Thursday, July 05, 2007

Busy times

I have a lot going on right now, it seems. This Friday night is a party, Saturday is shopping and lunch with a friend of mine, and Saturday night is my brother's wedding reception. I also have family in town visiting, who I really need to make time to see. Then I have dinner plans on Tuesday night with my cousin. Oh, and an appointment this morning. *whew*

The fourth was nice. I went to my parents house and let the kids swim. My grandmother (one of the visiting relatives) came over with my uncle Lee, who I don't know too well, but got to know better after dinner. It was nice. My older brother and his (high maintenance) wife also stayed for the whole thing, so that was a pleasant surprise. Overall, a nice time.

I didn't read the thread on OT, but what did YOU all do? Do you do fireworks? I know you wouldn't have celebrated July 4th in Canada, but are fireworks legal there?

As for my last post, let's just say that I am dreading the fact that my children are reaching puberty. I am dreading the first realization that one or both *might* be aware of masturbation. I actually had a talk with DS recently and asked him point blank if he knew what it was. I could tell by the look on his face that he had not heard the term before, and we moved onto another subject before he asked. It was a talk about puberty, and body changes, and what to expect. I asked him first if he would prefer DH to talk to him, but he said he was fine with me. He is still very emotionally and physically immature (though every girl he sees now is "hot"). He has not had exposure to many other boys, so I would not be at all surprised if he hadn't learned anything yet.

At any rate, I'm just wondering, when do kids start doing it? Will I know? I'd rather not, of course, but if my son doesn't hide it well enough? Am I supposed to say something? Ack. This whole subject is uncomfortable.

14 comments:

Glowie said...

We went to my in-laws for the 4th. Cookout and fireworks. I'm very tired today because of all the keeping my poor dog calm and chasing him when he takes off in random directions. I don't even care about fireworks. If I enjoyed them even a little bit, I might be able to gloss over the animal terror.

ummmm... no advice on the masturbation conversation. sorry.

Bravie said...

We kept it low key with a bbq.
Also not much advice on the masturbation. I think each kid is different when it comes to when they start. I also think there wouldn't be much to talk about. They are going to do it if it is in their nature. No sense in ruining it for them by talking to them about it. *snort*

kim (weltek) said...

My blog talks about my holiday, but I forgot to mention we didn't see any fireworks. Kind of a bummer.

I think I'd rather not know when my child was masturbating. Like bravie said, doesn't seem there is much to talk about.

Swami said...

I think pubescent boys hint and joke about it endlessly. He'll figure it out soon enough. Maybe he just doesn't know your proper word for it yet?

I don't think you should worry about knowing when. It's really not your business. Unless he leaves sodden kleenex on the floor or something and then you have to tell him to clean up. I think most guys do it in the shower or tub so clean up is automatic. *Waits for MM to begin scrubbing the tub with extra vigor*

With girls, there is no trace. We can even be sitting right at our desks doing kegels & blissing out and nobody knows for sure, lol.

*smiles vaguely*

Bravie said...

*sits at desk*
*evil grin*

MM said...

Hey! Stop doing that in my blog!

Anonymous said...

I hosted the 4th and stressed about every little thing. I decided to go with glases and would you believe that people actually found styrofoam cups to use to drink from.

This bothered me (1) because those are Conner's special cups just like at school and (2) all they had to do was ask or just open the cabinets. I would hope someone would not feel so uncomfortable in my house that they wouldn't open a cabinet for a glass or that they would even for one second think that I would actually expect people to drink from those cups.

Regarding the masturbation thing, I don't know how to advise. I freak out a little inside my own head when Conner exclaims, "Wow, my pee pee is giant." I really would rather not know such things.

I dread the day that I have to explain to him how all of that works.

mtw said...

Signs of Male Masturbation:

1. Tissue consumption rises dramatically.
2. Shower times lengthen.
3. Private time in the bedroom increases.

I definitely don't want to know what my DD's are up to in that regard!

Glowie said...

hi. I got some awesome new lip balm and immediately thought of you. :) It's Malibu lip balm. Like Malibu Rum. I got coconut, pineapple and mango (*slaps ass*). Some dude at the venue in Erie had a big bag of them. I should have taken more. *grin*

Glowie said...

I was just putting some on and remembered that I forgot to tell you about it.

Schnookie said...

One of the few reasons I'm glad I don't have children :-)

~Nutz said...

Well! Having an almost 16 y.o. boy and knowing it's completely natural for them to do it... I have always just ignored it. I never say a word about it. I never wanted him to feel ashamed or embarrassed about it. I think it's best to not talk about it. He probably does it in the shower too, but mostly he just goes in his room and closes the door.

The girl child? I don't think she ever did that, but if she did I was clueless so she hid it well.

mtw said...

SO how was the wedding reception? Did your brother and his DW show up? Before the end, I mean.

mtw said...

Um, and how was shopping and lunch? (can't leave comments stuck at 13!)