Monday, September 18, 2006

In the closet

I'm curious. I want to know about your closets. I just got done (well, not quite done, but almost) with helping my mom go through a bunch of her clothes. She is out of control. Do you know what dickies are? Well, she had probably a hundred of them! There was NO limit on what she would buy, if she liked it, or thought it would look good. It didn't help that she had a couple different sizes in the wardrobe, that she had to save "just in case" she went either up or down. It was insane.

So, can you share?....

1. Do you have a walk-in closet?
2. Do you keep a dresser in the closet, or just hanging clothes?
3. How many pairs of jeans do you own?
4. How many pairs of shoes?
5. Do you keep winter and summer clothes all together, or separated?
6. Do you share clothes with you SO?
7. Would you ever buy secondhand clothes?
8. Do you keep more than one size, or get rid of clothes as needed?

10 comments:

Bravie said...

1. Michelle has the walk-in closet. I get the other bedroom closet.
2. I have a dresser but I don't keep it in the closet. I have a shoe rack in there though.
3. I have about 15 pair of jeans. But currently only 5 that are wearable in public, fit me.
4. Couldn't even guess how many shoes. 75 maybe?
5. I keep everything together.
6. We do share shirts and sweatshirts sometimes.
7. I won't buy second hand clothes but Michelle would if she saw something she liked.
8. I keep some of the clothes that are smaller because I always intend to lose weight. *rolls eyes* But I always get rid of my bigger clothes when the Parca people come around.

kim (weltek) said...

1. No, it's a big open closet in our master bath.
2. We just have hanging areas & a few shelves. I need more shelves.
3. Jeans: 2 good ones, 1 pair that fits in an ugly way, and three scrapy ones for working around the house.
4. Shoes: About 14 pair total, but I really only have 4 summer pairs that I wear and 5 winter pairs. The others are athletic shoes or dress shoes for specific outfits.
5. I cycle most seasonal clothes out of the closet & into Rubbermaid totes when the weather changes.
6. We share our Wisconsin sweatshirts.
7. I have bought second hand clothes. Some great finds over the years.
8. I purge ill fitting clothes every few years. Most of my stuff is for the size I am now.

HistoryDetective said...

1. I do not have a walk-in closet. I do not have a closet at all since my apartment is in an old building. Instead, I have a wardrobe.

2. I do not have a dresser in my closet, but I do have a shoe rack in there.

3. I guess I don't own that many jeans, especially considering the various sizes I have worn in the last year. I think I have about seven pairs of jeans.

4. I'm not much of a shoe whore either. I only have about a dozen pairs.

5. My shirts are organized first by type (sporty and cocktail short sleeves, short sleeve one color T-shirts, short sleeve T-shirts with logos, short sleeves with collars and buttons, short sleeves with collars but no buttons, long sleeves one color, long sleeves with logos, and dress shirts). Within those categories, they are arranged in spectrum order. The sweaters, shorts, and pants in the drawers are organized similarly. Just call me Monica!

6. If I had a significant other, I would share clothes with him.

7. I had a dfate last week that was structured around going to the vintage store to buy secondhand clothes.

8. I rarely get rid of clothes. I end up storing them forever, even if they don't fit any more, because I might fit into them again some day.

mtw said...

I have a large walk in closet with lots of built in shelves and clothing rods. Everything hangs up except for sweaters and stuff like that.

I have 3 pairs of jeans and probably five or six pairs of shoes I wear regularly. Winter and summer are all together but kept semi-separate on the rod. We donot share clothes.

I don't buy secondhand clothes, but would wear them if someone else bought them for me. My "fat" pants are at one end of the closet. I hope I don't have to get them out again, though I have been tempted recently. Time to diet.

Oh, I had something else in my closet recently that I could write about, but maybe I'll just blog about it later.

Schnookie said...

1. Yes, we have a great walk-in closet in our master bedroom. It has shelves on top and a two-level shelf for DH so he can hang his shirts on the top one and pants on the bottom one. Of course, he has the smallest portion of the closet.

2. Yes, I do have my dresser in the closet which is so handy.

3. Hmmmm I think I own 2 pair of blue jeans that currently fit me. I have a couple of other pairs of jeans that don't quite fit me.

4. I don't really know how many shoes I have. I keep them in the closet in the foyer. I'd say I probably have 15 pair.

5. I do keep my winter and summer clothes together but winter coats go in an upstairs closet.

6. Nope. I can't think of any piece of clothing that DH & I could share.

7. No. I grew up wearing 2nd hand clothes. I really doubt I'd ever do it again. Unless you count clothes my mom gives me. Sometimes she wears a top once then gives it to me.

8. Yes, I have clothes in two different sizes. I try to stick with the smaller size.

Immunegirl said...

1. No walk-in closet. That must be why I also store clothes on my desk and desk chair.
2. I have a dresser but I don't keep it in the closet.
3. Ummmm.....a lot. 5-6 that currently fit me plus more that don't.
4.~50
5. Mostly all together although the sweaters get their own drawers.
6. N/A
7. Probably not unless it was really nice vintage.
8. I keep more than one size. I fluctuate a lot over the course of the year and I have some clothes that I love too much to part with, especially since they are not THAT much too small.

Jen said...

Heheh. You said dickies. Heheh.

1. Not walk-in, but it's a pretty good size.

2. No dresser in the closet. It wouldn't fit. On the floor I keep my shoes, my clothes hamper, and a storage box of old clothes.

3. Jeans: Probably 10, but I only have 2 that I wear/fit me.

4. Shoes: Not many. It's hard for me to find comfie shoes. Maybe 15? But again, only 5 or so that I normally wear.

5. All together. Though the winter stuff just naturally gets pushed to the back during summer and vice versa.

6. N/A

7. Maybe. Probably not. The thought of wearing clothes that other people wore skeeves me out. I always have to wash my clothes after I buy them in the store because I don't like the thought of someone else having tried it on in the store. Ick.

8. I keep different sizes. I probably have 4 sizes of clothes in my closet right now. And I have a bag of clothes that still have the tags on them because they were too small to wear and I just never returned them. Heh.

I really, really need to clean out my closet. Will you come help me? :)

Aislinn Sirk said...

I wear a labcoat day, night and weekends.

Puffy said...

I have on good authority that Bob doesn't wear anything under her labcoat either ifyouknowwhatimean.

Swami said...

1. It is a semi-walk in, L-shaped closet. Tom has a double stack of rods so he can hang clothes high and low. I have two regular-sized rods and we share the shelf space above. We keep our dirty clothes baskets on the floor of the closet.

2.No dresser at all. We have a large antique wardrobe that I love, with multiple drawers and pull-out shelves for clothing, as well as a small hanging section on each side (I am right, Tom is left.)

3. Three pair of blue jeans I will wear, one pair of black jeans that I love!

4. Last summer I finally went through my shoes and trashed or Goodwilled a whole boatload of shoes! I kept just one pair of stilettos from the 80s - bright red, with brass heels. These shoes have sentimental value! Right now I have maybe 5 pairs of shoes and two pairs of sandals I wear regularly.

5. I don't seperate them, altho sweatshirts tend to be folded together.

6. Only if we're out and I get cold and he gives me his jacket/sweatshrit/whatever.

7. Tom will. I have bought clothes for the kids at garage sales once in a while, back in the day when they outgrew stuff every 2 months. For myself? Never. I just never see anything that I want to buy.

8. I have some smaller sized clothes I keep jic. Also, my favorite totally hot red strapless dress that I met Tom in (goes with the red shoes.) I don't think I will ever be that size again unless I get my stomach stapled AND my jaw wired shut. I was so skinny then, lol.