Today my brother and I took the kids to see Charlotte's Web.
Ok, so as I sat in the theater, I was all excited because I wanted to *see* Fern and Wilbur. Then I started remembering the other characters, too, like Templeton and Gussy. I couldn't wait to see them all, and hear their voices. Completely lost in my selective memory, was the fact that one of the main characters was a spider. Yes, I am a complete idiot. Because I have Tivo, I hadn't even seen one preview, so I hadn't been reminded of the fact. My brother is the one who told me it was out, and invited us to go.
So, as I'm sitting there, it quickly dawned on me that I had mentally skipped over that particular detail. I think I always pictured the cover of the book, when picturing the words "Charlotte's Web" and kinda transferred the name to Fern, without realizing it. Anyways, it was a major *stupid moment* for me. As soon as Charlotte made her appearance, I knew I would miss half the movie. And I did. Every scene with her in it I had to look away. I watched the people in the theater, and was surprised that not many other people were disturbed by her. Actually, nobody else seemed bothered.
I must say, she looked horrible. Lots of hairs and realistic detail. Once or twice, in scenes where she wasn't moving, I watched her. I thought maybe her face would eventually seem warm, or easy to look at. Nope. Hideous. I was jumpy and on edge throughout the movie, and for a long time afterward.
As for the movie in general, it was very true to the original, and I thought it was done very well. It's been so long since I read it or watched the animated version, that I am not sure whether this movie favored one or the other, or even if the original was true to the book. At any rate, it was how I would have pictured it, minus the spider. *shudder* The kids should like it, and the parents too, providing spiders don't make you uneasy (or downright nauseous).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, in other spider news, I live in Northern California, where as far as I knew, no tarantulas are supposed to live. Tonight I was told by DD that my cousin, who lives about 45 minutes away, has discovered that they DO live here. I immediately called her and she confirmed it. She saw something HUGE while driving along, and pulled over to see if it was really a spider. It was the largest tarantula she had ever seen, she said (and she's not the type that exaggerates). She's a tomboy who is not afraid of those kind of things. She said they stood over it while it crossed the road, and later she asked some locals (she lives in a tiny community on a lake) and they said they knew they were around, though they were not often seen (as if that makes it ok).
So, where can I go where there are no spiders? Alaska? Do they like cold climates?
Perhaps tomorrow I will share my fear that there are alligators on the nature trail I walk on. (and yes, I am very serious)
Sunday, December 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
So the fact that Julia Roberts was the spider voice didn't do anything for you ??
We found tarantulas while camping a couple of months ago! It was north of here an hour or so, so I'm glad they are not close. So, cross Arizona off your spider-free list of places to live!
*smooch*
I remember in middle school we went to the math and science center and got to hold a tarantula. Perhaps that's why I'm not afraid of them.
Yesterday dh asked me to go outside to kill one that was skeering him.
I love Charlotte's Web, and I wondered if I would like a real person version. I may have to go. I bought Charlotte's Web 1 and 2 for Conner. I don't think we've watched 1 because of her dying. It's too sad. So we watch 2 all the time, which he absolutely loves. We call it Happy Charlotte's Web.
And sadly it is mating season for the tarantulas. I read an interesting article about them in SFGate awhile ago.
mom, funny thing is, I didn't know it was Julia Roberts until near the very end. I knew I recognized it, but couldn't place it. I still don't think that would have helped, though.
Boo, the death scene wasn't too sad. Of course, I was happy she wasn't going to be on the screen anymore, so maybe that was a biased POV.
Thanks Carey. I love learning new little tidbits like that every day. /sarcasm
Skeerydeadguy, Yes, I would choose Bigfoot over a spider (any kind) any day. I would also choose a bear, a tiger, and almost any dangerous mammal. But FTR, there is no reason to assume that Bigfoot is dangerous (didn't mean to imply that). From all accounts, Bigfoot is mostly misunderstood and quite harmless. :)
Your cinderblock story is exactly the kind of situation that I always fear. I typically don't pick up anything off the ground (or floor, depending which room) without shaking it or kicking it first. I tap the newspaper on it's side, every morning before I bring it in, too.
MM <--cautious, not paranoid
I thought she had nice eyes, friendly even. And soft brown spider furfuzz on her body. Almost cuddly.
You should be over your spider fear now since you managed to not die while a 20 foot tall spider scuttled around in front of you.
My oldest daughter lived for a few years in AZ and she used to stop her car to help tarantulas across the road. (I guess many die on the road.) She often picked up wild spiders to move them off the road and was never bitten. Claimed she could tell from their behaviour if they were feeling aggitated.
You are too cute :-)
I've never read the story Charlotte's Web. Even though she's a spider, I'd probably be bawling my eyes out when she dies. I always cry at those kinds of movies.
*shudders from all the spider talk*
Scared of computer generated spiders? Alligators?
No comment
(you have a PM, btw)
Post a Comment