Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Do you have a phobia?


I know I've talked about mine on here before. Spiders are at the top of the list, followed by sharks, then claustrophobia, then agoraphobia. These are all semi-normal. My abnormal fears (phobias) are being attacked with a cheese grater or potato peeler. Also I have a deep fear of seeing a dead body in the water. I have a hard time looking over the edge of a ship or boat, for fear that I will see a gross body floating there, eyes open, staring at me. *shiver*

What are your normal/abnormal fears?

31 comments:

Bravie said...

Spider and germs are my two big ones.

HistoryDetective said...

Blood, snakes, needles, and bloody snakes with needles.

According to the personality tests administered in my high school psychology class, I used to have a fear of people. I think that I have overcome that one.

Also, thanks to an episode of "Simon & Simon," I have a fear of being handcuffed to the grate at the bottom of a pool. I always take notice of who is around me when I go swimming and I never get too close to the grate.

thndrkttn said...

Claustrophobia is numero uno, spiders, and then drowning in deep water at night. I really need to see someone about the claustrophobia thing. While it has gotten better in some respects, I am DREADING flying to Puerto Rico. Hell, I am worried about taking the train down to NYC this weekend.

Schnookie said...

Being attacked by a cheese grater or potatoe peeler? *giggle* Sorry, can't help but laugh at that. That is truly bizarre. Do you not keep those utensils in the house because someone might use them on you? Your dead body phobia is scary.

My biggest phobia would be fear of heights. I will cry if I have to walk over a bridge, if I even manage to walk across it. I might have to crawl across it. I don't even like driving over them.

I also am agoraphobic. If DH is out of town on a weekend, I'm likely to just hide in the house. If I do have to go out, it's a major mental process. I also get anxiety attacks at malls.

All things bugs. Now that it's getting warm here, my biggest fear are lizards. They will paralize me.

Not sure if I have any strange phobias. I do remember being very fearful swimming in a lake because I would always think a monster was in there.

I sometimes have a fear that some crazed maniac will come running out of the woods in my backyard with an axe in his hand. Don't know where that thought comes from but every so often it pops into my head.

Swami said...

I must have the sheet tucked in at the bottom of my bed. I tighten it every night. When I get up to pee in the night I always check my sheet before I get back into bed. Must be tight!

Tom, on the other hand, is one of those kick the sheets loose kind of guys. Thus we have been having the same conversation every night for more than 25 years:

Me: "Careful! Don't untuck my side!"

Tom: "Okay."

Every. night. for 25 years. Same convo. Sometimes I laugh and say sorry, but Tom understands I can't help myself so he just accepts my phobia. We got a king size bed so I could have the maximum amount of sheet on my side tucked in.

I also fear being trapped on a boat with malevolent strangers. I would never take a cruise! Well, maybe if I was drunk the whole time. I think this rooted in a midnight viewing of The Poseidon Adventure when I was young and immpressionable, plus once being stalked on a 2 day ferry boat ride by a guy convinced I wanted to have sex with him.

Spiders, snakes, needles, blood, drowning - those things don't scare me at all.

Surveysez said...

So Swami, are you going to catch the new Poseiden?

I am afraid of moonlight coming in my bedroom window while I sleep. Don't want to be moonstruck, don't you know.

Zombs said...

Do you know the Posideon Adventure freaked me out to when I first saw it. It really disturbed me.

I do have a fear of sharks but I would and have snorkeled with them. I have dreams about getting eaten by one.

I also have that fear of Bigfoot. I would freak out if I ever had an encounter.

I also think sometimes at night from when I was a little girl that something sinister is sliding across my bedroom floor at night. I think it has to do with seeing Poltergeist and that damn clown. But someitimes in the middle of the night when I can't sleep I think I hear something. I figure if the dogs are not spazzing out then I am fine.

mm said...

*sneezes on Carey*

Yikes, HD, the pool one *is* scary!

Tkit, I was on a train recently (for DKs field trip) and I freaked out while in a train that was in the museum. It was narrow and there were kids in front of me and behind me. *shudder*
Trains nowadays are much bigger, I think.

Nookie, I do keep them in the house. They are pushed way back in the utensil drawer, not easily accessible. The knives are on the counter though. *rolls eyes*

I'm guessing you couldn't do the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I added the picture. Also, there is nothing unusual about fearing lake monsters. They are very real. *grin*

LOL Swami! I'm the opposite. Sheets must be untucked.

Survey, really? That's a new one!

So I probably won't be seeing Poisedon or Poltergeist anytime soon.

Schnookie said...

