Monday, July 24, 2006

I'm back! (yes, I was gone)

Well, I had a wonderful weekend! I was able to get away, by myself, and totally veg, ALONE! DH agreed to let me leave for the weekend, so I got a hotel (here in town) and enjoyed true solitude. The hotel, which was recommended by a friend, was perfect. It had a DVD player, CD player, a kitchen and was just really extra nice. All the linens were nicer then the normal stuff, and the decor was very pleasant and modern. I got pretty wasted the first night, and remember stumbling around, naked. I let some random guy in the room and had my way with him. We had insane, fantastic sex, all night. /fantasy] Well, I did drink some rum and coke. *grin*

I watched Love Actually, Just Friends, Imagine Me & You, and Shopgirl. I still need to finish Shopgirl, so I don't know yet if I liked it or not. The second night I was there, I decided to leave my comfort zone, and go out to get food. I called it in from Olive Garden, and went there to pick it up. As I was driving into the parking lot, some woman ran up to my car, asked if I spoke English (WTF?) and then started rambling about her car overheating, having three kids stuck out here in the heat, and needing $18.50 for cab fare, to get her home. I *honestly* did not have any cash, which I told her. Her response? She points in two directions and says, "there's an ATM over there, and over there". Ummm. Then she tells me her phone number, as "proof" that she was legit, and offers to get in the car with me while I go get cash. I put my hand up and firmly said NO! Anyways, I needed to park and get out, so I felt pretty trapped, not wanting to face her after denying her $, so I reluctantly said I'd get some cash for her. I walked up the small hill to bank #1, and realized as I got there that the ATM was down. So she walks with me as I head to bank #2. Thankfully, she stayed quite aways back while I did the transaction. Otherwise I would have had to tell her to back off, as that would have made me feel really uncomfortable. I gave her the $20 and wished her luck. I was really anxious to get out of there and back to the safety of the hotel after that. That? Is why I am not a big fan of going out in public alone.

What would you have done? Do you think she was scamming me? I even asked her where her kids were when she started following me, since I didn't want her to leave them, and she pointed *somewhere* and said her 12 year old was watching to two younger ones. *shrug* I'm not sure I care whether it was a scam or not. I just needed to get away from her, and that was all I felt prepared to do (as opposed to telling her no, and listening to her go on and on).

The weekend went way too fast, and I was actually not thrilled to come home, though the kids were happy to see me. And DH was too, of course. I'm not sure being alone full time is for me, but for the weekend, it was wonderful.

edit to add~ I did not like Shopgirl. In fact, I might even say I hated it. I won't give anything away, but it was not how I had hoped it would end.

15 comments:

Bravie said...

Don't let people like her scare you. *smooch*
It does sort of sound like a scam but you never know.
Otherwise it sounds like a nice weekend alone. *grin*

Jen said...

I love Love Actually! And I watched Imagine Me & You last weekend, thought it was cute. I was not a fan of Shopgirl either. What was the other one? Oh. Just Friends. That was cute too.

That was nice of you to give the lady money. I probably would've ignored her and then felt bad later. Of course, what prevented HER from getting money out of the ATM? Did she offer to get your address and pay you back?

Olive Garden sounds sooooooo good. *sigh*

I'm glad you had a good weekend. *smooch*

Puffy said...

Whatever you did, it's over with and you can forget about it. In the future, I would have gone into Olive Garden, gotten my order to go, asked someone to escort me back to my car, and left. It sounds like a scam. She could have gone into the restaurant herself for help...for cash or to use their phone, if she was on the up and up. How did she know exactly what the cab fare would be? She knew someone would give her a $20 and not keep the change. I don't believe her.

Puffy said...

People should not go to an ATM with another person who they don't know. The lady could have had a partner or a gun. She could have forced you to withdraw your maximum allowable from the ATM. She could have stolen your wallet. The ATM is a much more secluded location than the restaurant. I think you were lucky to get away with giving her only $20.

Swami said...

Yeah, you were scammed. And what Puffy said, but don't worry about it now cause it's over & done with. Do you have a cell phone? I would have offered to call a cab for her. She could pay him with money from her house when she got there. *shrug*

Of those movies I have only seen Love, Actually. I'm not big on chick flicks.

mm said...

Ok, here's the thing. She looked poor. Very poor. She said she called the cab and that they agreed to take her home for a fraction of the regular price. That's where the $18.50 came in. Had I actually seen her kids and the broken car, I'd have probably given her more money. Still, it was scary, and I'm leaning towards thinking I was scammed. I was aware of the possibility of a partner, and only went through with it because it was daylight, and there were a lot of people around. I know, it was still dangerous, but I didn't have a lot of time to think. I just reacted.

Puffy said...

I always come up with different solutions AFTER something has taken place. It's difficult to think of all the possibilities right when it's happening.

Immunegirl said...

I would guess that you were probably scammed but I don't know. I wouldn't worry about it or about not thinking of the right solution until later...after all, it took me three days to realize I had a savings account.

I'm glad that you had a nice, relaxing weekend. I'm jealous, actually. :)

mtw said...

MM, do you have any rum and coke left? Can I have some?

I kind of agree that whether you got scammed or not doesn't really matter. Whether she was telling the truth about her situation or not, she clearly needed the money, and if you wanted to give her money for any reason, that's great - very generous of you..

The important thing is that you felt threatened by her presence and felt obligated to give her money to escape that. That's just wrong, and I think you should reevaluate the stuation to see whether you could have avoided *that* feeling. Glad you're okay!!!

Aislinn Sirk said...

I vote with MTW.

Whether or not it was a scam, I think you deserve some Karma out of it.

The weekend sounds nice.

Zombs said...

Sooo jealous! How lovely to have a whole weekend to yourself. I had no time to myself at all on my vacation but that is ok.

As far as the money thing I think MTW said it wonderfully. However I am concerned. Please don't take this the wrong way but do you walk with self confidence? I mean from the parking lot into places? That means a lot. If you have a certain look then it could signal you out as a potential target. Act strong even if you don't feel strong. I know it sounds easier than it is to do.

Again I don't mean to scare you either.

HistoryDetective said...

That was you?

~Nutz said...

Pbbbt! Tease! I can't believe you hooked me on that first paragraph!

If I were you, I would've sent the random guy to Olive Gardnen to get my food so the woman would have to bother him instead!

mm said...

Zombs, to answer your question, I don't think I am very approachable looking at all. I walk very straight (no slouching) and I look around me at all times, very aware. This time, I was approached while still driving. She was acting desperate, and my guess is she had already approached a lot of people, and I was just the latest. I kept my cell phone in my hand, and frankly, the look I had on my face the whole time was one of agitation, not fear.

mm said...

LOL, Nutz. Random hook-up guys usually don't stick around long enough to be gentlemanly.