Monday, December 19, 2005

MIL Horrors

Where to begin? At the beginning? Alright, I met my mother-in-law when I was about 7. She scared the crap out of me, as she was a big, loud, mean assistant at my school, often doing yard duty. She was weird, and even at 7, I knew that. Fast forward 10 years. Hadn't given her a thought since I was in elementary school. Met DH, put two and two together, and realized with horror, who his mother was. Well, after getting to know DH, and learning more about her, I cannot believe he is not a serial killer, or worse (not sure there is something worse, but if there was, she could drive somebody to it). She is perverted, which is fine, I suppose, if it weren't creepy perverted. Examples? When DH was a boy (young teenager, I guess) she bought him and his friends porn. She encouraged it. She sewed (crocheted) these little warmers, that were for their...umm, you know. Like socks, but not for their feet. Gross! She would buy him and his friends birthday cards with naked women, every year. This is all stuff I found out pretty quickly.

Later, I found out more, witnessed more, disturbing stuff. Her husband...oh my goodness. What can I say about him? He is the creepiest man I've EVER met in my life. As in, I'd rather die than let my kids be left unattended with him. I almost die when they are around him with me around. She brought some "cartoons" she thought were so funny. IMO, it was borderline child porn. It was a drawing of two babies, a boy and a girl, the boy is crying really hard, the girl is content. Why? Because she had taken his pacifier and uh, placed it somewhere. *gag* Fortunately, they don't stay with us at our home anymore, after we got rid of the guest room, so the kids could have separate bedrooms. One time we got home from the store, back when they did stay with us, before we really knew her husband that well, and he told us that they had been switching the TV channels back and forth, trying to get a glimpse of the porn channel (that we didn't subscribe to). He started mimicking the sounds they heard. That? Is not normal behavior. He reminds me of Michael Jackson, actually, in a weird way.

I could go on and on, the stories are endless. One of the last things I heard from my ex-SIL was that my MIL was complaining about how I "changed" her son. How (her words) "he was so cool before he met Tab, he had long hair, smoked pot, drank beer and played pool all the time. She changed him". Yeah, no shit. That's what having kids and getting married will do to you dumbass. Ugh! She pisses me off so badly. Oh and guess what? We got our Christmas presents from her...(this is me, sounding like an ungrateful bitch) I got maple syrup. Yep. She loves me! She also asked the kids if the wicked stepmother photograph they got at Disneyland, was me. Right in front of me.

What she doesn't know, is that whenever DH calls her, or the kids write her, or we email her, it's because I push it. Because I don't want to hurt her feelings. She has no idea how many times DH is ready to write her off, and I tell him he can't, because she is his mother, after all. *sigh* I guess I'm just waiting for her to give me a good enough reason, once and for all.

Go ahead. I challenge you. Top THAT!

23 comments:

mtw said...

Ummm, I can't top that.

But my MIL does smell like pee!

mm said...

LOL, not surprised. Mine also has greasy hair. And she always showers with her DH. *gag*

Why does your MIL smell like pee?

Bravie said...

I'm sorry. I'm lucky enough to have one of the good MILs. Whew.

lights said...

Wow! You win. Like mtw I can't top that. My late MIL was bad, but not that bad.

Isn't it strange how you'll meet someone years before they become part of your life? When I was a kid we'd drive past a barn on our way to the cottage. Every summer there were people that would live in the barn complete with campers and tents. As a kid I made fun of them, "Hahaha, they live in a barn!" Yep, you guessed it. Dave's family. That's what I got for laughing at them.

And momma? Yes, they WERE weird!

When I first started dating Dave his Dad creeped me out a little. Then, one time he walked by the bathroom while I was brushing my hair (it was very long at the time) and he ran his hand down my hair and said something to the effect that my hair was so pretty it was giving him a hard on. AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!

Sonya said...

You are lucky that your husband isn't followin gin their foot steps. Keep up the good work of training the DH and teaching the kids properly. What you do behind close doors in your own bedroom is one thing, but not out in public. It sounds like they are sick and definitley have problems. Poor, MM.

*Hugs*

momma said...

Wow. Maple syrup?

Okay, so it can't be topped. But sweetie, that alone should be enough to quit encouraging the contact. Email me, k? I don't have your addy at work with me.

Emily RugBurn said...

Wow, mm. That's terrible! Like carey, my MIL is amazing. I realize just how damn lucky I am after reading your story.

~ EmRB

mtw said...

MIL smells like pee because she is getting old, probably has a bladder control problem she ignores because it makes her feel old, and because she probably doesn't bathe enough.

She's also VERY weird. The reason she probably doesn't bathe often enough or well enough is that she won't take a shower and won't put more than an inch or two of water in the bathtub. When DW was younger, that was all they got.