OMH, my heart just lurched and I got dizzy looking at that picture. EEK!

DH and I were in Lake Placid a few years ago and we went to visit some gorge. We had to cross a rickety suspension bridge (like in the pic but on a smaller scale). I really did crawl on my hands and knees, after being paralized for the longest time. Once I got to the other side, DH wanted to take a picture of me. As I'm standing there, one of the pieces of wood below my feet shifted a bit. One of the scariest moments of my life.

mm said...

Sorry Nookie! I did this bridge when we were in Vancouver a few months ago (gosh, it's been 7 months, I guess) and it was horrible. I thought it was over when we got across, but then there was a series of smaller suspension bridges to do that take you up into the trees in the forest. If it weren't so scary, it would have been pretty!

Jen said...

I think your fear of cheese graters is my favorite thing about you. LMAO. *smooch*

I don't think I have any odd fears. Just normal ones... I don't like heights. *waves to Nookie* I am only scared if it is something I can fall off of though. I can go on roller coasters with no problem because I am not afraid of falling off, but I will not get on a ladder. Even like a small step ladder freaks me out because I'm afraid I'll fall. So maybe I should say I'm afraid of falling, not necessarily of heights. Heh

Zombs said...

Nookie have you ever gone to Rock City? They have a wooden one there!

Zombs said...

Oh yeah add really long beards. Ever see that Skittles commercial? My daughter screams when it comes on. I have to agree.

mtw said...

I'm afraid of drowning and/or being trapped underwater.

Perhaps the very scariest moment o fmy life was in Washington, hiking near Mt. McKinley (I think that's the one) and going across this very thin log bridge. The bridge was about a foot wide. There were 1/8th inch cables to hold onto on both sides of the bridge, and below us was a narrow, raging river. Certain death if you fell off this bridge.

The scary part wasn't *me* crossing, it was letting 6 yer old DD cross. That was the most scared I've ever been in my life. I don't know why we let her cross.

My irrational fear? I have an irrational fear of a 65 year old woman with too much makeup singing back my McDonalds order to me in an operatic voice through the drive-thru speaker, then giving me incorrect change with my order.

And forgetting catsup for the fries.
*shudder*

Schnookie said...

Ack! I can't believe you've been on that bridge MM. *looks up in awe at MM* You're my american idol *grin*

I am also very afraid of being buried alive. For this reason, I will be cremated. I also fear drowning. I do have a recurring dream of driving off a bridge into dark stormy waters. Scares the carp out of me.

Swami said...

Psst! Nookie. I can't follow your logic. I don't want to be cremated alive either!

kim (weltek) said...

Snakes scare me most. And I really hate "masses" of anything: Asian beetles, flies, gnats, etc. Oh, and it freaked me out one morning up north when I looked at the dew covered grass and saw hundreds of spider webs that I KNEW I'd been walking through the day before. Gives me the willies.

Most single bugs I can deal with. Silverfish freak.me.out, though. I bet a cockroach would too, but I don't think I've ever encountered one. Even centipedes gross me out. I think it's the "masses" thing again...they've got a lot of legs.

I actually don't have a lot of fear. I get kind of excited about the though of a plane crash, getting trapped in an elevator, etc. And I'd LOVE to find a dead body floating by my boat! I always look for good "hiding a dead body" spots when in the wilderness. :-)

I would HATE to drown, though, so I always run through scenarios in my head. Drowning is the only nightmare I've ever recalled & had a physical reaction from. I was about 7 when I had that nightmare.

I don't particularly like touching worms or fish, but that isn't really a phobia. I bet some of you have a phobia of swimming in lakes because the fish might be nibbling your toes. :-)

Schnookie said...

LOL Swami. Clarification ... I don't actually want to be cremated alive. Come to think of it, I don't know why I put the cremation thing in there LOL.

More clarification ... My fear isn't specifically being buried alive. My fear is suffocation. So, whether being buried alive, or drowning or being smothered, the thought of not being able to catch a breath terrifies me.

DH sometimes loses his breath in the middle of the night and wakes up trying to catch his breath but can't because he's panicking. It seems to happen more often lately so he definitely needs to see a doctor. I think it's sleep apnea. It freaks me out but I can imagine how freaky it is for him. *shudder*

Schnookie said...

LMAO at MTW's fear of the 65 yr old McDonald's lady *SNORT*

Swami said...

Nookie, get your hubby to a doctor! Sleep apnea like that is very bad thing.

Chrissy (woe) said...

Until recently, I thought I was fearless. Now I have a fear of big, hairy, jumping spiders. And I just plain don't like rodents.

