When I was younger (teens, I believe) I started using Chapstick. I don't even remember why. I doubt it was chapped lips. Maybe I liked the slight glossiness? Anyways, after using that for a while, I started experimenting with Lipsmackers. They were good and tasty, but didn't have the longevity of Chapstick. Now, I think most people are aware that Chapstick is addictive. We've even discussed it in this blog, as I recall.
Anyways, after alternating between Chapstick and Lipsmackers, I eventually found NYC Lip Smoothie (strawberry flavored). It was heaven sent. Not only did it last, but it left a pinkish shine on my lips. And it tasted wonderful! I bought it constantly. Much to my dismay, after too short a time, it was discontinued. I have no idea why. I wrote to the company, and they offered no explanation. It was disheartening. I don't even remembered what I used after that. I started compulsively buying lip balms everywhere I went, in search for the replacement. I even bought the lip balm at Jamba Juice! I'm not sure how long ago it was, but I eventually came across the Vanilla Sugar lip balm from Bath & Body. At first, I wasn't in love with it. At least not when comparing it with the NYC lip gloss. But the sweet taste and smooth texture won me over, and I had a new favorite. I bought in bulk each time I went in. It smells like warm roasted marshmallows, to me. Quite a few months ago, I realized I was running low (maybe had 4 or 5 left) and I went to the store to get more. I'm sure you can guess what happened next. It wasn't there!
I was upset, obviously. I immediately came home and got online. To my delight, it was all over eBay! I bought a dozen that day, and I think I paid maybe $20 for it. Tonight, I decided that I should buy some more, since it can't last forever, and to my shock, there was hardly any left on eBay. Not only that, but they are selling approximately for $5 per lip balm! Nothing in bulk, either. There were groups of two or three, max.
Now, I am faced with a dilemma. Do I buy everything they have, at a ridiculous price, or do I start a search for something new, since I'll eventually need to anyways? I know how dramatic this all seems, I really do. But the addiction is very real, and I have no idea what to do next. Chapstick just doesn't really cut it for me, though in desperate times, it'll do. Lipsmackers are pretty much out.
Here's my question: What happens if I try to quit? Will my lips ever go back to not needing it? It's like hand lotion. I crave the feel of it, all the time. If I don't buy a replacement, will I turn to lipstick? And how practical is that? And lip glosses on wands with little sponges? Too sticky.
Does anyone have any advice? I'm open to suggestions for new things to try, but here are my guidelines:
Can't be too expensive, as I use it a lot.
Can't be applied with the finger. That grosses me out.
Has to be small enough to fit into my pocket.
Preferably a twist up kind of balm, (as opposed to a roll on, or wand) similar to chapstick.
Preferably shiny, but not too much actual color, because I hate getting color on my water bottle.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




27 comments:
I try to never get attached to products. As soon as you count on something it goes away. Why this is smart marketing I have no idea but pretty much all manufacturers do this so there must be data somewhere on why this is a good thing. I find it stupid & annoying.
Quit using what you have, wait 2 more months then sell your stuff on eBay for $10 a tube.
Michelle is addicted to Chapstick. There is no substitute for her.
Finally! One of your wacky quirks that I can relate to! *grin*
I don't think I can be much help though. I don't really go for the flavored stuff. My 2 favorites are regular Chapstick or Mint Blistex. Maybe you should try and stick to something like that, because those have been around forever and I don't think they're going anywhere.
A few months ago I bought a 3 pack of Rite-Aid brand lip balm. Totally not the same. It's too waxy. I should've known better.
*puts on Chapstick* *smooches MM*
I feel your pain mm, oh how I feel your pain. I blogged about running out of my fave lip balm awhile ago.
Blistex Silk & Shine is my absolute fave lip balm. *waves to Kim* It's silky smooth and feels so good. I was able to purchase it at my local grocery store, then a few months ago, they no longer had it. I blogged about it and our darling Kim suggested I try Walgreens pharmacy. To my joy, they had some. I stocked up but then when I went back to buy more, they no longer carried it. I think I've been cleaning out everyone's stock LOL.
So, I had to find an alternative lip balm as I truly believe I go a little insane if my lips are dry. Unfortunately, pretty much all the other lips balms I've tried make my lips itch. *pout*
I then decided to try one of the color lip glosses because I do like to have some color on my lips but don't like using lipstick.
