Monday, January 28, 2008

Boo has spoken...

So I must update. :)

My real class starts tonight. I'm really excited. I think I will continue taking computer classes for a while, and then hopefully know more about what I want to accomplish in school. It's just really nice knowing I have a foot in the door now, after years of wanting to do this.

________________________________________

The other day I went into Panera with a friend and as I was walking up to the counter, the girl said, "Tabitha?". I said yes, and looked at her closely, wondering how she knew me. Her face meant nothing to me (and I feel really badly admitting that). She said, "I'm Elisha Lastname, we went to elementary school together". I knew the name was familiar, but the face still didn't register. But why should it? It had been over 17 years since I'd seen her! How on earth did she recognize me so quickly? My hair is darker and god, I just hoped I looked much differently than I did back then, lol! The sad part is that her and I were best friends during one grade (can't remember which, might have been 3rd...) and she even came to my house to play. I felt like a jerk while explaining to my friend Ashley who she was and how I barely remembered her at all.

It made me wonder how often people run into old school mates. I'm sure most of you went to high school, so you likely all look a little more like your friends would remember you, but still, what's the longest period of time that's gone by where someone saw you and recognized you? Did you instantly know who they were? Also, other than saying it was nice to see her again, would you have exchanged numbers or anything? She seemed so genuinely happy to see me, even telling me she had asked my cousin about me when she saw him in the restaurant, too.

It's just funny to me because I've always assumed I look totally differently than I used to, though I'm not sure why I assume that. Don't you think you look really differently as an adult, than you did as a kid?

8 comments:

Zombs said...

pencil

Swami said...

*scratches head at Zombie*

Only once have I ever accidently run into someone from my schooldays - at a 50th anniversary party for some friend of my mom's. She was in my ice skating classes as well as my high school, so I had known here since I was about 4 years old then not seen her for about 15 years. I recognized her (and she, me) at once! She looked just the same, only gorgeous!

Other than that I have never just run into anyone from that far back in my past. Those people are gone from my ken. I went to college in another country when I was 16 years old, and after that never really lived at home again for more than a week or ten days. Most of my life has been spent a thousand miles or more from my childhood home town.

mtw said...

What a coincidence! I don't know Elisha Lastname, but I know a guy named Firstname Lastname. I think it's her brother. ;-)

At my 20th high school reunion, there were people who recognized and remembered me that I barely remembered and would never have guessed they remembered me. It was kind of flattering since I always think of myself as an "extra" in the movie of my high school years.

Anonymous said...

People always recognize me. Always. It's as if I haven't changed, when I feel like I have.

*smooch*

MM said...

I *heart* Zombs.

Swami, you should blog more about your past! I had no idea about your college experience.

MTW, I doubt they could be siblings, consider the age gap! :P


Boo, I guess you're just unforgettable. ;-)

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

At my new job, I was dropping off fedex package downstairs, and the girl at the counter said- aren't you Amy? I vaguely remembered her from another bank job- I had been a supervisor there. I asked her who her boss was? "You" she said! Duh... But I claim muddled brain from the meds I take!

Bravie said...

I'll tell you whether or not I look differently as an adult as soon as I become one. *grin*
I look the same as I always have other than a little more wear and tear.

Puffy said...

Wow! I'm having trouble posting in your blog and the screen keeps shaking. This is the 3rd day I've tried to post here and hopefully it'll work.

I look familiar to everyone. That's what I hear all the time.