Thursday, December 01, 2005

I'm a big girl dammit!

My family is so screwy. I have parents who still think they need to give me clearance before I do anything. Last month, when I was going to see my friend who lives an hour away, my dad straight up told me no. I shouldn't be driving that far by myself. Now, this weekend I am going to drive to the mountains (3 hours away) to visit family. My older brother was the first to tell me I couldn't do it alone, then tonight my dad tells me the same thing. I laughed and said, "dad, I am freaking going to be 30 years old, I can drive by myself!" *sigh* Is it just me or is this what all parents do? I am leaving DH home this weekend because a) he wanted to, and b) because I want him to owe me a weekend alone. My parents have already told me that my desire to be left alone for a night or two is really wrong. Hello! I've NEVER slept in a house by myself, in my LIFE! Ugh! Overprotective maybe? No wonder I feel like a 12 year old.

At any rate, wish me luck. I've been to my relatives home over a hundred times throughout my life and I still used Mapquest to get directions. (no wonder they're so damn worried).

You all have a good and safe weekend. I will be thinking of those who are going to at Glow's reception and I will be very gellus! See you all Monday.

27 comments:

~Nutz said...

Kudos! You are a big girl dammit!

Have a fun weekend. Make sure to let us know you've made it there & back safely.

Sonya said...

My family is the same way. Heaven forbids you go to the grocery store at night too. Someone may get you. LOL! Have a good weekend. Chat with ya next week.

Aislinn Sirk said...

More advice than you probably want here: It seems to me that the people in your life want like you to be helpless and dependent. When you do something independent it worries them, not because you aren't capable, but because you are.
That scares them because it messes up how they view the world. Spending some time alone doing something you didn't think you could do might be a very useful and enlightening experience for everyone.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I suggest cleaning my kitchen for starters because god knows that scares the bejeezus out of me.

Jen said...

My mother still worries when I go out of town (like I am tonight- a 2 hour drive) and she always makes me take her cell phone and says all kinds of motherly things. But she would never EVER tell me that I can't go or I can't do it.

You are a big girl, Tab. Don't let them get you down. *smooch*

Have a great time!

Seana said...

No wonder you're weird.

I keed! I keed!

My parents don't worry about me when I go places. Actually, it's not like I tell them. An hour away isn't far, though. If I were going farther, maybe I'd let them know.

On a serious note: Bob may have something there. Of course, aren't you freaked out by everything?

Anyway, go on! Live dangerously! And have fun.

mm said...

Thanks guys. Bob, why would I clean your kitchen if I hardly clean mine? *grin* Seriously, you may be right about them, though if you are, I do believe it's all on a subconscious level.

Jen, I'm taking my mom's cell phone, too. (I loaned mine to my brother when he lost his job)On the plus side of all this dependency, I'm also hoping to get her gas card. :)

*squinty eyes* @ Seana. You managed to be nice and snarky at the same time. Do I *kick* you or *smooch* you?

Zombs said...

You can do it! I used to drive to college all the time at the age of 19 and that was 7-8 hours away.

Driving is not bad! You show them you are gtrown woman. Bob is absolutely right!

Aislinn Sirk said...

Does this mean you won't clean my kitchen?
Piffle!

mm said...

Yes Bob, part of the independence you've encouraged has enabled me to be able to laugh in your face and say, hell no!

Aren't you proud of me?

Sonya said...

MM,

You might should make out a will before leaving town so your family knows your stuff is protected. Just kidding. When are you leaving?

*smooch*

Aislinn Sirk said...

hmph, I think I will stop encouraging anyone I know to be assertive. I really need someone that I can bully into housework

mtw said...

Bob, I would come and clean your kitchen, if you had a garbage disposal. Without one, I wouldn't know where to start. :-)

MM - Maybe your mom's worried you won't come back to clean HER kitchen!
BTW, I totally get you on the *alone time* weekend. One of my favorite weeks of the year is when DW takes the DD's (The KIDS, folks, not the TWINS) away for a week in the summer and I get the house ALL to myself! It's six days of fun, followed by one day of frantic cleaning.

EVERYONE ELSE - Since MM is going to be gone, I have the smut questions posted over on my blog. ;-)

mm said...

I'm off for the weekend now, you all have a good one!

Sonya said...

Be careful, MM. Don't take candy from strangers. LOL!

MTW - I agree. My other half will go and help his dad work around the house every once in a while. I opt to stay home. It is nice to have some alone time from now and then. He sure does appreciate me more after a weekend w/o me cooking. LOL!

Immunegirl said...

Have a good weekend mm...I'm sure that everything will work out perfectly well. Hope it is great!

Seana said...

Have a great weekend! Oh, and arkie invented a *kicksmooch* for Star. You could give me one of those, maybe. *grin*

volsfan said...

I never made it past the first sentence...my family is so screwy too!

{{{HIGS}}}

arkie said...

Seana, my dad still does that to me. Sort of. He will tell my mom to tell me I don't need to do this, or shouldn't be doing that. I just put to him still seeing me as his little girl, and then do whatever I want anyway.

And just to give credit where credit is due, Jen actually created the *kick-smooch* a long time ago.

Seana said...

I already miss you.

momma said...

Gah! That would make me insane. Then again, I drive an hour to work and school and whatnot each day.

Seriously, Bob may be onto something. And...in a downer type of moment - be glad you have family around to smother you to death :)

Have a great time!

Emily RugBurn said...

Is it just me or is this what all parents do?

All parents do it. Drives me BONKERS, but at least I know I'm not alone!

Enjoy your weekend!

~ EmRB

Anonymous said...

It means they love you, hon!

Have a good trip and hurry back with the smut.

Anonymous said...

Thi iz a fkud blg wa wa waaaa

Seana said...

Oh look , a troll.

Thanks for being honest, arkie. I will take away your credit and give it to Star. :D

Still missing you, MM.

*regularsmooch*

mm said...

Hi consise, please stay out of my blog if you can't be nice.

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

omh, that wasn't nice of her. I'm hoping that you've made it back safely. I missed everyone this weekend as I was in dial-up land with Syren.

*smooch*, my mom calls to check in on me every week without fail.