Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Clothing question

Not sure about everyone's weight here, but I guess what I'm curious about is whether you keep more than one size in your closet, in case you yo-yo. My mother has three sizes, in full wardrobes! It's crazy. I realized I do too, but not full wardrobe amounts. I have some old clothing I keep for sentimental reasons, current clothes and clothes I *hope* to fit in someday, lol.

I was thinking about all this because for old times sake, I got into my old clothes yesterday and tried stuff on, My wedding dress fits, though not exactly the same, lol! I have a suede skirt that I will likely never fit into again, but it's my goal. I don't think they are even in style any more! I last wore it when I was 16. I can't imagine wearing it again, so why do I keep it?

So does anyone here keep clothing for sentimental reasons? Do you have "goal" clothes?

13 comments:

Bravie said...

I have a lot of 49er stuff and old concert tshirts that I refuse to get rid of. But I have them in vacuum sealed packs under the bed. :)

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

It's usually a pair of jeans that I want to get into.. I finally did, they are soft, and worn, and now finally a little too worn. Will probably have to depart with them soon.

I have made several items of clothing in my closet, so it is much harder to get rid of them - sentimental value.

I should get a vacuum packer like Bravie...

Zombs said...

I keep a pair of button fly, denim cut offs, very short, frayed edges size 6 that I wore all the time(last time was maybe 7 years ago)

I think it would be physically impossible for me to ever fit into those again. That was pre-children hips. Even if I lost 50 pounds I don't think I would.

I also refuse to give up my action pants(powerpuff girl sleep pants) even though I now hav ea huge hole in crotch. But those fit.

Anonymous said...

Good question.

I cannot fit into my wedding dress. I don't want to try. I do not have full wardrobes of different sizes, but I have a few different sizes. Partly because I can't part with stuff and the other because different brands fit differently.

I have about 8 pair of jeans in my closet ranging in sizes from 8 to 14. I cannot wear the 8s.

I have a favorite green wrap skirt that is a size 6. I will never part with it, ever. Because it is a wrap skirt, I could still wear it when I was an 8. I have another plaid skirt that is an 8.

I guess my goal is to get back to an 8.

mtw said...

LOL. I wish you hadn't asked.

I have two sizes of pants in m closet. For a long time I was on the bigger size and for a couple of years I got down to the lower size and put all the bigger ones on a separate hanging rod in my closet.

Sadly, I have started to wear the bigger ones now. I can still wear some of the smaller ones, but not all of them. Hopefully, after New Year's I'll lose a little weight and put the big pants back where they belong - out of the rotation.

Jen said...

I probably have 3 different sizes in my closet, too. Stuff I don't fit into anymore slowly gets pushed to the back of the closet and I am too lazy to clean it out. I also have a bunch of stuff that I've never even worn. Stuff I bought and got home and it didn't fit, but I liked it and didn't want to return it so I think maybe someday if I lose weight... lol.

I don't think I really have anything sentimental. Except maybe my comfy sweatshirt that I've had since high school and I still wear all the time. I can't give up my sweatshirt!! :)

I was actually just thinking the other night that I should try and sell my bridesmaid dress. I'm certainly never going to wear it again and I don't have an emotional attachment to it.

Puffy said...

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, and *sigh* yes.

Debcapsfan said...

I gave away three big trash bags full of clothes when I moved into my own apartment. Before that I rented space in a house. It was great. I think I might have a t-shirt or two from high school, but that's it.
I have an old Caps jacket I wore all the time in high school, it's red satin and pretty fug. But I won't give it away. :)

Schnookie said...

LOL. I have a couple of sizes in jeans and tops but definitely not whole wardrobes for each size.

I do keep clothes for sentimental reasons. Souvenir t-shirts, wedding outfit and bridesmaid outfit.

I also keep two little summer dresses that are size 5. Yes, I once was a size 5 (I think for 3 months LOL). I keep the dresses just to prove to myself that I was once that small. I know I will never fit into them again. DH laughs at me because I keep them.

Anonymous said...

Nookie: That is so funny. I have a dress that I bought before I got pregnant. So I didn't get to wear it that summer. I love the dress. It might not quite be stylish now, I'm not sure.

Anywho, I have kept it - tags and all. I think in some regards, it is my "goal" dress. I think it's a 7.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I have clothes in different sizes, but it doesn't vary much right now. I mentioned before I lost a bunch of weight after grd school, so all the "nice" clothes I shipped down to Boston after 6 months in storage didn't fit at all.

Right now, I am wearing my skinniest jeans. I assume Christmas will take care of that.

Swami said...

I am old, no? So I have clothing in avariety of sizes in my closet. I save favorite items quite regularly - or so my overstuffed closets tell me. I have a burgundy suede skirt from the 70s I will probably never fit into again but I love, it's mine and I'm keeping it!

I was very skinny when I married Tom so I'm sure my wedding dress no longer fits. Although if I die of a long, lingering and debilitating illness maybe I could be buried in it. Maybe.

The oldest item of clothing I have is a teeshirt from my first summer dude camp - Little Buckaroo - when I was 8 years old.

MM said...

Loved hearing all your answers! I'm glad I'm not the only one hanging onto old clothes, lol!
Swami wins with the oldest item of clothing! From when you were 8 years old, that's so sweet!