My only real fear prior to that is ahlzhiemers (sp?) since I already have enough memory issues and it hurts that my mom doesn't know who I am. Not just that it is me, but how hard and frustrating it must be for her.

yvonne said...

I hate spiders and snakes. And deep water. I think I drowned in a previous life.

*shudder*

momma said...

I have an irrational fear of being alone at night. Which does not work out well with the job DH has. I have gotten better about it.

I am afraid of tornadoes and very high winds.

I HATE snakes. If you want to see me run screaming, show me a snake that is loose. I can deal, barely, with caged ones or zoo snakes.

I have a pretty real fear of dying before my kids are grown.

Other than that, I have no major fears or phobias.

Glowie said...

First of all, there is absolutely.no.way.in.hell that I would ever EVER even go near that bridge. I almost cried looking at it.

Spiders are probably right up there with that fear of heights/falling thing. No ladders for me either. I practically hold my breath when I'm stuck on a bridge. Pittsburgh has lots of bridges and lots of backed up traffic. So I have no choice but to force myself to deal with that one.

Those are the only two I can think of. I love snakes. I have a strange thing with needles (I kinda like them).

oh Chrissy brought up a good one, I think. Alzheimers. I'm definitely not comfortable with that. Not for fear that I'll get it. I'm too young to worry about that, I hope. And I think I'll die way before I'd have to worry about it. But other people like my parents and Shawn's parents getting it. I don't know what I'd do. I just stopped visiting my grandparents when they started forgetting things. Terrible of me, I realize, but I just couldn't help it. But that won't be an option if it's my parents or in-laws.

ummm. I can't come to your blog anymore. You make me say too many things.

Glowie said...

I made myself post that. I almost deleted it quite a few times.

*pats self on back*

mm said...

*proud of Glowie*

Coco said...

Birds and vomit are my logical phobias. I also have a touch of claustrophobia; spelunking will never be my thing.

My irrational fears are a lot like Nookie's. I worry that big things with teeth will come up from deep water or out of the dark and bite me.

Let's not talk about the madman with the axe, olay?

Coco said...

Er, okay?

arkie said...

Let's see... I'm afraid of snakes and chickens. I don't know that I'm afraid of crowds, but I do hate them. I cannot stand going to the mall at Christmas time or street festivals and stuff like that because of the crowds. I'm not afraid of heights, but I am afraid of falling. I'm afraid of the Ferris Wheel because of that. I'm also afraid of drowning, and will not ever go out in water that is deeper than my chest.

Seana said...

MM, I *heart* you so. much. Cheese graters? *hug* *snort*

I was sitting here thinking I didn't have any phobias to confess, but it turns out there are quite a few:

I'm afraid of not being able to breathe, which includes both drowning and suffocating. I'm a very strong swimmer as a result. If there were some way to assure that a pillow over my face wouldn't kill me, I'd be good at that, too. Thus, I was freaked out by the movie "The Abyss".

I am also a bit claustrophobic. I got stuck in a small, dark space once. Couldn't move my arms, couldn't move forward or back for a while. It actually affects me thinking about it. That was unpleasant. Thus, I was freaked out by the caves in TAR7.

I don't like deep water where I can't see the bottom. Deep pool? no problem. Out on a boat in the middle of Lake Ontario? problem.

I don't think I have any weird fears to confess.

I loved Simon and Simon.

*walks out humming S&S theme song*

mm said...

Jen, I know what you mean. I don't like to say I'm afraid of flying, it's the *crashing* that scares me.

MTW, watching kids do something potentially dangerous is way worse than being scared for youself. *smooch*

Weltek wins a prize for being the weirdest. *grin*

Chrissy, after reading your blog entry about the spider, I don't blame you one bit!

Augie, deep water seems to be a common fear, here. I wonder how it's different than fearing the dark. Is it the fear of creatures?

Momma, dying before our children is a horrifying thought, isn't it?
*drops snake* *smooch*

Glow, I understand about the not visiting your grandparents, thing.
Everyone copes with these things differently. *smooch*

Coco, birds are nasty, aren't they?
OK, sorry to any bird lovers, but they scare me, too.

Arkie, you'll never find me on the ferris wheel, either. My grandpa used to rock it when I was a kid and we went on it. No thanks!

Seana, know what's funny? I can't help but wonder if people who are claustrophobic are only so after being trapped in some way. Even as a child, maybe. Mine and my dad's didn't start until we were both adults, and we had no idea we'd feel that way. Weird.

*smooch*
*frisks everyone for cheese graters*