Tuesday, May 30, 2006

::Personal Post Alert::

Ok, so I am going to tell you what I did today. Maybe Glowie gave me courage, I don't know. Anyways, today I went to see a psychiatrist. He was an older Irish guy, totally adorable. White hair and jolly cheeks. The kind of guy you expect to find in a Pub somewhere in Ireland. That is beside the point. We talked about a couple things, starting with the "reason" I was there. I had a panic attack in Wal-Mart a while ago. I know what you're thinking; "you were in Wal-Mart, of course you had a panic attack!". *grin*

We started on that, but then we moved onto some other, more personal problems I've been having, and he decided right away that I needed to be referred to a female psychiatrist. I decided to share this because for one, for the first time in a long time, I am feeling hopeful, like maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel I've been stuck in. Also, the fact that he saw me as needing additional help was hugely relieving to me. It's like my anxiety was finally validated in some way. He told me I am too hard on myself and I need to let go of some things (feelings I have).

Oh, this is funny. I asked him if there was anything that could help me be more 'in the mood' with my DH (because c'mon, even smutresses can be frigid, right?) He kinda shifted in his seat and then asked me, "do you like to drink?" I literally LOL'ed ! I asked if he was telling me to drink, as a remedy and he laughed and said "hey, maybe a little wine with dinner would help". Geez. Anyways, hope this topic doesn't make anyone too uncomfortable. I wanted to get it out there, and as things progress I might even be able to expand on my progress.

I am also signed up to take a "relaxation class" in July. My next actual appointment is at the end of June. I'm looking forward to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

edit to add~ Does anyone know if the Dove "subtle self-tanner" lotion works? It says it gradually builds a beautiful summer glow.

29 comments:

~Nutz said...

*head tilt*

Why would this topic make anybody feel uncomfortable? Do you think we are all going to call you crazylocobananas?

If you need someone to talk to, there is no shame in getting help at all.

Here, have some more wine! *grin*

Bravie said...

Good for you for seeking outside assistance. *smooch*

Schnookie said...

Agree with Nutzy. I'm not sure why you would think this topic would make anyone uncomfortable.

Bravo to you MM for seeking help. I've often wanted to do the same. Sure, friends/family are great to talk to but sometimes you just need a professional, someone outside your world, to listen and perhaps guide you. Good luck with things. I'm so happy to hear that you are starting to see that there is hope. I am also truly sorry that you are going through some torment but glad you are seeking help.

LOL at him asking if you drank.

What exactly is a relaxation class? Sounds interesting.

Can't help you with the self-tanner stuff. I'm too afraid to use them. I tried once and turned orange. Never again.

*BIG HUGS*

Glowie said...

I'm with Nookie and Nutzy. I'm not in the least uncomfortable around crazy people. *grin*

Seriously though. I congratulate you for seeing somebody. It takes courage. *hug*

Jergen's has a tanning lotion called "Natural Glow" that works. I'm guessing the Dove works too. Just was your hands and be careful washing them.

*smooch*

Glowie said...

*wash your hands

Syren said...

I know this took a lot for you to post this. It's hard to say that you need help, but the feeling of being back to who you are is incredible.

Smooches to you.

kim (weltek) said...

First, no idea on the Dove tanner thing.

Second, *hugs*! Chris started having anxiety attacks last year & went to counseling for awhile. He was in such a good mood after his sessions. I think many years of stress personally and from his job finally took it's toll on him.

So keep going, and chin up!

Lasann said...

Not at all an uncomfortable topic. I sought help twice, both over my oldest son.

What counseling did for me was to have an outlet for me to voice my feelings. He was mainly a listener but would justfy some of my feelings - like it was true that I had too much stress, my x was an asshat, that any human would be stressed with my life.

He helped me get rid of behaviors that were not healthy - like arguing with a man who wasn't ever going to see my points (most of my points were valid - not all).

Keep at it and don't feel bad that you are seeking help. The right therapist can make all the difference!

