Thursday, July 06, 2006

Creepy!

When I mentioned seeing a movie last weekend, what I didn't mention was the drive home. After the movie, my parents, brother and I (brother was driving for my parents) went to get gas across the street from the theater. As we were leaving the gas station, a young man in a low sports car (Corvette, I think) drove past me and gave that creepy look (you know which look I mean) but I didn't think twice about it. I was yapping away on my cell phone, mindlessly following my parents van, driving towards home. As were about a mile from the gas station, I noticed a car riding my ass, but didn't pay close attention. After we turned onto another street, it was still there, but so close I couldn't even see headlights in the rear-view mirror! He eventually passed, and I didn't even look over to see who it was or anything.

Anyhow, a couple more miles later, we were almost home, but stopped at a traffic light, when I heard a honk next to me. I looked over, to see a man waving at me. I looked away quickly, but kinda laughed it off because the lane he was in went straight, whereas my lane had to turn left. Ordeal over, I assumed. Being oblivious still (and still yapping on the phone) I didn't notice that he veered into my lane after I had turned, and was behind me again. I didn't notice it until we were at another light, and he hung back next to my car (he should have been several car paces ahead) and honked again. This time I kinda realized that he looked familiar, and that he was the same guy from the gas station! At this point, I was pretty close to home, but didn't think I should head there, with him following. What I didn't realize was that my brother had been watching him since the moment we got gas, and was aware he was tailing me. When the guy tried to stay even with my speed, my brother got in front of him and put his breaks on, then cut him off as he tried to change lanes. The guy figured out we were all together I guess, because at the very next street, he turned. My brother (and parents) followed me home after that.

When I got out of my car, I was feeling pretty sheepish because I had been such a dunce about it. I was completely unaware of him until I was almost home. My dad kinda yelled at me :( and said I wasn't paying attention (which was completely true, of course).

I just had to wonder, what the hell does a guy think is going to happen when you clearly are ignoring him? Why continue to follow? Did he think his persistence would pay off? So tell me, what has your experiences been? I'm sure most women have had something like this happen. Damn Creepy Men!!

15 comments:

~Nutz said...

See??? Talking on your cell phone while driving can be hazardous to your health!!! *grin*

Once I had a guy follow me around a grocery store. It took me a few aisles to realize he was there in each one. I had a big cart and all he had was a handbasket, the ones you use when you're only picking up a few things, meaning he really didn't need to go into every aisle!

After I figured out he was following me, I waited in the paper product aisle pretending to peruse all the different types, when he realized I wasn't coming into the next aisle, he came up the other end and I stared him straight in the face. He disappeared after that. Creep!

Swami said...

What the guy gets, MM, is control. He knows where you live and he can drive by and fantisize what he might do with that knowledge any time he wants. Also I think some guys just enjoy knowing they are intimidating a woman. Either way, discovered or not, it sucks. If this guy was riding your ass, then I think he mostly wanted to intimidate you. TG for brothers, huh?

I always try to pay attention whenever I drive away from a public place. I decided to not drive home only once, because I thought some guy was following me. I'm still not sure if he was following or not, but I drove through enough signaless turns that I either lost him or he figured out I had made him and took off. Who knows.

Bravie said...

What a freaky dude. I'm glad that your brother was there. *hugs*

Schnookie said...

Not just creepy but absolutely frightening! Thank goodness your family was there and your brother was aware of things. And, good for you for finally realizing it also and not driving to your own house. One never knows with the freaks out there in the world.

*HUGS*

I once thought a guy was following me home after getting off a bus. It was late at night. I've never run so fast in my whole life. My lungs were burning. I stupidly ran to my apartment building. He probably wasn't following me and I scared myself more than anything LOL.

Jen said...

Well, I can't say I blame the guy. You are a hot chick, after all. I'd stalk ya too. :) Yay for your brother! *smooch*

I was out with a friend once, we went to a pizza place and had dinner and when we left, someone followed us. We thought maybe we had left our purse or something and they were just trying to return it, but we soon realized that wasn't the case. I was driving and it was the scariest thing ever. I didn't know what to do, I just kept making odd turns, even going the wrong way down one way streets and he kept following. Ack! After what seemed an eternity, we saw a cop that had pulled someone over on the side of the road, so I pulled up behind him and the guy took off. Then we had the cop escort us back to my friends dorm. It was really frightening, and every time I pass that street that we found the cop on, I think about it. *shudder*

mtw said...

MM called me young! :)
*beaming*

FTR - guys think you'll be so flattered by the attention that you'll stop and give him a blow job right there at the side of the road. Happens all the time.

FTR (really this time) - your dad was right! I'm glad your brother was there for you and was paying closer attention than you were.

*smooch*

Supes said...

1.He wanted you to look at his car.
2.He is automatically a stud because of his car.
3. He knows you want him because of his car.

Either that or you cut him off 10 miles before the gas station and didn't notice, so he was following you to kill you. Guys do that sometimes.

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

Just glad you were ok.

Emily RugBurn said...

I witness this "creepy guy" behaviour a lot. (It usually only happens to me when I'm at Blockbuster in my pajamas and not dolled-up at some fancy downtown club or restaurant... WTF is that about?!)

Anyway - I am always aware of it. I'm one of those people who can carry on a conversation in a crowded place - like a restaurant - and yet still manage to figure out what the couple seated behind us is fighting about and why the guy at table one has returned his meal. DH calls it "effing annoying". I, however, choose to call it "a gift".

As soon as I get that uneasy feeling that someone's watching or following me, I immediately immerse myself in a populated area or let the person/people I'm with know about "creepy guy, 6 o'clock" so they can all give him the hairy eyeball which chases him away. If I feel weird about being in a certain place or area of town - especially at night - I get out of it immediately. Once, I freaked myself out so badly I chose to take a $30 cab home, rather than take (the $2) public transit at 1:30am. And it was totally worth it.

Swami said...

You go to Blockbuster in your pajamas?

Debcapsfan said...

I once had a creepy guy come sit down next to me on the train and put his hand down his pants. It was horrible.

I'm glad you're okay. *smooch*

mtw said...

Debs, was he getting busy, or just doing an Al Bundy. Because guys really do sit like that (Al Bundy style). Not ME, of course!

mm said...

Thanks for sharing some of your stories, ladies. I assumed it was a fairly common occurence. I have to wonder; does it ever happen to men?

LOL @ MTW!

And Supes, I bet you're right and I missed my one chance to be with a stud in a cool car. Damn!

Em, oddly, I got more creepy attention when I was pregnant, then ever before. I wasn't wearing my pajamas, though. ;-)

Jennifer said...

Something like that happened to a friend and me a few months ago when we were coming back from the mall. FTR, the closest mall is about 45 minutes away. We were on a 3 lane stretch of highway, and, as usual, I was in the left lane, passing cars. (It's a 60 mph stretch of road but lots of people insist on going 55.) She and I were chatting and singing along with the radio when a car came flying up in the center lane next to us. Then it just stayed there. If I sped up, he sped up. If I slowed down, he slowed down. There were two guys in the car. We looked at them at first because we thought it was someone we knew. We realized we didn't know them and we tried to ignore them, but they just stayed right beside us. I kept trying to slow down and get behind them, but like I said, they kept matching my speed and I didn't want to slow way down and cause an accident. They must have stayed right beside us for at least 20 miles, and I couldn't do anything since I was stuck in the left lane. Fortunately, they ended up getting off the highway about 15 miles before we got home. But it was definitely creepy, and I can totally understand how you must have felt.

HistoryDetective said...

Maybe he likes peanut butter too...