Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pointless Poll & Useless Facts

I suppose it would have been wiser not to say it is pointless. Perhaps it should say 'Pertinent Poll'? Regardless, it really is a pointless poll. I was reading a magazine and this article caught my eye so I figured I'd bore you with what I find fascinating. :)

Lipstick

1. Do you wear lipstick?
2. If so, do you wear it daily?
3. Do you use lip liner?
4. Do use a particular brand?
5. Do you think all lipsticks are created equal?
6. Do you wear red lipstick?
7. Do you wear lip gloss?
7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day?
8. Do you like any lipsticks enough to recommend a brand to me?
9. Do you prefer gloss or matte?
10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth?

I'm in the serious mood to buy some lipstick. I find that most of mine are all within the same color family and I want to try something new. I look horrid in light lipstick but I don't have the guts to wear red. I don't trust I'm finding the right red tones. I use a lot of glosses and I have a couple darker sheer lipsticks that are ok, but they are old and I need to replace them. It's been so long that I don't know where to look or if the brand matters. I have a tube of Clinique lipstick called Bamboo Pink. It's ok for casual or daytime, but I want something with more of a punch. Any suggestions?

Useless Facts

  • In 1770, the British Parliament passed a law stating that women who seduced a man into marriage using cosmetic means would be tried for witchcraft.
  • In the 1800s, Queen Victoria denounces lipstick as impolite.
  • In 1912, feminists wear lipstick at a suffragette rally to denote their emancipation.
  • During WWII, it was patriotic for women to "put their faces on". Lipstick was a morale booster.
  • During the 1960s. mod pearlized shades were popular.
  • In the 1970s, feminists protested by not wearing lipstick.
  • The 1980s were known for big shoulders and big, dark, power lips.
  • Brown matte lipsticks were all the rage during the 1990s (I remember wearing it! yuck!)
  • In 2000, lipstick takes a backseat to lip gloss.

Fascinating stuff, yeah? *grin* Ok, well even if lipstick isn't your thing, that's ok. Everyone have a great weekend! *smooches*!

22 comments:

momma said...

1. Do you wear lipstick? Yes
2. If so, do you wear it daily? No
3. Do you use lip liner? Only on special occasions or a night out on the town
4. Do use a particular brand? Yes
5. Do you think all lipsticks are created equal? No
6. Do you wear red lipstick? No, it looks horrid on me
7. Do you wear lip gloss? Yes
7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day? Depends on which color I'm in the mood for and how casual or dressy I'm feeling.
8. Do you like any lipsticks enough to recommend a brand to me? I love my Avon lipsticks, they don't bleed, they last for a good while and I love the colors.
9. Do you prefer gloss or matte? Mine are a matte, but they have a bit of shine to them
10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth? Once in a blue moon, yes.

momma said...

Here are a couple of my favorites...

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.asp?
couponCode=&level1_id=300&level2_id
=301&pdept_id=311&dept_id=385&pf_id
=31387&level=4

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.asp?
src_page=product_list.asp&level1_id=300&level2_id=301&pdept_id=311&dept_id=385&pf_id=30994

kim (weltek) said...

This? Is why I come to MM's blog. :-)

1. Do you wear lipstick? YES
2. If so, do you wear it daily? YES
3. Do you use lip liner? SOMETIMES
4. Do use a particular brand? I BOUNCE AROUND TO WHATS ON SALE AND PRETTY
5. Do you think all lipsticks are created equal?
NO
6. Do you wear red lipstick?
NOT MUCH ANYMORE
7. Do you wear lip gloss?
NO, I DON'T LIKE THE FEEL
7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day?
SEE ABOVE
8. Do you like any lipsticks enough to recommend a brand to me?
MAYBELLINE'S SUGARED BRONZE IS MY FAVORITE EVAH
9. Do you prefer gloss or matte?
GLOSS
10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth?
RARELY

Jen said...

