Monday, October 23, 2006

So something came up...

...and now I have a question for you. Do you remember what age you were when you "learned" about sex? What grade were you in when your friends started talking about it? My DD recently told me that a boy in her grade (6th) brought a condom to school. *sigh* Also, I spent Friday with both the kids' classes, going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and I must admit, it was a strong reminder to me of how much the pre-teen years sucked. All the girls seemed to like the same clueless boy, and one girl ended up crying after hearing how he was going to ask another girl out. Oh the drama! I heard the phrase "holy snap!!" so many times I wanted to rip my ears off. (like every time someone saw a fish, "holy snap!!")

Anyhow, so I was wondering about what my kids were likely hearing in school about sex already, and I want to be prepared.

Here's the list of questions;

1. When did you start hearing kids referring to sex, often?
2. When did they start using profane terms, instead of "sex"?
3. When were you allowed to wear make up?
4. When were you allowed to start shaving?
5. What age were you allowed to start having a BF or GF?

18 comments:

Jen said...

Honestly? I have no clue. I cannot remember things like that. I don't remember most of my childhood. Hm. I think I was wearing make-up when I was 15. I might have been "allowed" earlier, but just didn't get into it. Shaving - 13? I really don't know.

kim (weltek) said...

My schooling was K-6 at elementary school, 7-8 at junior high and 9-12 at high school.

1. When did you start hearing kids referring to sex, often?
Sex itself, often? 10th grade
Sexual acts, often? 7th grade

2. When did they start using profane terms, instead of "sex"?
I don't recall ever using them when I was young, but upperclassemen in high school used vulgar terms a lot more.

3. When were you allowed to wear make up?
5th grade. I had acne, so my mom encouraged me to wear a little to cover it up, knowing I was self conscious.

4. When were you allowed to start shaving?
I think I asked to in 4th grade.

5. What age were you allowed to start having a BF or GF?
I started actual dating in 7th grade, although when I was out with friends in 5th & 6th grade I'd have various romantic interractions with boys...never called them my boyfriend, though.

kim (weltek) said...

Oh, and I was a very early developer. I got my period in 4th grade.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I read Valley of the Horses in Grade 6.

I was never into makeup or anything though. I didn't have my period until I was 16 and didn't really have anything that resembled a figure until then either.

Kids talked about it starting in junior high (grade 7-9), but it wasn't discussed in actual terms until high school.

mm said...

Wow, I hope this means the kids aren't hearing as much as some people imply they do. Perhaps the condom boy was a fluke? DD wants to start shaving but I'm making her wait until next year. Make-up? Sheesh. Maybe when she's 14? I hate feeling pressured to let her do things just because "the other kids are doing it".
I think I was in 7th grade before I started hearing about it regularly, too.

Anonymous said...

1. When did you start hearing kids referring to sex, often?

I don't know that I really remember specifically. It was probably 5th grade. I know that's when we had the "talk" in school. So then we all became curious. I also remember reading a book at the library about that time. And I laughed at the descriptions.

2. When did they start using profane terms, instead of "sex"?

Profane terms? Probably not until high school. I think that's the first time I heard anything profane.

3. When were you allowed to wear make up?

I don't think I was ever told when I could or couldn't. I remember wearing it in 7th grade. There was a girl named Kristi who taught me how. Blue eyeshadow. Ick. Then I went to Merle Norman on my own to learn the correct way. I used my babysitting money for the lesson.

4. When were you allowed to start shaving?

Again, no rules. I remember we all started shaving at camp. Probably around 11 or 12.

5. What age were you allowed to start having a BF or GF?

HA! When I was 14, my BF was 19. His mother freaked (and rightfully so). My mother had no opinion.

kim (weltek) said...

Boo is such a hussie.

mtw said...

1. I really don't remember when the sex talk started. Probably about 7th grade? The whole "do you like her", "does he like me" (from the girls) started in 4th grade, though, and got more frequent in 5th and 6th.

2. Profane terms? Started using profane terms in 5th grade, no idea when we were actually referring to SEX.

3. My parents didn't discourage makeup use at any age.

4. My parents didn't discourage shaving. I think I started when I was 19 or 20. Maybe older.

5. I never had rules in regards to being allowed to have a GF.

Puffy said...

