Let me begin by saying that because some of our fellow bloggers are mothers, it's kinda hard for me to do this. I have no idea if my rant includes anyone I know here, so if it does, I'll apologize now and just say that this is *my* opinion, and should not be taken personally. Here I go;
I went to see Knocked Up on Saturday night. The movie was at 10pm and surprisingly had quite a few people in it, despite the movie not being a new release. I had heard from some friends that it was somewhat crude, so I was expecting it to be similar to American Pie and those sorts of movies. It definitely was. The humor was mostly sexual and they dropped the "F" bomb regularly. There was a lot of drug use as well (marijuana). None of this bothered me in the slightest until I noticed a family with their 4 year old daughter with them (guessing on the age)! Ok, here's the part where if you would have taken *your* child to this movie, you may want to stop reading.
WTF are people thinking? How selfish is it to drag a child along to a 10pm movie that has nothing good in it for them, because what? you couldn't get a sitter? God forbid you stay home! This little girl saw sex, bongs, and heard every bad word imaginable. Unless she was both blind and deaf, in which case I would still say it was selfish to make her sit there. *sigh*
When DH and I went to see Wedding Crashers, the same thing happened. A mother and small child sat in front of us. I spent most the movie cringing, instead of laughing. I could see how one person (the mother who brought the child to Wedding Crashers) could be stupid enough to do it, but to see a whole group, endorsing the fact that this little girl was watching Knocked Up? I can't believe it.
Tell me, is it that people think they're too small to understand? I know my brother and my cousin have taken their infants to movies like that, assuming they couldn't understand anything, but 4 years old? Gimme a break! And I know I might be too uptight and on the other end of the spectrum but frankly, when I was pregnant, I no longer allowed DH to use certain words around me. They might not understand it, but isn't it being "banked" somewhere? I don't know.
People who know me know that I am pretty tolerant of most things and I try so hard not to be judgmental, but the one thing I get all worked up about is lazy parenting. This includes not disciplining as well. It includes all the asshats who buckle their own GD seat belts, but let the kids bounce around unbuckled. It includes parents who smoke within feet of a child with no ventilation around.
Am I out of line? Eh, maybe you shouldn't answer that. I hope nobody has been offended by my rant, but I needed to get it out. And FTR, as a parent, I know we all do selfish things at times, so I'm not trying to say we're supposed to be perfect. I guess I just try to refrain from conscious choices that have negative effects on our kids. I can even see walking into a movie, hoping it will be ok, but for Cod's sake, walk back out when it crosses a line.
So, anyone else have any rants they'd like to share?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




17 comments:
I agree with your rants and will add one of my own.
Every Saturday night we go to a local bar and have a couple drinks. And every Saturday night in walks this young couple (early twenties), the girl is pregnant. *sigh* Why? Why would you endanger your unborn child by coming to a smoke filled bar? It takes everything I have to not say something to her every damn time I see her.
Nope, I don't think you are out of line. Does this mean that I should leave my four year old at home when we go to the stip club this Friday? *evil grin*
I agree. In fact, I was appalled when I saw so many people with their small children at The Lord of the Rings. That'll give them nightmares.
Actually, I know of a girl in DD's class who "loved" horror movies. Her mother didn't have any trouble renting Friday the 13th for her when they were both in Junior Kindergarten.
I agree completely. In fact, I probably monitor the kids' intake of movies and TV shows much more than their friends' parents do. Or at least, some of their friends parents.
To give you an example...for Rotten2's birthday, we planned to see Shrek 3, as that's what she wanted. I allowed each child to invite a friend. When we got to the theater, the movie was sold out - an hour before the show began. I made each child call their parents to ask if it was okay to see Spiderman, or if they'd prefer to wait until the next Shrek showing.
