Tuesday, February 27, 2007

For Glow

Part 2, The (long) Conclusion

When I left off, I was actually on the phone with the anonymous caller. After assuring me I was not in danger, the caller said, "this is Justin, I got your number from Krissi". Justin is my brother's friend. The one who was with him that night in the hot tub. I was relieved, but also pretty angry. I laughed (from the relief) and then told him I was not happy about it. I asked him to turn off the voice changer, but he said he couldn't once he was on the phone. He then told me he routinely calls girls, with the disguised voice, to say the things he wants to, but doesn't feel the courage to say. Then he asked me a very crude question. I was completely baffled, and began to grow uncomfortable again. I don't know Justin very well personally, but had only heard very good things about him. This didn't sound *anything* like the Justin I knew, or had heard about. He began to say things suggesting he thought I had "feelings" for him. He said he felt the same way. So at this point, I realized he was insane. Not at ALL the person everyone thought he was.

There was just no way Justin could actually have "feelings" for me, nor could he have really thought *I* had feelings for him. We had been at many of the same gatherings (at our friend Jennifer's house), and we had talked to each other a bit, but never had any major conversations. For him to imply otherwise seriously concerned me.

I knew I had to tell my brother, and the female friends we have. I was on the phone with him for a few minutes, trying to be polite, and trying to get off the phone. I kept waiting (and hoping) for him to say it was all a joke. I finally told him he must be drunk, and I didn't want to talk to him while he was like that, and that the voice changer freaked me out. I told him I would talk to him tomorrow. I was holding out hope that it was a joke, or that at least he would take some of the things he said, back, the next day. I called my friend again and told her everything. While we were talking, Justin called back 4 more times. These are the messages he left: (I obviously didn't answer)

"I really want to talk to you, why aren't you picking up?"

"Answer the phone next time I call, I have something really really important to tell you, and I can't say it tomorrow. I have to tell you now while I have the courage. Answer the phone."

"I really need to talk to you. Are you with him?"

"Why are you choosing him over me? I don't understand. I thought you said you were really into me."

(all the calls were made with the voice changer on)

"Him" was my husband, I guess. In order to get off the phone the time I talked to him, I had said something about being home now, and that my DH was waiting for me. I said it in the hopes of deterring him from calling again. In reality, my husband had been in bed for hours and had no idea what was going on. I was Freaked. Out. I was shaking and felt like vomiting. I thought this man was completely insane. I went to bed that night, but didn't really sleep. I was scared, and completely baffled. I also didn't know whether to blow this guys world apart by alerting all his (our mutual) friends that he seemed to be completely mentally unstable.

The next morning, my brother called me. He said he thought he knew who had left me the scary messages. I asked who, and he said "Jennifer". Apparently Justin called him and said he had received some weird calls that night, too. I was very upset, thinking that Justin was obviously not going to take responsibility, and I was not about to let Jennifer take the blame for this. I decided to call Krissi, thinking if I could confirm that Justin called her for my number, it would prove he called me.

When I got Krissi on the phone, she immediately apologized for "the joke she and Jennifer played on me last night". So that was it. It was my own friend Jennifer, and not Justin, who had done that to me. Worse yet, it was almost noon and Jennifer had made no effort to let me know that Justin was not, indeed, a psychotic stalker/killer/maniac. I was furious. I am furious.

I was so convinced that it had been Justin, that I had gone as far as looking at some photos I have of him (the next morning), and convinced myself he even looked crazy! I had genuinely believed that my safety was in question, and was already planning on making sure nobody was going to give out my address. I wish you all could *hear* the messages. They were really just like something out of a movie. The creepiest thing I have ever heard.

That day, I avoided a call from Jennifer. She left me a voice mail and made no mention of the night before, or what she had done. She did tell me to call her, because she needed to talk to me. I was too upset to call her. I had already let Krissi (who I don't know that well) know how upset I had been. I made it very clear. Later in the day I had dinner plans with my DD and another mother and a friend of DD's. As I was walking out the door, Jennifer (with her DH and kids in the car) drove up to my house. She was all smiles and was "dropping by to give me a love note", she said. The note said nothing important, just that they were in the area and wanted to leave me something to say hi. I was so caught off guard by seeing her, that I didn't say anything about what I knew. In fact, I'm not sure I said *anything*. It all happened so quickly. She handed me the note, and left. I think I just smiled and said "bye". I really do suck at being visibly angry at people. What a faker I was. *sigh*

Anyways, a few minutes later, I got a call from her, which I ignored. Her voice mail was her saying that Krissi just let her know that I knew, and now she understood why I had ignored her calls that day. She said she was "so sorry, never meant to scare me, didn't think I'd be that scared, blah, blah, blah".