1. Do you wear lipstick? No, I don't like the way it tastes and I don't like having lipstick marks on my cups.

7. Do you wear lip gloss?
Sometimes, but mostly I just use chapstick/blistex.

7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day?
I will sometimes put on lipstick if I'm going to a club or somewhere nice. Then I layer a shiny gloss over it. Everyday wear is blistex or a clear shiny gloss.

9. Do you prefer gloss or matte?
I like shine.

10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth? Sometimes.

PS- You have two #7's. :)

Bravie said...

I can't wear lipstick because I have a nervous habit of biting my lower lip. If I were to wear lipstick, I would have a racing stripe down the center of my bottom lip from biting.

Seana said...

1. Do you wear lipstick?
Yes
2. If so, do you wear it daily?
Yes
3. Do you use lip liner?
No
4. Do use a particular brand?
No
5. Do you think all lipsticks are created equal?
Certainly not
6. Do you wear red lipstick?
Yes
7. Do you wear lip gloss?
Sometimes
7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day?
Lipgloss is for the nicer weather. Sometimes, I put ligloss over lipstick.
8. Do you like any lipsticks enough to recommend a brand to me?
I like the Revlon stuff.
9. Do you prefer gloss or matte?
I like frosts, actually
10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth?
Oh, grief, all the time.

MM said...

Momma, the links went to a page where it looks like there should be a pic but the pic doesn't show...could you give the name and I'll use the home page to find it? Thanks!

I have to admit, I'm surprised we have so many lipstick wear-ers. Last time I asked about make up, seems many people didn't use much.

Kim, I'll look into Maybelline's. I have some by Rimmel and I like the consitency and smell of it.

Jen, thanks for the heads up on my number 7s! LOL! Oops. I have no idea how that happened. I hate the lip mark on cups too! Grr!

Now I want to see Carey and the racing stripe! *grin*

Seana, how do you choose the red color? How do you know if it will look too orangey, or too bright, etc? Revlon, eh?

dragonflies said...

1. Do you wear lipstick? Yes
2. If so, do you wear it daily? Yes
3. Do you use lip liner? No
4. Do use a particular brand? No
5. Do you think all lipsticks are created equal? No
6. Do you wear red lipstick? Yes
7. Do you wear lip gloss? Yes
7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day? I usually start with lipstick and move to lipgloss, or if I'm lazy, I just gloss.
8. Do you like any lipsticks enough to recommend a brand to me? I like the Revlon stuff too, the all day kind.
9. Do you prefer gloss or matte? Dunno
10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth? Yes

I have been having a real issue with my lips lately, for about a month. They are dry, chapped, etc. I actually stopped wearing lipstick or gloss. Been using NoAd chapstick type stuff. My friend gave me some lip balm from senegense that seemed to help, but the sample ran out. She is getting me some tonight. I've never had my lips actually hurt before. Yuk.

MM said...

You know, once I started using product on my lips, I haven't been able to *not* have them covered at all times because they immediately feel dry when it wears off. I don't even bother waiting to see if they'll hurt without chapstick or gloss.

I would avoid lip "qeunching" stuff and maybe try something medicated and not gimicky. I think the stuff that they sell for dry lips actually dries them out *more*. I've never hard of what you're using, so it's probably good stuff.

~Nutz said...

1. Do you wear lipstick? No
2. If so, do you wear it daily? Um...
3. Do you use lip liner? No
4. Do use a particular brand? Um...
5. Do you think all lipsticks are created equal? Um...
6. Do you wear red lipstick? No
7. Do you wear lip gloss? No
7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day? Um...
8. Do you like any lipsticks enough to recommend a brand to me? No
9. Do you prefer gloss or matte? Um...
10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth? No

mtw said...

*walks into blog*
*checks out all the hot blogger chicks*
*offers to be the "taste-tester"*
*grin*

Other than that, I got nothin'!

Puffy said...

