Tuesday, July 31, 2007

As if I needed more stress

Have I mentioned I have a SIL from hell? Yes? Oh. Well, for the most part, the problems that transpire between my brother and his wife are their own business. I get irritated and sad and angry at times, but have been pretty good at staying out of the mess they created. Until now.



It appears as though someone wrote an anonymous letter to SIL's parents. She lives with them now, btw. The letter was pretty harsh and whoever wrote it obviously prefers my family over hers. The letter called her out on her vanity, emotional and mental problems, her past marriages, the kind of friends she keeps and the parents inability to see this, and help her get help. I didn't read it myself and I know I'm forgetting some things in it.



My brother informed me that his DW suspected me among a few other people (the writer identified herself as a woman) as the sender. I'm not sure why I care so much, but this information infuriated me. For one, I would not have kicked her parents while they were down (so to speak) and the timing of the letter was dreadful. Cheryl had just *finally* been getting some real help while in the hospital and was diagnosed as having Bipolar Disorder and possibly Borderline Personality disorder as well. She was also told she has some anxiety problems (lol, who doesn't?) and also Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.



I'm not so upset that I am a suspect, as I can see based on the things written how she can think it was someone close enough to know certain details, and who obviously was protecting my brother. I guess I'm more upset that there is nothing I can do to prove it wasn't me. I confronted her on Sunday and told her point blank that it was not me. I looked her right in the eye and basically told her that I would say anything I needed to, to her face and that also, I would have deflected from myself much better, had I actually written it.



I found out later that she still suspects me. *sigh* Now what? I'm guessing some will say to 'just let it go', but that is really hard for me. I don't want her parents thinking that lowly of me. It seems really unfair to me. I've worked hard to get to know her parents, even inviting them to my own parents anniversary party, and then being the only one besides my mom who stayed to clean up after the reception for my brother and Cheryl. And now I'm in the doghouse?



Cheryl called me three times today because she was obsessing over things between her and DB. She asked me if I think he loves her, she asked me about things I've discussed with her aunt (who is a good friend of mine). She is also trying to trip me up and catch me in a lie about the letter. My brother confirmed that last part because he's witnessed how she operates and he could tell by the things she was asking me. It was obvious. I won't be answering her calls anymore.



As for my brother, he wants out. Why he doesn't just go and file for divorce, I don't know. He's afraid of looking bad, maybe? Gah, there is SO much more I could write about this, it's just too long and complicated. He really can't stand her right now and does not think he has what it takes to endure this with her. He has his own physical problems to deal with. I think he's afraid of breaking her heart, too. It's also becoming clear that Cheryl probably won't be focusing on her own problems. Even though she was finally diagnosed, she's still trying to figure out what's wrong with DB. She just can't see that her disorders were enough to undo things. She needs another person to point the finger at. Oh! And last night she accused DB of loving his children more than her! *snort* Ya think?



Ok, for those following this saga, thanks for reading. There are probably lots of gaps because I did not see where I last left off. I think the only part I hadn't updated you on was that she moved in with parents because my brother (and my parents) told them she could not come back to their house.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs* I'm so sorry.

I wonder if, given some of this information, your brother could get an annulment?

Jen said...

Wow. That's a whole lot of disorders.

As for her and her parents thinking you wrote that letter... Hmmm. All you can really do is tell them the truth and it's up to THEM to realize that you didn't do it. Don't beat your head up against a wall trying to prove your innocence. And really, do you think that once your brother finally gets free of her that you will even be seeing her parents much?

*hugs*

kim (weltek) said...

That's super sucky. Have you talked to her parents and made it clear you deny writing the letter? Alas, you have no proof, but still, talking about it is important for your sanity at least.

I like that you are calling her your SIL now so I can giggle. :-)

Boo has a point...can't the marriage be annuled this close to the date? Not that he'd probably follow through with hit anyway, but it might be less stigmatic than a divorce for him/her.

*hugs*

thndrkttn said...

mm, you are a WAY more patient and gracious person than I am. I'm you got dragged into this mess. There are few things that infuriate me more than being falsely accused. I find it sooooo frustrating! /Dani

On a lighter note, you're river pics above look great and I too always try to get the engineer to blare the horn. Good stuff!

MM said...

I don't think so, Boo. She gave enough clues and came right out and told him some of this before they were married. I think she just downplayed it all so he didn't realize how serious the effects would be.

Jen & Kim, now I'm kinda afraid to even approach them. I feel like I might make things worse and I'm already so frustrated I'm involved at all. But I still might, it just kinda depends on what heppens in the next few days.

Tkit, it's nice to know someone really understands. Others have told me to let it go and I was more frustrated because they really didn't know how it feels to be in this position.

The train horn is a long standing tradition. Kids get such a kick out of it (and so do I!). :)

Swami said...

I have no advice.
Just a hug.

Puffy said...

I haven't been around much lately and just got here to read a few days worth of posts. Love the shoes; *sends spear to mm to kill the animals in the water*; hugs re the DB issue. Keep posting about it; it helps to get it out of your system.