So after our plans to attend the State Fair on Thursday night were foiled (by SILFH) we decided to go on Friday night. We knew the crowd would be larger, but we wanted to all be together and on Thursday, my brother had to tend to yet another mess created by his wife.
Anyways, we started by putting the kids on rides right away. After many rides, we went to eat. You'd think with all the fair food I'd have had something unusual (or fried, lol) but instead I opted for a small bowl of chocolate covered strawberries. *yum* We ate and listened to the Commodores playing live.
After that, mom and I went into the exhibit building. I hate the exhibits. Actually, I hate the ones *we* went into. They are not really exhibits, but rather, the booths selling stuff you usually only see on TV. Same 'ol same 'ol. Have YOU ever bought anything at the fair and if so, are you happy about it or were you suckered in and later regretted it? My mom bought a container for the back of her van that she is positive will make her life easier and completely organized. *waves "bye" to $20*
Anyhow, my parents and younger DB (with his baby and DCommonLawW) left at that time leaving my older DB and myself, with all the kids. We'd spent good money on unlimited ride bracelets and I was going to get our moneys worth! Last year, DD amazed us all by doing a ride called The Mega Drop. I promised her this year I would go with her. So there I was, on this:

All I can say is...*thinks*. Man, I'm still speechless. This ride was not exciting to me. It scared the carp out of me. By the time "crap", of "holy crap" came out of my mouth, we were at the bottom. The worst part I guess was the 10 second (or so) lull at the top, while you are sitting there waiting to drop. Not fun.
After we got off, my legs and arms were weak. All I could think was, Payback! She's going to have to ride something else with me! So we headed to the Zipper. Who knows that ride? It's pretty standard I think, at most carnivals and fairs. Here's a pic:

This was my favorite ride as a teenager. That also happens to be the last time I rode it. Still, I had no reservations, as going upside down does not scare me. The only thing I did *not* anticipate, was the tight cage I would be locked in. Duh. As soon as the bar locked across our legs, I got an uneasy feeling in my gut. It was like a heat, searing through my stomach and chest. We were already off the ground, but the ride had not started because they were loading people still. I had to decide whether to scream and hope they would hear me, or force myself to remain calm for the duration. I turned to the side and tried to inhale fresh air through the cage. It didn't work. I was not getting enough oxygen. I turned to my DD, who was already extremely nervous about the ride, and I confided in her. I calmly told her I wasn't sure I was ok. She focused on trying to talk me through it, which in effect took her mind off of her being scared. Within a minute or 457, the ride finally started. Once we were moving, I was fine. No time to think about being trapped when you are screaming and being flipped every which way! When the ride was done, we were let off pretty quickly, and I was glad I stayed on. DD said it was her favorite ride ever. Yay!
Still, it surprises me how one can become claustrophobic so late in life. And weird too how it hits so randomly. The other ride, I suppose because there was no cage around me, didn't have the same effect at all. *shrug*
So that was our night. I also did a three story fun house with the kids, which I think burned some serious calories, lol!
Tell me, who here does these rides? Do you get sick? Do you think they are safe (relatively speaking)?




10 comments:
I love rides as long as they don't spin. If the spin, I barf. I love the tall droppy ones. So much fun.
Our fair has come and gone already. *waves bye to the fair*
But we did get to see Joan Jett. She played at our little fair. :)
You are very brave to go on all the rides! Tom has to take dramamine before he can ride even a Ferris Wheel, lol, so we don't do rides much.
But I used to ride all the rides but the Tilt-a-Whirl. That thing is a vomit machine. I especially liked tall droppy ones! *waves to Bravie*
Was it a good haunted house? Our state fair had the BEST hh for years, then they dumbed it down because it was too scary for younger kids. Idiots.
We didn't go this year. Too hot. I hate heat and wondering around the Fair while having serial hot flashes did not appeal to me at all.
Tom goes to eat the fried cheese, which I love also. Only 942 calories per mouthful, lol. And just walking by the giant deep fryers gives you your daily allowance of trans fats.
Why do mini donuts bought at the State Fair always taste better than mini donuts bought at an identical looking stand anywhere else?
*sits with Bravie and Swami*
I love everything BUT the Tilt-a-Whirl which just gives me a headache. I won't go on it. I don't go to the State Fair very often and don't usually go on the rides there. I like the rides at Six Flags, especially the roller coasters, but have noticed that the older I get, the harder they are to take.
If you'd gone last night, you could have taken part of the traditional closing night riots. I heard on the news this morning they needed oodles of cops in riot gear to break up the traditional celebration.
I used to ride more rides, now I'm old and too scared. *grin* I never rode the ones that went upside down though. *shiver*
I love the rides that go upside down. Love those. It's those spinny tilt a wheel kinda rides that make me barf.
*sigh* I miss those rides. That is one of the things I'm going to do first when I lose enough weight. I love all the flip, spin, twist-me-all-around type rides. But I WILL.NOT. go on the Ferris Wheel.
If I recall correctly, a girl in Kentucky recently had a terrible accident on a ride similar to the "drop." A cable snapped and got caught on his/her legs as it fell and SNAP! Her feet were gone. In August a girl in Wisconsin died when she fell from a freefall ride.
The older we get, the more equilibrium problems we have.
I hate those rides.
I just found this website:
http://www.rideaccidents.com/
Puffy <--- deliverer of Happy News
OMH, I hated the zipper. It scared the crap out of me. I can't go on any rides anymore. I'm just too afraid.
My dad used to scare us whenever we'd go on the ferris wheel by swinging the chair. Nice guy huh?
The funniest thing though is that I LOVE the Tilt-a-Whirl. LOVE IT! It was always my fave. I love the feeling of spinning around I guess. I also used to enjoy the ride where you stand up and it would spin around and around. I just don't like the high rides. I like to have my feet planted on the ground.
we have one of those drop rides at Kennywood. I think it's still there. The last time I rode it, I was with two of my friends. She didn't want to do it but he was going to but was too big. I rode it with two 14 year old boys. Fun! I want to go to Kennywood. I don't ride rides at fairs though. I much prefer them to be stationary. :)
I will take Conneer to the fair this year to see the animals, etc. But no rides. No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
I am more scared of what could happen to me on the rides than I am of the rides themselves.
Post a Comment