So lately I've been wondering about the way OT has affected my life, my outlook. It was about a year and a half ago when I found it. I started getting spoiler info about Survivor and somehow made my way to OT. I hadn't even posted yet and was already addicted to it. One of my first memories is wondering if the peeps there knew eachother in real life...all this talk about a bar, about what to eat for lunch, the inside jokes. Very daunting. I saw a thread about wedding favor ideas and felt confident enough to post. In retrospect, I realize that anyone whose first post is on OT looks a little suspicious. Like a previous (banned) poster or something. Anyhow, I liked the way it felt to have that tiny bit of interaction with people, strangers even. So I stayed.
I think of myself as humble, and in that regard I kept a very low profile, always recognizing my DAW count was low and that I was a newbie. One thing I did do right though, I read all the guidelines and most of the Help forum. (I'm still shocked when I see older peeps testing sigs and whatnot there) So I gradually began posting more, and felt even more able to post in the BB forums since there were many new peeps there and it was less intimidating.
I am not sure why, but I gathered enough courage to start a thread (one of only two, the second as a favor to a friend who needed good vibes and prayers) but anyway, I started the thread asking for a sig pic and also about the bar. That night, thanks to help from a few peeps, I found it. It was incredible! Nicest people ever in there. Woeisme, Glow, Cappy, Bennyboy, to name a few. It was so nice and welcoming. Later the bar enabled me to get to know others too, CSTL, Asrai, Puffy, RollDdice, Tara...god I could go on here. The very next day it felt better being there (on OT), like I was finally in on the joke. I was (and am) still a little timid, but I feel secure there.
Over the last year, my point of view has changed on many, many things. I've learned a lot about how the world thinks. At least, how people outside of my world think. There are so many topics that I was too indifferent about, before. There are people that I would have never had the chance to know. I've shared some before, but I'll say again that I grew up in a very conservative, sheltered environment. I didn't even work in the real world when I grew up. I had a short lived job as a teenager but I wasn't interested in getting to know people (except a couple of cute co-workers). I didn't care about politics, religion, sexuality, pudding. I have gradually begun to see some changes in my thinking, in my comfort levels, my actions, even. OT has given me a freedom I didn't have before. Like my eyes were finally opened.
The old me? Wouldn't feel comfortable flirting (with anyone, much less women!!). I wouldn't have been able to tell you what the difference between a Democrat and a Republican was. I wouldn't have know that some people are so overly religious that they turn people off. I wouldn't have known about all the wonderful peeps who cannot get married, because they are gay. I wouldn't have known that Bush is an asshat. I wouldn't have known that there is a place, a community, in which every race, sexuality, religion, and "class" are accepted, loved, appreciated and in some cases just tolerated.
I am grateful to OT. To the people who have become my friends. Even knowing that in my situation I may never be able to meet them, or talk to them. Yet they are here, and they care. And I care for them. Crap! Now I'm getting all mushy. I just want to say I love you. And thank you.
(I've also learned that my spelling and punctuation could use some help)
Wednesday, September 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




10 comments:
I will echo everything you said. I lived in a pretty small world before OT.
*smooch* Hi!
Breezy, Hi! Nice to see you here.
*smooches*
And you areeeeeeeeeeeeee?? hehe
I'm glad that I met both of you lovely ladies and so many more wonderful peeps over there.
*cstl*
MM! The mother of twins gave it away!
I think I might be getting addicted to this blogging thing!
Hey CSTL!
Zombie, you will love it! It's almost theraputic! Glad you joined us. *smooch*
CSTL? You better know me! Hmmph!
We lvoe you no matter what your spelling and grammar are like.
But watch those apostrophes anyway.
*smooch*
Ack! I come back, read what I've written and hate myself!
**Therapeutic**
I will forget about apostrophes, I never get 'em right.
Welcome Coco!!
I can't say that I grew up sheltered. I have always been in the big world. But I have learned a lot about people through OT. It truly is a unique place that allows so many different people from so many different places get to know each other and call each other friends. When I talk to my face to face friends, I now refer to people from OT as friends. And not just the people that I interact with daily.
I was telling a friend the other day about my friend who lost his brother in the huuricane. I don't interact with Seahorse but the word friend easily and without hesitation came out of my mouth.
We are part of a special community.
*smooch*
Hi, MM
I agree that OT has expanded my horizons. The eloquent people there have given me the words to express things I already felt and also helped me to see the error of my ways.
I really wanted my first post ever to be on OT and to say how much I had appreciated all the peeps, even though they never knew that I was there. Obviously, I chickened out. :-) But the sentiment is still there.
*smooch*
I know what you mean Carey, I feel as though I have a lot of friends here, too. And I am so grateful that even now, after being here so long I am still getting to know peeps better.
Welcome Seana! Don't I know you?
;-)
*smooches*
Post a Comment