Thursday, August 14, 2008

*knock knock*

Is everyone gone for the week? I think we've lost a couple of our girls to Bahston, and I am also leaving today for the weekend. Perhaps while I'm gone, you can answer me this;

Is it wrong or right to look at your spouse's text messages without asking permission?
Perhaps there is no "right" or "wrong" but I'd like to know your opinions, anyways.

Anyways, that's it for me. I'm packing, looking for my camera (what the hell will I do if I can't find it!??!) and figuring out HTF I'm going to eat healthy this weekend while I'm surrounded by carnival/fair food and family reunion-ish type foods. *sigh* Wish me luck!

And for those of you who are peep meeting, pics please!!!

8 comments:

Swami said...

Well, I don't text but Tom reads my emails. Actually I have any entries to my blog emailed to me and he read those first, before his own emails! I tell him you can't have a vicarious virtual life because, well I don't know why - but you can't. Anyway, I don't care. I could always open a "secret" yahoo account if I decide I want to have stuff he doesn't read.

Text messages would be stored on your phone?

Puffy said...

We don't text message either. The internet and cell phones open up new etiquette rules. My first thought is to NOT look at your spouse's text messages. It's your own phone, not shared.

lights said...

Neither Dave or I text. Dave doesn't do computers period. I have looked through his wallet on occasion. Just out of curiousity.

I'm glad he doesn't read blogs or emails. It's my place to bitch and moan about him. *grin*

Bravie said...

It's probably not right. But right and wrong for other people aren't up to me. I don't look in any of Michelle's accounts. I have all of her passwords for her emails and her phone and any online accounts. But I think that is her stuff and her business so I don't ever check. She doesn't have my passwords and I wouldn't give them to her if she asked. If she wants to read my emails or text messages, I would gladly open any of those and let her read. I don't have anything there that she shouldn't read. But they are mine and I don't feel it is her right to have free access. I do most of my venting about her through email with Breezy. She doesn't need to read what I write when I am venting about her. She knows that I vent to Breezy and I usually tell her most of what I have said about her but it isn't hers to go and read. Vice versa. I don't need to read if she is venting about me.

Anonymous said...

This can be a tricky question.

I feel like I should be able to talk to my husband about anything, and I pretty much can. But sometimes there are just times when I need to talk to someone else. I also consider a lot of my girltalk to be locker-room talk.

My husband is not a big tech person. And so he literally talks to his buddies. And on occasion he has shared some of that conversation with me, but it's not like I have to know every single thing that's said. That's his space. My email, blogs, texts (if applicable) are mine.

I am very careful to make sure that any communications I have with any male that is not my husband are communications that do not cross any sort of line.

Having said all of that, I do think that there are times when it is okay for a spouse to read the other's email, texts, etc. While the internet is a wonderful place to meet people, develop relationships, etc., it can also be such a web of lies. And if you're lying to your spouse or cheating on your spouse (and I consider cyber affairs to be affairs), then I feel like your spouse deserves to know the truth - by any means necessary. Sometimes the end justifies the means.

kim (weltek) said...

If you are just curious for no reason, I say leave texts and emails alone. If you are suspicious they are hiding something that greatly impacts your relationship, then I think it's free game.

I like the example Bravie gave. Michelle knows that Bravie vents to Breezy via email, and those vents are sometimes about her. I know Chris vents to his brother sometimes about us, and that's fine. Everyone needs to vent, regardless of the mode, but I think it's good for spouses to know who you are venting to and in many instances, the spouse should know why you are venting.

kim (weltek) said...

Oh, and I'll post some 3 Day pics soon. They are on my home computer and I need to transfer them to work because home is soooooo slow.

Lasann has a few pics from our Boston peep meet (one with AyaK, too!).

Terry said...

I agree with Puffy.