Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hardest thing

Have you ever had to do something really hard? Something you were not even sure you could do? Have you had to make a decision, and then stick to it, no matter what? Was there a payoff? Did you succeed? Fail?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've done something hard. And there are times I look back and wonder about it. But I'm glad I did it, and I have no regrets.

Swami said...

The hardest thing I ever had to do was raise my son with autism for 20+ years. Lots of downs and just a few ups. I'm still not sure how I survived. I know a few times I got so stressed that I had to divide my day into 10-minute increments and check the clock regularly. Because while I knew I couldn't possibly do what I had too forever I could certainly do it for 10 more minutes.

I probably had a nervous breakdown when he was about 12. I can see it in retrospect, but at the time there was just no time for such nonsense.

I have no idea how to define success in that situation. The payoff is - he may be a young adult with moderately severe autism who will need 24/7 supervision all his life, but he is happy, self-confident young adult with moderately severe autism who will need 24/7 supervision all his life.

Seana said...

Wow, Swami.

I have nothing to compare to that.

I can't think of a decision and a moment that were hard. Hard things I have endured include
- my daughter's refusal to eat for 2 years
- my husband's heart attack
- graduating university

When I look back, I wonder how we/I made it through that stuff.

Zombs said...

I like your idea of 10 minute increments Swami. I would love to hear more about your son one day if you ever want to write about it.

I find a lot of stuff "hard". For one time only tasks- Like giving your resignation in, going to a funeral, visiting someone in the hospital, starting a new job etc. Things you have to do.

I quit a job once when I was 26. A job I had been at for 4 years. I had no other job. I just knew I could not go on there. I knew I would never find another job if I did not do something drastic. So I spontaneously quit. Spent one night thinking about went in the next day and gave 2 weeks. Took me about 1 1/2 months to find a new job. Better pay, more responsiblity, etc. Best thing I have ever done. I even ended up meeting my husband there.

Bravie said...

Yep. I'm in that situation right now. I've been in this position before and was unable to stick to it. I've had a little assistance in it this time so we'll see if it sticks.

Bravie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aislinn Sirk said...

Swami totally makes anything that I have done look like nothing.

When I was 19, I wanted to travel to Central America and backpack for 3 months. I wanted Mr Bob to come, but even if he didn't I still planned to go on my own. That would have been hard and a little scary. However, Mr Bob decided to come, so it was much easier.

I think my life has been quite easy. Some things have been a bit of work, but I always felt I would be able to do it.

Schnookie said...

*HUGS* for Swami.

The only hard thing I have had to endure is seeing my mom experience breast cancer. If/when something happens to her or my DH, that'll be the hardest times for me.

I've had it very easy in life.

thndrkttn said...

One of you posted your hard thing without saying exactly what your hard thing was. Based on your description, I am about 98% sure that it's the same hard decision as mine.

There was another, but only a select few in my life know about that. That was HARD.

kim (weltek) said...

Yes. Reaching the point of no turning back was terrifying. I regret it. Terribly.

Glowie said...

I made a very difficult decision a few years back. It's something I've had no choice but to stick to. I most likely would have stumbled had it not been for the current circumstances. I'm not entirely sure I've succeeded but I did get a wonderful payoff.

Sonya said...

Yes I have and I had no regrets. I think everything is a learning lesson.

Immunegirl said...

The first thing I thought of when I read your post (as far as doing something really hard that I'm not sure I could do) was going to grad school. I feel like I am not sure I can do it almost daily, though sometimes much more than others. (You should hear the plans I come up with for what to do with my life instead. I have such interesting plans.) I'm pretty sure there will be a payoff, although I feel like there are going to be some pretty significant losses as well (not that I can do it all over again to know, but I just feel like I missed out on things.) I'm in the process of succeeding, but who knows.

My answer feel so prosaic after reading everyone else's.

Surveysez said...

Every day starts with the hard decision on whether to get out of bed. But the decisions get made, and I kinda think I'm a better and stronger person for every decision I make. Are they all right? No, but every wrong one helps me with the next decision. The decisions don't get easier, I just hope I get wiser in making them.

Jen said...

I'm not sure how to answer this. My "hardest thing" situation didn't leave me with a decision or choice, it was just something I had to deal with. I had to deal with realizing that my father had committed suicide when I was the only other one home. I didn't really know what to do, and I handled it all wrong which is something that I regret to this day. *shrug* But I was in shock, I guess, and I was young-ish (17) so I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

Bravie said...

*hugs* Jen.

Swami said...

*hugs Jen*

I'm so sorry. That seems an unimaginably hard thing for a teenager to go through.

Jen said...

Thanks guys. *hugs back*

jenbeauty said...

sticking with this job....it was so nice to be at home....some days are hard but there will be a payoff in the end!!

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

I've had several hard decisions that I had to live with over the years. In most cases I feel like I made the right decision and even when I didn't, once the decision was made, it was easier because I knew that I'd have to live with it no matter what. Sometimes you just have to make the decision and resign yourself to live with the outcome and things will work out.

*smooch*

mtw said...

I've had to do a few things that were really hard and required a lot of resolve. Getting my college degree was one. I had many distractions during school and faced many personal challenges. It was very difficult, but definitely had a payoff.

When I was 21, I had to break up with a girlfriend who wasn't ready to break up with me. We had been living together, and doing that was really hard, although completely necessary, as we definitely did not belong together.

There are a few very hard things I need to deal with now. I am dreading them, but suspect there will be a payoff in the end.

MM, if you're asking because you're facing something very hard, I know you can do it. You will succeed, and you'll be rewarded for your efforts.

~Nutz said...

Just stopped by to say Hi! I can't think of anything right now.

Just go ahead and rip the band-aid off!