until this morning. I didn't sleep much, knowing that this was not going to go over well with the family. Oh, and his kids had been dropped off at his former MIL's house somewhere along the way.
I finally told my mom and she reacted pretty calmly, and not that surprised. Not surprised only because this kind of move is typical for my idiotic DB, whom I adore and love unconditionally, of course. I have no idea how Cheryl's valid concerns from the day before had all dissipated, but somehow, they had. They met in April, remember. She lost her uncle, and has been so involved in that family tragedy and planning her wedding, that none of us, including his children, really know her that well. They did come to my kids promotion lunch on Thursday and I noticed she not only ordered several strong drinks, but she was unhappy with two of them and sent them back. That's fine I guess, but not typical of my family's behaviour when we go out.
So in summation, WTF? Are they as stupid as I fear? To top it all off, I found out today that she did not want him telling anyone and he told me secretly. So after telling my mom, who obviously told my dad, who reacted by calling DB's DW's mom *rolls eyes*, it came out to her (Cheryl) that *I* was how they all found out. She was less than happy, and was confused as to how I knew. DB did not admit that he told me himself, so now I look like a big mouthed busybody, which really pisses me off. Should I tell her the truth and cause a problem in their already *not looking so great marriage* or take the hit and let her get over it? *sigh*
All of this after some unusual drama at the kids swim party on Friday. I'll have to vent about that one later in the week.
The one positive note? At least their wedding date is on the 10th and not the 9th.
MM <--serious aversions to the number 9
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




15 comments:
Ye gads! What fun.
I think you should let it roll, but when you get your brother alone make it clear that you will not ever let it roll again... and that he should fess up to his new wife if he ever wants this marriage to last.
Exactly. He needs to tell his wife that he told you. Hopefully the marriage will go more smoothly than the wedding. Sheesh.
Yikes. I hate when family asks me to lie for them and asks me to take the brunt of things. Not sure what I would do. Probably suck it up and be pissed off at my brother. Heh.
Ack. I'd say let it roll until she asks you how you knew. She'll get over it, your brother will fess up or she'll hate you for life. In any direction, it's not a bad compromise really. *grin*
*hugs*
First of all, I don't think the situation makes you look like a big-mouthed busybody. It makes you look like a clairvoyant busybody. ;-)
Second, if it were me, I might keep my mouth shut if it never came up, but if she asked me how I knew, I'd answer honestly. Your brother seems to think that deception is a good way to start his marriage. Maybe allowing him to get away with it does him/them a disservice in the long run.
Right, this is going to last.
Bob <--- not super romantic.
Really? What's wrong with the number 9?
I have no opinion on the other stuff because I never understand stuff like that IRL and invariably do the wrong thing. Right for me but wrong for everybody else.
(I am willing to keep my mouth shut for thr sake of family peace, but not actively lie. That's a step too far.)
The other night Michael called me Mrs. Kravitz as I was looking out the window.
Come and sit with me and we'll be busybodies together.
Two things that keep buggin me about this whole thing:
1. Your brother needs to grow the eff up!
2. Your parents need to learn to butt the eff out!
Holy crap.
The whole thing just makes me shake my head. I'll stand with the majority and say that I wouldn't lie if it came up.
What a mess.
I think you guys are right and I should let it go unless it becomes a problem between her and I or she asks. I certainly won't lie to her about it.
Carey, there are definitely enough "pissed off feelings" going around toward my brother right now.
Bob, why on earth would you doubt it will last? /false indignation]
Swami, not sure where the aversion comes from. When my OBGYN was planning my twins c-section, he scheduled me for the 9th and I freaked out and refused. That was the first time I realized I didn't like the number. It's just so...unfinished. He moved their b-day to the 10th, which was technically his day off. :)
Nutz, you are right on both counts!!
*checks calendar* Dad & Brother have birthdays on the 9th...
I KNEW there was something wrong with them!
*giggle*
Yikes. I was really hoping that they would come to their senses and decide to wait. *sigh* I wish them the best, even if I think they are stupid. *grin*
Sheesh. Family drama. That's why I left my country LOL.
Holy cow, MM. What a drama-fest.
I really hope you get through this with the least possible stress.
Post a Comment