She called again, saying she would leave me alone after the last message, but this time she was crying, telling me I had been such a good friend to her, and again, she hadn't known I would freak out. She did sound genuinely horrified by what she'd done.

During the day (before Jennifer's calls) I called Justin and let him know what she had done. I wanted to know if she had impersonated *me* to him. THAT would have pissed me off even more. Apparently, she didn't. He laughed it off, maybe because he's a guy? He wasn't as scared by any of it. Of course, she had told him she was a female...so maybe he didn't feel as threatened. I don't know.

I probably should have made this a three part story, sorry it's so long. I wish there was some way to convey how upset I was by the whole thing. Thinking this guy (Justin) was insane (did I mention that my brother wants to get a place with him?) and thinking I was in danger...knowing she didn't clear it all up right away, it was all so much to take in. I never should have had to go to bed thinking the things I thought.

I sent Jennifer an email, saying that I needed some time before talking to her about this. I let her know how upset I was (am).

So, what do you think? I think I need to get over it, and forgive her. I have a feeling her husband thinks it's all funny (though that is just a guess). I know she called many people that night (including her DH) and nobody else reacted as badly as I did. Though I do believe I was the only female she called.

The worst part was thinking it was Justin. I would rather have thought it was an anonymous caller, just pulling a prank. Having it be someone I knew, and knowing he would say the menacing things, followed by his "confession" that he liked me, made it all feel more dangerous to me.

May have been one of the scariest nights of my life.

p.s. the title "which is worse?" was referring to thinking it was an anonymous caller, or thinking it was someone I knew.

21 comments:

thndrkttn said...

That was one of the scariest, freakiest stories I have ever heard (and you told it really well!!). I am furious on your behalf. Tab, you do NOT need people like Jennifer in your life. Anyone who would make a friend think they are in danger, especially that kind of danger for a whole night and then laugh it off? Nuh-uh. No way. What if you had gone to the police? What if they traced her phone? It could have been a whole lot worse for your 'friend' Jennifer. I would take some time as you are and think it over but I would be hard pressed to forgive something like this.

Glowie said...

oh man. I would be absolutely furious with Jennifer. Wait a minute. Are your friends in high school?

Glowie said...

and... yay! for the title. :)

Bravie said...

Personally knowing you, that is NOT a joke that I would play on you. If someone played that joke on me, I wold probably alugh it off or something. But because I know you, that is not something that was at all funny. Tell Jennifer that if I ever meet her, I'm gonna kick her ass for scaring my friend. Hrmph.

Jen said...

That is insane. She went way over the line. One scary call, maybe two, and then a call that night explaining that it was her and she was just joking, I could forgive. Multiple threatening messages and then not coming clean until she *knew* she was busted? Absolutely unacceptable. She doesn't sound like any "friend" I'd want to have. I'm just stunned. Crazy. Ugh.

:o <--- my face, reading this story

*hugs*

Aislinn Sirk said...

I agree, that went way past being a prank and into some seriously power tripping stalking.

It's cruel. And anyone who thinks you shouldn't have been upset by multiple harrassing phone calls is also cruel.

As Bravie said, some people can laugh it off. Others can't, but just because some people can laugh it off doesn't mean you should have to. Your feelings count. They are real.

Hell, I might think that's a bit funny, but I would NEVER do that to you (I know that much from what you've written).

thndrkttn said...

I think Carey and Bob touch on a really important point. We know you from the internet and would never DREAM of doing something like that to you. These people know you in real life. What on earth were they thinking???

kim (weltek) said...

What an effing mean spirited nut. That's not a very funny prank. Know what I think? I think she was trying to cause trouble. Maybe she thought you liked Justin and was trying to find some blackmail material.

It's all very bizarre. I think it's best to tell Jennifer that while you accept her apology, her behavior creeped you out and broke the trust in your friendship, thus it can never be the same.

I'm so angry, and I don't even know her!

jenbeauty said...

None of my friends would carry it that far. As soon as the prank was over they should have called back and said "GOTCHA". Letting things go into the next day and leave you scared and worried, not too mention the strain it could have put on the marriage, was uncalled for.

HUGS....hope things work out for the best.

