I've been meaning to update since getting back, and even started a post, but just didn't seem to want to hit that stupid post button. Anyways, as boring as it is, here's the update.
Here's a few of the things that we did over the weekend or things I thought were noteworthy:
The hike - I took (dragged) my kids up the mountain with me on Friday in the middle of the day. The temp was 99 degrees. It was miserably hot, but I was determined. We made it up one mountainside, down another and halfway up the next when my kids decided we heard a noise. Ok, I heard it too, but still. We were SO close to the lighthouse and I did *not* want to go back. They flat out refused to go any further and I reluctantly headed back down. I was nervous too, as the noise I heard sounded like a bull snort (not that I know exactly what that sounds like) and I certainly didn't want to run into any animals out there, but at the same time, this was a hike I did regularly as a kid and we never had any trouble. Next time, we'll take a few more people and go earlier in the day when it's not so hot.
Carnival rides - I did the Gravitron, the Kamikaze and the Orbiter. Not sure if you know what any of these are but suffice it to say, they make you feel queasy and dizzy. My kids would only do the orbiter with me so I was with my cousin Kelsey for the others. I felt young and silly and had a good time. Until I got OFF the ride and felt old and foolish and sick, lol.
Sleeping outside - My aunt and uncle have a balcony/deck built off their second floor master bedroom. They recently replaced their mattresses, so they have real mattresses out there this summer (as opposed to air mattresses). It was so nice to sleep comfortably outside, under the stars. It wasn't even cold (which was a first for me) when I woke up in the middle of the night.
The coffee - I don't make coffee at home, but I *love* having it every morning at my aunt's house. She drinks it all day (she pretty has to to keep her energy up; I've never seen anyone work as hard as her. Seriously.) and she had cinnamon bun creamer. Oh. my. god, was it good! It makes me want to start brewing coffee at home every morning, but I'm the only one who would drink it, so I probably won't bother.
The Fox - ::controversy alert:: So, I woke up one morning from my uncle calling my name. I stand up and look over the railing of the balcony and see my son holding a dead fox and a gun. Apparently, my uncle had set traps the night before and took DS with him to check them. There was a fox in one and it needed to be shot. My son did it with a pistol. *sigh* My aunt took pics of him with the fox. Not sure how I feel about this. I grew up with this sort of thing from my grandfather because he had a farm and he set traps to keep coyotes and whatever else from getting his animals. My uncle does it for the same reason. Not sure if it's even legal, now that I think about it. Your thoughts? Is it barbaric? Wrong?
Anyways, that is a partial update on my weekend.
Since then, I've been working and today I was off but let the kids have a swim party since school starts on Monday. Friday will be school shopping. I cannot wait for a day off where I can actually be home, kwim?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




11 comments:
*cries*
Sorry. :(
I bought that cinnamon bun creamer. I agree that it was very tasty, but I have to admit that I got tired of it kind of quickly and didn't buy another bottle when we finished the first one. I like the creme brulee creamer.
We had a fox in our yard last summer. Maybe it was two summers ago. It was a complete surprise; I'd never seen a fox around here outside of the forest preserve.
I've never had any reason to trap/kill animals (except mice) because I've always been a suburban girl, so for me, it makes me sad. But if I had a farm and other animals to protect I might feel differently (like I do about the mice.)
What did you fear in the hike? Bigfoot is dead & frozen, lol. But seriously? NINETY-NINE FREAKING DEGREES!!!! That would kill me dead, and coughing animals could eat my corpse.
Lol! The last time I did a roller coaster I got off and thought: okay. I'm done with that part of life.
I think all flavored creamers taste amazing the first time or two you have them, but after that they just seem to be trying too hard or something. I have never bought a flavored creamer that got finished before it expired.
Soon you will know if your son has the hunting gene. I think some kids (mostly boys) who have a "kill" before they reach adulthood start to want more kills. Not in a creepy way or anything! Just some guys have a hunting gene, and once exposed they need to hunt. I don't quite understand it, but I believe this to be true.
I don't quite get trapping, unless it's a real issue with animals killing your farm animals and it's the only option at night.
I otherwise find it a little barbaric, as the animal suffers.
I agree with Swami about creamers. I never, ever, ever finish a bottle. It's a short lived novelty to me. I'm a black coffee kinda girl.
I only had the cinnamon bun creamer two times, so maybe you're right, Fro. But man, when you're not expecting anything, it was a nice surprise, lol!
I have never seen a fox in the wild, myself. Weird, considering how much time I spent there as a kid.
Swami, I was afraid of bears and mountain lions of course! Or rabid raccoons. :) I'm a fraidy cat in general. I was also scared of snakes. But mainly, because of all the fires right now, I was afraid of misplaced bears or lions. I was on a trail that rarely gets used and I saw fresh scat of some kind (god that's a terrible word. What's another word I could use??).
The heat was awful for sure, but like I told my kids, a little sweat wouldn't kill them, lol.
My son does *not* have the hunting gene. He only went through with this because he wanted to please my uncle. My uncle doesn't "hunt" either. He only sets traps when there have been attacks on the farm animals.
I agree Kim, I hate knowing that the animal suffers. :( Black coffee?? *impressed* lol
For not having a lot to update, ou sure updated.
I asked Michelle if she wanted to ride Gravitron at the fair this year. She declined. I was glad because the last time I rode it I remembered that I don't do spinny rides well.
Hey! Are you coming to the State fair? I'd go on the gravitron with you. :)
Or we could skip the gravitron and share a funnel cake. Yeah, that's a better idea.
I MISS hiking. I loved to do it in Utah. My wife hated it. Damn, I miss that.
Noooo! I would have wanted to give my permission before letting my son shoot the fox. Boys and guns *shakes head*
Post a Comment