After reading everyone's answers, the two #7's are bothering me.

1. Do you wear lipstick? SOMETIMES
2. If so, do you wear it daily? NO
3. Do you use lip liner? RARELY
4. Do use a particular brand? NO
5. Do you think all lipsticks are created equal? NO
6. Do you wear red lipstick? NO
7. Do you wear lip gloss? SOMETIMES
7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day? NO REASON
8. Do you like any lipsticks enough to recommend a brand to me? ANY THAT STAY ON FOR A LONG TIME
9. Do you prefer gloss or matte? GLOSS
10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth? NO

lights said...

1. Do you wear lipstick? No
2. If so, do you wear it daily? No
3. Do you use lip liner? No
4. Do use a particular brand? No
5. Do you think all lipsticks are created equal? Um, no?
6. Do you wear red lipstick? No
7. Do you wear lip gloss? Yes!
7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day? Hmmm?
8. Do you like any lipsticks enough to recommend a brand to me? Like MTW, I've got nothin'.
9. Do you prefer gloss or matte? *shrugs*
10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth? Only when I bite into a thing of lipstick. Thankfully, that doesn't happen often. *grin*

I'm a Blistex girl. Silk and Shine! *waves to Nookie*

momma said...

mm, I wear both the Ultra Color Rich and the Perfect Wear. Normal shades for me are in the brownish-peach-nude type color families. And the sheers.

Anonymous said...

*giggle*

I am so NOT a lipstick person. I couldn't even begin to answer any of these questions. I hate it. *waits for gasps* I mean I really hate it.

There are very rare occasions where I will dab a little gloss - if you even call it that on my lips. But it only lasts about an hour max. It's some Neutrogena stuff that I like. And I only wear it if I think I need to get noticed for something.

But otherwise I just DON'T like it. I think it's high maintenance and a hassle and something I would rather not have to worry about.

Swami said...

1. Do you wear lipstick?
--yes.
2. If so, do you wear it daily?
--no.
3. Do you use lip liner?
--no.
4. Do use a particular brand?
--no. I buy mid-priced but name-branded stuff based on whether I like the color or not.
5. Do you think all lipsticks are created equal?
--no.
6. Do you wear red lipstick?
--only at night and usually when a darker rather than bright red.
7. Do you wear lip gloss?
--rarely. It seems like a young girls thing to me.
7. How do you decide between a lipstick day and a lip gloss day?
--Most days I just wear chapstick.
8. Do you like any lipsticks enough to recommend a brand to me?
--nope.
9. Do you prefer gloss or matte?
--matte for day, gloss for night.
10. Do you ever get lipstick on your teeth?
--just about never.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of "lips," Thank you!!!!

kim (weltek) said...

I have a Rimmel frosty brown color that I really like.

Schnookie said...

Since I discovered colored lip gloss, I never wear lipstick. I used to hate wearing lipstick because I'd always bite it off. I'm a lip biter *waves to Bravie*.

I also always had a hard time finding a color. I also wanted a lipstick that looked "wet".

I never used a lip liner. Way too much work involved in that.

So, I wear Maybelline Shiny-licious Banana (of course) pudding lip gloss. Gives my lips some color and I like the moisture. I'll touch it up every so often during the day. In between that, I'll use Blistex Silk & Shine lip balm. I must always have something on my lips. Hate dry lips.

Schnookie said...

Oh and LMAO at the first useless fact. I had to read it to DH. We both got a kick out of it.

Seana said...

MM: it's a couple days late, but maybe you'll see this anyway.

I pick deeper shades of red, like burgundy. If it says "berry" anywhere in the name it will look hideous on me.

The Revlon red is called "Spiced Brandy".

MM said...

Nookie, I'll look into those lip glosses, they sound god. Glad you liked the useless facts. :)

Seana, thanks! I think berrys would look bad on me too, but for different reasons...for some reason I think you have a darker complexion than me.