Schnookie said...

I feel ill just reading about this. *HUGS* Agree with what everyone has already written. That went WAY OVER THE LINE. And, like Glowie said, are your friends in effin high school? And, like Carey, if I ever meet your friends, I'm going to kick their arses.

mtw said...

*whew*
*glad it wasn't me*

I don't know what else to say except to reiterate that she is very presumptuous to think she knows you well enough to "know" it wouldn't absolutely terrify you, when all of us know your reaction would be pretty much exactly the opposite.

I certainly hope that *SHE* was drunk, and didn't do this with a clear head!

~Nutz said...

*gets in line to kick Jennifer's @$$*

mm said...

*sniffs*

Thanks guys. Seeing your reactions has really made me feel better. A), I know I'm not being too sensitive now, and B) I love feeling that you are defensive *for* me, and want to kick her ass! *grin*

I still haven't talked to her. It's hard because we met about 15 years ago, but we've only been reintroduced about a year and a half ago, and I was happy to be getting to know new people. She is 34 years old. She wasn't drunk that night, but I do believe she has some issues.

I've almost blogged about her SO many times, because there is so much to tell, but this time really took the cake.

Thanks for reading the long story, and being upset, on my behalf.

*smooches all*

p.s. Kim, I think you are right, she really is the type who tries to trick people into admitting things. Why she thought that about Justin, I don't know.

momma said...

i totally agree with everyone. Especially Bob.

Now, I'm going to ask you a ocuple of questions. You don't have to answer me, just think about it, okay? What if you had woken your DH up in the middle of the night? What would his reaction have been? What was his reaction when you told him the next day/night? He, above anyone else, should know you best. His reaction will give you clues to how fvcked up this whole situation is.

Personally, I'd walk away from the "friendship." Anyone who thinks this type of behavior is funny or acceptable doesn't need to be in my life. I've got enough stress without high school or junior high bullshit. I don't need their stupid games to add to it all.

*hugs* I can't even imagine.

Jen said...

I wanted to come back and give you more *hugs*

And to say it's my turn for email to be messed up. *sigh*
I'll try and write you from work tomorrow.
Love you! *besa*

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Yikes! I don't think a good friend would do that sort of thing.. I know that MINE wouldn't! I agree with Momma, and walk away from that chick.. (after you kick her backside anyway..)

Aislinn Sirk said...

Pure speculation and rambling here from Bob. You have mentioned that you are seeing a counselor and you have expressed some annoyance with your lack of assertiveness and independence and that your counselor was helping you with that.

I am wondering if that is working and that is what Jennifer was reacting to. She may see you as someone she can control or bully. Now that you are stepping out of that mold, it may annoy/upset her. Therefore, her controlling behavour escalates. People tend not to like change.

To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if your parents (and possibly husband) react in somewhat extra controlling fashion as well.

I’m not saying I expect your parents to do stupid phone calls or anything like that, but maybe extra guilt trips and imply that you “used to love them better”.

Puffy said...

I would never forgive her. I totally agree with Tkit's and Nookie's posts. Everyone has made good points here. You sound a lot calmer than I would have been.

Emily RugBurn said...

Ahh! I'm late in seeing this! And holy crap!

Because of the way your blog appears to me, it's difficult (or impossible) to read your previous posts, but I just read this one and I CANNOT believe it!

Based on the fact that you've insinuated you've had problems with this person in the past, I would just cut her out. I recently cut a "friend" out of my life and it was totally liberating (and WAY easier than I thought it would be). I can't even describe the feeling of not having to know or lose sleep over this person any longer.

And I agree with what most people said. Especially Weltek and Bob. I think she did this on purpose (to get something out of you, including a rise) for the reasons Bob stated. Definitely NOT a person you want in your life.

In all seriousness, you should take some time to evaluate your relationship with this person. I'm sure you'll find they're not worth the trouble. And you'll be better for it.

And I am SO sorry this happened to you. If it were me, I think I'd be just as upset. :: hugs ::

Swami said...

Like Emily, I am very late. This goes beyond a prank and into the wierd, twisty mind-games zone.

It *might* have been a prank if she had revealed her identity during the first or second call, so the two of you could have "laughed" over it together. Leaving you hanging and afraid was just plain mean and extremely manipulative. And dropping by to see you when she supposedly didn't know you knew it was her? That's really psycho to me too.

You deserve better friends.

Puffy said...

Three cheers for Swami's advice!