Thursday, February 15, 2007

"Darn city kids..."

*sigh* I miss the way my grandfather would mumble that under his breath every time we messed something up on his farm. Couldn't seem to pluck the chickens good enough, I refused to drink milk from the cow, was afraid of the geese... goodness I could go on about the way I just couldn't cut it. /reminiscing]

Today, I was out on the nature trail with the kids and my dad, when I spotted a small fish that had died in a dried up hole (recent rains had moved everything around). I pointed it out to the kids, and we kept going. On the way back, I pointed it out again (umm, we don't see a lot of wildlife here in the city, so it was pretty exciting stuff) and this time, DD noticed that it was still alive! I thought it was a tiny baby guppyish type fish, so I told her to grab it and let it go in the water. She went to it, and grabbed it's tail, when it started wiggling all over the place. She screamed and dropped it. She kept trying, while I kept encouraging her, thinking "this is really good for her, stinkin' little city kid". Finally, DS decided to be the big man and do it. Umm, no. Same scenario. Fish wiggled, kid screams. *sigh* So, what was I supposed to do? I walked over to the cute little thing and showed them how to do it. Except umm, it started wiggling, and I screamed...and uh, yeah. So now I decide to grab a big clump of grass, thinking if I use the grass to wrap around the slimy fish, maybe I can do it. It didn't work. By now, DD and dad have long since left DS and I, and I can't bring myself to let the fish die. I have now determined that it is a catfish, and I know they can live in mud for days, so I have high hopes that it will survive, if only it could be moved to the water. I keep looking for another person to come by, but no such luck.

So I try again, and this time, the little son of a bitch STINGS me with it's nasty baby whisker! WTF!? I had no idea that catfish stings hurt so bad! And that they make you bleed! It was not a life-threatening sting, but really I was lucky that it was a baby, otherwise, who knows? I had to wipe my finger on my jeans 4 times to get the blood off. I felt pretty weak after that, prolly from the blood loss. /drama]

I was about to give up (really, after it almost killed me, was I obligated to save it's ungrateful ass?) when I spotted a plastic bag on the ground a few yards away (darn litterbugs). This time, I used the bag to protect me from touching the fish, and I was able to pick him up! I quickly dropped him into the water, and DS and I high-fived each other, and started singing The Fray's "How to Save a Life". *dorky grin*

So that? Was our big adventure. *looks all proud*

Oh! And one more thing, my son's basketball team won today's game 73 - 52! Go Bears!



17 comments:

Bravie said...

Thanks for the giggle. LMAO. You city freak.

Jen said...

*snort* Could you be any cuter? :)

~Nutz said...

OMG! I wish I was there to see this! ;-)

mtw said...

I had a hard time getting past the idea of you plucking chickens, but after moving on and reading the rest of the story, I have to wonder... are you sure it wasn't an alligator? They are clever little things!

And will you please switch to new blogger already so that I don't have to keep copying and pasting my comments (or risk losing them)?

*smooch*

mm said...

Hmmm...alligator, huh? You know, I bet you are right. I've always known there were alligators on the nature trail, and I suppose it's possible. Now I'm wondering if the fish worked for an alligator, and it was all a set-up? Maybe the fish lured (ha!) me to the spot, and the gator was waiting in the grass...and what I thought was a sting was really a bite? That would also explain the massive blood loss. Damn them!

*horrified*
*sees it all clearly now*

mm said...

Oh, and yes, I'll be switching soon. I kept waiting for Carey to ask me, but...*sigh*

Whatever.

Puffy said...

I thought you weren't talking to your dad. Is that issue resolved? You and your son (I love looking at the pictures on your blog) will always remember this day.

I didn't realize the new bloggers had such a difficult time with us old bloggers' blogs.

mm said...

Puffy, my dad and I are slowly starting to be around each other, but we are not talking about the "issue" at all. It's really between my mom and I.

*smooch*

Puffy said...

*smooch*

Bravie said...

I'm not good at asking. I'm better at telling. So switch over to the new blogger. NOW!!!!
the POTI has spoken. *evil grin*<--just cuz I like to do that here.

HistoryDetective said...

Hmmm, after the stinging took place I would have decided that it was time for catfish to become dinner.

Of course, I wouldn't have anything to do with cleaning the fish or cooking it. That would have to be somebody else's job.

Swami said...

Good for you, MM! Even it it was just a catfish. And?

Ouchie. Catfish stings are nasty. I remember fishing once as a kid and someone caught a big catfish which stung him while he was trying to get it off his hook so he dropped it to the bottom of our little row boat.

It sloshed around alive all over the bottom of the boat so we all pulled our feet up in terror and put them on the sides of the boat. Fish would not die. Eventually we had to row back to shore with our feet up in the air so some adult could save us.

mtw said...

I think the fish was working for your MOM! Now that's downright evil!

mtw said...

*smooch*

Can't leave comments at 13!

lights said...

City people! *rolls eyes* I guess I'll have to put your leach on the hook for you when you come fishing with me then, huh? *giggle*

Being a farm girl I remember my Dad and country cousins laughing at my poor city cousins all the time.

We used to get our milk straight from my cousin's farm when I was a kid. I had no problem with it as long as it was cold and shaken.

Seana said...

OMG you are so. cute.

Seana said...

oh, and New Blogger be damned!