Jen said...

*hugs* MM. I agree with everyone- this topic does not make us uncomfortable and you should always feel like you can share with us whatever you want. We lvoe you no matter what! (Well, at least I do. I can't speak for these other weirdos. *grin*)

Good for you for seeking help. It's a hard thing to do, and I hope that talking to someone will help you become happier. *smooch*

Oh, and I have used the Jergen's lotion that Glow mentioned and yes, it does work. Just be careful around your elbows, mine got pretty dark.

Swami said...

Good for you, MM. I have never really understood why some people think it is totally okay to see six specialists for a problem ingrown toenail that won't heal itself, but somehow weird to see a specialist for an emotional or personal problem that won't heal itself. It's all just taking good care of yourself, no?

And stay out of Wal-Mart. Jeesh.

mtw said...

MM, one of the things I love about you (and I'll bet others agree) is your willingness to put yourself out there on your blog. And you do it in a way that is gentle, never crude or uncomfortable, and you balance it with humor to put us at ease and to show you're alright, despite the feelings inside.

I think the way you write is warm and caring. It invites the rest of us to open up too. This is quite a talent. I am grateful to have gotten to know the real MM through your writing.

Schnookie said...

Very well said MTW and so so true.

Nookie <---- adoring MM since forever

Bravie said...

I've been using the Jergen's that Glowie mentioned. It does NOT prevent sunburn.

Debcapsfan said...

Silly Carey.
Being scared of Walmart makes you very sane.
It's never a bad thing to ask for help when you need it, I have in the past.

Jen said...

Wow. What MTW wrote is exactly true, and very nicely stated. Just pretend that I said that, k? *grin*

*smooches MM and MTW*

Sonya said...

I'm glad you are talking out feelings. It should really help you grow as a person.

The neutrogena spary sunless tan does. At least I have had a great experience with it and you can get it at Wal Mart.

mm said...

Thanks everyone, for making me feel ok sharing this stuff here. You are all wonderful friends to have.

Oh, and thanks for what you wrote, Jen. It was really touching. *grin*

*smooches* to all of you!

mtw said...

Jen rocks! :-)

*smooches Jen*
*ignores MM*

mm said...

*ignores MTW ignoring me*

*double smooches Jen*

Emily RugBurn said...

How very brave of you to not only admit to yourself that you need to talk to someone, but to actually go and do it.

I could name you a handful (maybe even 2 handfuls) of people that could certainly use some outside guidance, and yet they'd never admit it or go in a million years.

Good luck to you, mm!

Zombs said...

Good luck to you MM and I don't think this will make us uncomfortable.

I hope you get some resolution.

*smooch* we are ALWAYS here. :)

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

You know that I will always be here with an open ear should you ever need one. *smooches*

Aislinn Sirk said...

GAH! MM is crazylocobananas!!!

*runs away from blog in fear from crazy person*

Puffy said...

Did you wear your new shoes to the psychiatrist's office?

mm said...

Thanks guys! LOL Puff, no I didn't wear the new shoes. I wore some high heeled boots I had and they made that obnoxious "clicking" sound all the way down the long aisle to his office.

*follows Bob*
*smooches everyone else*

Seana said...

Sheesh. Take a little break and MM goes all crazybananas.

I agree with everyone who agreed with Nutz and MTW.

Big *SMOOCHES* MM.

momma said...

*smooch*

It's always a good idea to ask for a bit of guidance or help when life isn't going the way you want it to or you just can't deal with the stress. Good for you for recognizing it AND more importantly, doing something about it. You definitely aren't alone. I've been there a few times, and it's just like any other doctor's appointment to take care of you.

*smooch*

momma said...

Now, tell the truth. Is all this anxiety because we expect you to be this amazing sexy temptress/smut queen?

mm said...

Thanks Seana & Momma. :)

LOL @ Momma! Yeah, I think that may be it. *snort*

*adjusts push-up bra and fixes make-up*