I found a nice one by Maybelline. It's in a little tube and it's called Shiny-licious and I buy the banana pudding flavor. *yum*
When I travelled to Canada for the holidays, I carried my very last Blistex lip balm with me and packed the lip gloss in my checked luggage. Well, of course my luggage got lost so I had to go out and purchase some toiletries. I managed to find the same lip gloss at a pharmacy but to my sheer delight, I also found some of my fave Blistex Silk & Shine. Sadly, they only had two in stock so I snatched those up.
Sorry I can't be of much help in recommending an alternative for you as I mentioned, most lip balms make my lips itch.
I do wish you luck though.
*smooches*
ooooh... I loved Blistex Silk and Shine too.
Burts Bees!!!!!!!!!!
Ick. I have some of that Burt Bees stuff. It's awful. It turns my lips white and barely moisturizes.
Nookie has already posted my suggestion *waves*
My intuition says you shouldn't be putting old products on your lips, either, so go find something new.
*scratches itchy lips*
Itchy lips?
I prefer Carmex. It works great and doesn't taste too bad either. Oh wait, I'm not supposed to eat it, am I?
BTW. I'll be sure to wave at you as I fly by this weekend. San Francisco here I come.
Are you mocking moi Puffy? *WHACK*
LOL. I now realize that it's not my actual lips that get itchy, it's the immediate skin around the lips that get itchy. My lips do burn a bit though.
Well, if you didn't have the ban on things applied by finger, I would have a couple of suggestions. Sorry I couldn't help.
Wow, I feel better knowing I am not alone. I will look into the Blistex stuff, I think. Would Walgreens have it?
Arkie, I just don't like that it gets under my fingernails, which are usually long and unpainted. I do have some glosses in those small little pots that I like alot...just not easy for constant use.
Thanks for the input, everyone!!!
*vanilla smooches*
Yes, try Walgreens for the Blistex Silk & Shine. It's in a light purple tube. Blistex has all kinds of lip balms but the only one I liked was the Silk & Shine.
If you do find a stash, let me know. I may have to use you as my dealer LOL.
I forgot. Blistex has this new lip balm called Lip Infusion Moisture Splash. It has a little silver ball at the end and it rolls on your lips. It's a really neat sensation. Like a wet coolness. It was pretty good but expensive and very wet LOL.
DUH. I just googled Blistex Silk and Shine and see they still have it on their list of products and that there are numerous other places that sell it. I may have to do a tour of my city to snatch up all the supplies in the pharmacies and Target. Ulta also sells it.
I find that nothing beats the blood of infidels.
*adds nothing to conversation*
*takes vanilla smooches*
*waits for more*
*smile*
Nookie, let me know what you find, and I'll let you know too. I would be happy to be your dealer. ;-)
*wonders if Bob and Zombs are sharing the Koolaid*
*vanilla smooches MTW*
I now use the lip infusion stuff that Noookie mentioned! I like the little ball!
I'm glad you've got some useful advice. Al I have to add is don't use Crabtree and Evelyn lip balm or the cranberry lip balm from The Body Shop. Both dried my lips out something awful.
Confession: I put regular vaseline on my lips every night. Greasy petrolatum. I am conditioned to it.
But at least I dumped my fall Afrin addiction.
Sometimes I put vaseline on my fingernails. (steals Swami's vaseline)
Blistex Silk and Shine!!! And I can still buy it here in the boonies! *waves @ Nookie*
I may have to go buy out the entire store just in case. *grin*
*applies Silk & Shine and smacks lips* Who wants a smooch?
My current tube of Chapstick is almost gone. I think I'm going to have to try some of this Silk and Shine that you're all raving aboot. (I used the Canadian version of about because I'm posting below Lightsy. *grin*)
I use Chapstick Lip Moisturizer. The regular stuff is too hard and leaves no shine.
*applies lip balm*
*smooches the bloggers*
I buy it but rarely use it. This post did get me to reach for what I have on my desk - Banana Boat Aloe Vera with Vitamin E - it smells like bananas.
When it wears off I will not remember for a couple of days to use it again. *shrugs*
Nookie is addicted to "Hello Kitty" lip gloss. She will not admit it- denial is not just a river.
Hi Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm MM!
I have NO idea what Jen is talking aboot. *giggle*
*smoooches Jen with silky, shiney lips*
Post a Comment