She collects EVERYTHING, and is still buying more and more stuff. Her garage is stuffed to the gills with crap. People are unable to enter. Her house is similarly filled. She basically has a walkway from her bedroom to the bathroom to the living room to the kitchen, like a little maze. All the rest of the floor space and air space is taken up with stuff. She even has a lot of it on display shelves like you'd see in a store.

She never uses either her heater or her air conditioner and the temperature is about 64 always - whether its 36 degrees outside or 106. She really doesn't have many lights, so walking into her house is like walking into a darkroom.

She has no people skills and no discernible personality. Despite being what I would call very "social" when she was a young woman, she hasn't had either a date or physical contact with a man since she divorced DW's dad almost 40 years ago.

Oh, I could go on for days. She's a piece of work, that one.

Chrissy (woe) said...

I can't top it either since I had the most amazing MIL on the face of the planet. But mtw described MY mom, scarey. Not that my mom smells (she doesn't) but the rest of it sounds just like her.

Coco said...

Nope. You win.

My MIL is out to get me, and I honestly think she helped drive one of my SILs to suicide, but because Eric put his foot down, she stays well out of our business. She might be a lot worse if this were not the case, but as it is, she just kind of lurks around our life wanting to wreak havoc.

Creepy penis warmers and porn supply trumps that by a long shot.

mm said...

Lights! That is awful, too. Ick. Just gross.

Sonya, I am lucky DH finds her as repulsive as I do.

Momma~ Emailed you. :)

Hi Em and Carey! I am envious of you both. All I ever really hoped for in a MIL was "normal". *sigh*

MTW, my mother is borderline like your MIL, she can't stop buying stuff. So far, her house is not affected by it, but I hope it never gets that bad.

*waves* to Chrissy!

Coco, I'm sure yours is bad after the little I've heard, but I think you may be right, the porn and penis warmers are just disgusting.

Immunegirl said...

Ick!!! I'm sorry.

Zombs said...

Yeah your instincts are right! Don't let your kids alone with him!

I have a great MIL and am very thankful.

For that matter maybe you should not leave them with your MIL either!

Schnookie said...

Wow! Penis warmers for him AND his friends? Wow!

You win. My MIL is pretty darn nice, even though she refused to attend my wedding because her ex was there LOL.

I am truly sorry your children have grandparents like that. I wouldn't be encouraging the contact if it were me. I'm not that nice.

*BIG HUGS*

mm said...

My kids have never, nor will ever, be alone with either of them. Fortunately, she is not a hands on kind of grandmother. Never hugs them, doesn't ask about school, nothing. She is socially retarded, literally.

I think the penis warmers came after he was 18, but I can't be positive, and it doesn't really matter. Poor guy must have been mortified beyond belief, but of course, his friends thought she was cool.

If I had to endure her more than once or twice a year, I wouldn't be as nice, but so far, we don't have to see her often, and she usually leaves her husband at home.

Sonya said...

How far away do they live? If not far enough, you might want to consider moving.

*giggles*

Aislinn Sirk said...

Gah! I get the creeps just reading your description.

I think I need a shower now

Seana said...

My MIL is quite cool, aside from guilting DH into lending her money we couldn't afford to give her and still not paying us back a year later and hinting over the course of that year that she might need more because it's hard to get caught up and blah blah blah. *ahem*

My DH could tell you about his, though. Of course, she's not like yours. It's a whole other thing with her. I won't go into that here.

Let me just finish up by saying good job keeping the kids away from them. Stick with that. Maybe you could try to determine if the kids get any benefit from keeping in contact with them and if the answer's no...

volsfan said...

I think I am the lucky one here...I don't have a MIL!

Puffy said...

How's their health? Waiting for the day they kick the bucket?

mm said...

Sonya, they live in Minnesota, so that's good for me.

Their health is good, only in their 50s.

*smooches* to everyone!

Anonymous said...

Oh MY!!!!!

My MIL was the sweetest most kind lady in the world. I was just telling my girlfriends the other night about how I missed going out to eat with her.

She would insist that I ride in the front seat with my husband. She would insist that we order whatever we wanted and include desert. At our favorite restaurant, there was a waitress who would always make a point of speaking to MIL and dh with her sweet little smile, but she would totally ignore me. And my MIL would notice. She gave me the best gifts for my kitchen.

In fact, this is me, whipping up some buttermilk pancakes in my special tilt mixing bowl and cooking them on my Caphalon pans to ship to you to top with your maple syrup. :) *smooch* darlin, she is a horror.

Terry said...

If my mom bought me porn as a kid, I would have shot myself.