Holy snap! I love the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
1. When did you start hearing kids referring to sex, often?
never
2. When did they start using profane terms, instead of "sex"?
never
3. When were you allowed to wear make up?
Most girls started wearing make-up in 7th grade, which was the start of Junior High. My mom bought me a light pink lipstick from Merle Norman *waves to Boo*
4. When were you allowed to start shaving?
I agonized for months about asking my mom. I think it was about 13 years old.
5. What age were you allowed to start having a BF or GF?
In 5th and 6th grade,we talked about having BF's and GF's and who liked whom, and we had co-ed dance parties, but I had my first real BF at 14.

I've never heard "holy snap" before.

momma said...

Come visit my blog later...I've got an entry from hell about Rotten1 that will skeer you.

As for me...
1. When did you start hearing kids referring to sex, often?
Sex itself, often? 6th grade
Sexual acts, often? 6th grade

2. When did they start using profane terms, instead of "sex"?
Hmm...depends on how profane we're talking here. Probably 7th-8th grade.

3. When were you allowed to wear make up?
7th grade or so.

4. When were you allowed to start shaving?
This was a huge sore spot for me as a girl. I wanted to in 6th-7th grade and my stepmom refused until I was 14. Horrendous teasing ensued.

5. What age were you allowed to start having a BF or GF?
We started "going together" in like 5th grade. Of course, that didn't mean a whole lot back then. Actually allowed to go out with groups of people, around 8th grade. A one on one type date wasn't until my freshman year, I guess.

momma said...

Oh, and when did the "holy snap" start? And where? Both of the Rottens use it and it drives me bonkers!

Bravie said...

Umm, I could have sworn that I responded here this morning.
I honestly don't remember any of these. I guess I'm so damn old that it was too long ago to remember.

mm said...

Seems like a pretty common range for when things get rolling, based on the answers here. Except for Carey, of course, who will be lucky if she can remember that tomorrow is Tuesday. *grin*

Thanks for the help, guys!

Bravie said...

Tomorrow isn't Tuesday. *grin*

mm said...

Brat. :P

Schnookie said...

Although it might be annoying to hear them saying "holy snap", I'd much rather hear that than "holy crap".

1. When did you start hearing kids referring to sex, often?
I'm going to go with the first year of junior high. I think I was 13? That's the year that taking the school bus was the scariest thing for me. There was a lot of crazy hormone stuff going on with the boys. Half the boys on the bus would throw sandwiches at the girls, the other half would try to grab the girls into the back and molest us. Seriously, they would molest us. Hands down our blouses and pants. Nobody did anything to help us. Was the worst year of my life. Oh yeah, we weren't safe even outside the bus. During the winter, they would grab us and throw us behind the snow banks and try to molest us there.

2. When did they start using profane terms, instead of "sex"?
I cannot remember.

3. When were you allowed to wear make up?
I was probably around 13 or 14 when I started wearing make-up. My mom never talked to me about make-up or anything else (periods, shaving, sex, boys etc). It was an aunt that gave me some make-up when she saw me one summer. I can't recall my mom ever telling me not to wear it.

4. When were you allowed to start shaving?
I cannot remember when I started shaving so I don't think there was an issue with my mom.

5. What age were you allowed to start having a BF or GF?
I think I was 14 or 15 when I started going out with boys. I don't think there was an issue with my mom.

~Nutz said...

I don't have time to think about all my answers, but I can tell you I didn't wear makeup until 8th grade and had my first real BF at 15.

Nutzgirl could wear makeup in 8th grade and was able to date at 15. I made her wait until she was at the age I was because I couldn't justify making her wait longer.

It does seem that kids these day learn a whole lot more about sex way earlier than we did. I think some of their innocence has been lost to the media and the influence of older siblings.

lights said...

1. When did you start hearing kids referring to sex, often?

Probably in grade 7. I can relate to Nookie's bus ride horror stories. Was this a Canadian thing?

2. When did they start using profane terms, instead of "sex"?

On the bus.

3. When were you allowed to wear make up?

I never asked. I didn't start wearing makeup until I had been married for a few years. Had my makeup done when I was in a friend's wedding party and liked it so I started after that.

4. When were you allowed to start shaving?

Probably in grade 7. Honestly can't remember.

5. What age were you allowed to start having a BF or GF?

About a year after I started dating Dusterboy.

I led a pretty sheltered life. I think the first time I ever heard about sex was from my first cousin. No, not in an incest kind of way! He lived in Toronto and was so much more worldly than his little country bumpkin cousin.

I vaguely remember letting on that I knew exactly what he was talking about and then going home and wondering what the hell he was talking about. That's when the curiousity thing kicked in. *giggle*