Went to a thrift store yesterday with a friend, and found some good stuff! I got a DKNY corduroy, knee length maroon skirt ($5), a pair of new Mary Janes with a small heel for DD ($7),
a really nice fall looking purse, in beige and brown ($3) and a small, Shabby Chic tea-lite candle lamp ($2). I love finding good deals like that!
Know what I hate, though? When I go to Dictionary.com and type in a word like oh, I don't know tealite just to see if I'm spelling it correctly, and the prompt says, "did you mean tea lite?" So I click on that, and then it says, "No results found for tea lite". WTF? Why does it ask you (all condescendingly, IMO) if you meant something else, only to knock that down, too? Happens all the time. I just can't help but picture a little voice asking all sweetly, "did you mean...?" and then turning sour and mean and saying, "No you effing idiot, you spelled it so wrong we don't even have what we think might be the correct spelling!"
OK, that was my rant. I'm done. Unless I start in on the fact that my darling son knocked a large burning candle off the computer desk this evening, and the result is candle wax *everywhere* including the carpet on the floor. *double sigh*
One more thing, HBO has a show right now called Kama Sutra. Pass on it, it's horrifically stupid. ;-)
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




26 comments:
I totally agree about the condenscending (did I spell that right? I don't want to give dictionary.com the satisfaction) people at dictionary.com.
I think you put a paper towel or white cloth rag on the candlewax which is on the carpet and then iron over it. The wax will lift up from the carpet and attach to the paper towel or cloth.
Tahnks Puffy! I knew there was a trick like that, that would help. I'll try it.
On the night before my headache I drank a water glass full of Kama Sutra. I think there may have been a relationship there.
Shabby Chic household accessories are the best finds at a thrift store. People donate some lovely stuff along with all the carp.
If you're mad at dictionary.com just Google your word. Google fixes spelling. So unless your mispelling becomes another thing altogether Google will fix it.
I dunt get bawd spelink.
I'll email Michelle and ask her how to get candle wax out of the carpet.
LOL at your rant against dictionary.com!
Good finds at the thrift store. I love finding those kinds of bargains.
I have never been to a thrift store. I guess I'm a bit of a snob. I like new things.
LOL @ your rant. I've never had that happen. Usually when they suggest something, it turns out to be what I was looking for.
I don't have HBO. Damn! :)
LOL. You make me laugh MM :-)
I've never been in a thrift store. I spent my childhood wearing 2nd hand clothes.
Michelle agrees with the iron method. She also said that sometimes ice will work because it makes the wax brittle.
But the bad news is, she said that often candle wax will ruin the carpet.
It pays to have a carpet muncher, ooops, I mean a carpet distributer in my house.
*wipes spit off screen*
Thanks Carey, lol...
MM - I have this AMAZING stuff called "Goof Off". I've bought it from craft stores in the past, but most recently found it at The Home Depot. It's, basically, a solution that melts all kinds of adhesive: glue, chewing gum, wax, etc... It really is a miracle product. I googled "Goof Off" + carpet and I found this comment: "Apply the brand name, "Goof-Off" directly to the wax in the carpet. Wipe it up and out with a white rag. Then, use another white rag with mild soap and water to wash out the Goof-Off cleaner. It is not difficult using this method, and ALL of the wax will be gone."
I'm assuming they specify a white rag so that colour from a coloured rag doesn't transfer to the carpet.
Good luck!
Oh, some good advice re: "Goof Off" from the same page:
"Goof-off is a very strong solvent and should be tested on a hidden area to ensure it does not damage the carpet."
I have mixed feelings about Goof-off. It has worked miracles in some cases for me and not so much in others.
For some reason, I had a hell of a time removing spilled paint from the vinyl and it said that it would work on that. But it's worth a try.
I like to buy all my dildo's from thrift stores.
Whole new meaning to "second hand store", Zombs.
*joins other thrift store snobs*
I have no problem donating, I just can't seem to buy. I think it's just that if I don't want my own old stuff, why would I want someone else's?
LOL at dictionary rant. that happens wo me too.
I get stuff for my kids at the thrift store all the time. You have to do a lot of searching, but you can find colours and sizes for everyone if you try hard enough.
We got DS's favourite Power Rangers shirt there, as well as DD's skort.
That bugs me about dictionary.com too.
Can you find stuff at the thrift store that doesn't smell like pee? If so, then I'm all for it!
Yay for thrift stores! And yay for your new treasures from the thrift store! The guy and I love going to thrift stores to find snazzy new clothes.
The thrift stores around here really smell bad. That's probably because they don't wash the donations.
I've bought some great sweaters in thrift stores.
Goodwill is not the only thrift store out there. There are thrift stores with higher standards, where everything is cleanish and all clothes have been launderes. In St Paul there is one called Savers that is not bad. Goodwill prices on 2nd hand crap, but no stuffy used smell.
Did you ever get the wax out of your carpet?
Waxing the carpet is definately code.
*wonders if the wax in MM's carpet is Brazlian*
I love bargains like that! Unfortunately, I hate shopping of any kind.
*snort* @ the waxing the carpet code thingy.
Hee! :P
Post a Comment