I dunno, I guess when it's a concious choice to be made, it irks me much more than if it is an accidental decision, if that makes sense. I smoke, but I don't smoke around the kids or in the house. I do it so their exposure is severely limited. I drink, but I refuse to drink more than 1-2 if the kids are around. I think it kinda goes along with Bravie's post today...so many people desperately need a common sense convenience store.
I'm so glad to see some of the mom's here understanding what I mean.
Breezy, if she's that selfish while she's pregnant, there's little doubt she'll be selfish when the baby comes, too. *sigh*
LOL Carey! Unfortunately, I don't think there are any strip clubs where we're going, but I'll look into it. ;-)
Seana and Momma, I don't know why but I've always been particularly uptight about the kids' movie viewing. I'm so glad they will be 12 next month as it opens so many possibilities. I'm even renting some older movies that they used to be too young for, that are now ok.
In addition to a common sense convenience store, I want some kind of common sense taser gun as well. *grin*
I'm obviously not a mom, but as the aunt of a 4-almost-5-year-old, I can agree with everyone else. I can't imagine taking Tate to see a movie like that. *shakes head*
My mom used to take me to movies that had sexual themes in them when I was a pre-teen. It is very uncomfortable being in the theater next to your mom during a nude sex scene.
These must be the same parents who I see with their school age children in Walmart at 1 a.m.
My rant: ungiving, selfish daughters who let their brother and his wife do everything for their mother. See my blog for details.
I agree about the kids at adult movies. Leave them at home or stay home yourself.
I think you worry too much.
Your brother's wife was likely one of those kids and she turned out just fine.
For a psycho
I can't think of any excuse beyond lazy selfishness for taking a 4 year old to a late-night adult movie. She's too young and it's too late.
That said, my oldest DD is - like me - a lifelong SciFi fan and I took her to many an adult SciFi movie when she was a child (ten and above) and a young teen. The difference was that back in the day the violence portrayed was not nearly so visceral. I never took her to any movies that involved casual violence on women - which is kind of staple these days and makes me so freakin' mad!
Really, seeing Sigourney Weaver triumph over the Alien was a very good experience every time.
OMG, this sounds like the rant Breezy and I had after the INXS concert! Stupidblondewench in the very front row had her two young children with. She and her children were pressed against a metal fence. JD was wearing an explicit t-shirt and swore quite a few times. In previous tour dates, JD did the microphone sex thing (very sexually explicit actions during a song), so I was afraid of something similar in front of these kids.
I gave her the benefit of the doubt and thought she hadn't seen INXS before. We still thought it was irresponsible parenting to keep your young kids up this late, possibly damage their hearing by being so close at a concert (there were no ear plugs I could see) and exposing them to possible danger of being hurt (there was a fist fight just two rows back and general pushing going on all the time).
Have I mentioned that most INXS songs also are quite sexual? Did she not realize this?
Come to find out, she was posting a concert review on an INXS board (I'm sure it was here) and she'd been to their concerts before. Nice judgement, lady.
No strip clubs? *sigh* Fine.
Reason #8456 bravie does not have children.
Agreed, Kim.
I have to tell ya though. Last night we watched wife swap and I was actually more appalled by the tock n roll family than I was the stuffy asshole religious family. The rock n roll family really neglected their children.
But they did have a cool refridgerator with a keg built in and a keg tap on the outside. So you never had to open the fridge for a beer. I want one.
But I kinda thought that it was sot super conducive to raising healthy children. LOL
Reason #4895 why Chris and Kim don't have children: The Kegerator.
Your rant mirrors the rant I had when DH and I went to see Clerks 2 last summer. A family with four small children got up and left the theatre when the subject of the "donkey show" came up. That's all very well and good, but WTF were they doing there in the first place? I never considered bring SD with us, and she was 14 at the time.
Also, the number of small children I saw in theatres at the Spider-Man movies was disturbing. I heard a couple of them crying during the final fight scene between Spidey and the Green Goblin. Too intense for kids!
Hi Velva! Thanks for your comment. Not sure if I know you as someone else, somewhere else? Do I?
Post a Comment