Monday, July 10, 2006

Part two (the point)

So fast forward 8 years. I am 18, and cleaning the front bathroom at my parent's house (I have no idea why I remember the exact location) when all of a sudden, like an epiphany, it hits me; there is no effing way that the cops would have been on the way to my house, to take me to Juvenile hall, without some kind of...I don't know...procedure. There is also no way that we had to wait, to see "if the cops could be reached and told not to come". So I replay the night, and the conversation my dad had with the "store manager" and it hits me, that was bullshit! I should have known before, as my dad and mom are very good at this kind of crap. To teach me a lesson, they concocted a plan to scare the crap out of me, and teach me a lesson. This part I can live with, but what happened after that, was, I started questioning all kinds of things I had formerly believed, because "someone had told me" it. I came up with several things, in addition to the bullshit Cops are Coming story.

I realized that 1) the Howard Johnson is not the best, most top-of-the-line, Hotel ever. They just wanted to excite us, I guess, and talked it up.

I realized that my parents did not go out and play "scarecrow" (WTF?) where they would walk on thin ice and hope nobody fell through, when they went out with friends late at night (only used while we were at the cabin during the winter). They were probably just at the lodge, eating dinner. My dad just had a effed up sense of humor.

I realized that giving your virginity to your husband, on your wedding night, is not the only gift you can give him. It's probably a nice gift, I'm sure, but nobody died when it didn't work out that way.

I realized that there are some drugs you can take, and you won't die the very first time you try it. (granted, this one has kept me from doing any drugs, other than the one time I tried smoking pot)

It's funny, I was thinking about this all this weekend, and I was remembering some funny things, but now, as I write this, of course I can hardly remember anything (other than these lame examples). My point is, I wonder how many of us carry childhood impressions, into adulthood, without stopping to think about whether they are as accurate as we think. I know I'm forgetting the good examples, and grasping at straws here, but do you know what I mean? Are there things we learn (i.e. hear) when we are kids, and we never stop to rethink them (maybe because most never even come up again)?

I hope I'm not painting my parents as horrible liars, because I don't think they are (anymore than I am, as I like to call it "teasing"). Still, it makes me think twice about everything I tell my kids.

19 comments:

Bravie said...

Yep. I know exactly what you mean. And I think about it a lot. Simple and innocuous little things but still make me think. And I've had those moments like you had. Where I look back on something that happened years ago and say to myself "wait a minute...Oh, I get it now".

And do i win a prize? I asked in your last post if your Dad was just messing with you.

Puffy said...

Did you ever tell your parents about your revelation about their lie?

I know what you mean, too. We think our parents are "all-knowing" and only later find out that they are human.

mtw said...

As a contrarian, I'm constantly questioning the conventional wisdom or the popular opinion.

I don't remember my parents ever doing anything like yours did, but like you, I know I have childhood impresions that I question now, although I can't think of a single one at the moment.

mm said...

Yes Carey, you get a prize. You just name what you want, and I'll make sure you get it. *grin*

Puffy, I did eventually tell my mom and I think she just smiled, and didn't say much. Can't really remember now.

MTW, dig deeper. Come back when you have something to share. :)

Rose said...

Ok, I'll confess. When I was in junior high, I was a bead Klepto. I made necklaces from stolen goods from Jo-ann fabrics. It was pretty bad. I quit when I realized how easy it would be to get caught.

I think my mom knew the whole time, and was waiting for me to get caught.

Swami said...

According to my sister everything I remember about my childhood is pretty much wrong. Turns out, my childhood was all about her!

Seriously though, I don't think my parents ever outright lied to me to scare me. I could be sufficiently scared by the truth, I guess. My folks were explainers. Everything got explained, with pros and cons listed--so I guess I consider questioning things part of life. Back in the 60s this meant I also questioned my peers' anti-establishment rhetoric, which did not go down well. The way I see it Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy and I don't want any, tyvm.

Surveysez said...

You mean, chocolate milk doesn't come from brown cows?

Bravie said...

I want shrimp gumbo, please.

Jen said...

LMAO @ the Howard Johnson. You're so cute.

mm said...

LOL Carey. I had no idea why you posted that comment in my blog, and I even went to your blog, wondering if it was some weird Carey thing. Doh! Then it hit me, out of the blue why you said it. Shrimp gumbo? Ok, but I'll have to mail it, since the smell makes me sick.

Rose! I'm shocked at you! ;-)

Swami, isn't it funny how siblings can see things so differently?

Survey, I never implied anything of the sort. I know very well that that's where chocolate milk comes from. :)

*smooch* Jen! If I ever take you out, I'll take you somewhere REAL nice, like the Holiday Inn. I promise.

Sonya said...

Just stopped by to say hi and see I'm missing a good story.

mm said...

Sonya! Thanks for coming in to say hi. We've missed you!

*smooch*

Hope all is going well.

Chrissy (woe) said...

Hi sweety, I've loved all your pics and am so happy (and proud of you!) that you attended a peep meet.

My mom never said stuff to scare me, but with all the beatings I was just plain scared (of everything) and tried to stay under the radar, escaping reality in books.

But I do think about things I hear people say to their kids.

*smooch*

Emily RugBurn said...

I missed Part I, and since your template doesn't load for me properly I'm unable to read it ;o(, but to answer your question:

When I see a pregnant lady walking down the street, I *still* think to myself" "Yikes - she must've swallowed a watermelon seed."

Thanks Grandpa.

Jen said...

IF you ever take me out? Hrmph!

Bravie said...

Instead of mailing it, I'll just come and visit you and get it that way. *grin*

Immunegirl said...

Yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean! It really started to hit me over the past couple of years that my mom is kind of nutty and that she has driven some rather strange ideas into my head which aren't necessarily true. I can't think of a good one off the top of my head, but every so often I realize them.

Can anyone tell me what activities really are a bad idea during a thunder and lightning storm (because you could get electrocuted) and what is perfectly fine?? I think my sister and I are scared of storms because we've been taught too many ways to get electrocuted. Can you really get electrocuted by taking a shower during a thunder storm?

mm said...

Hi Chrissy, it's nice to see you are back. :) *smooch*

LOL, Em. I'd rather scare the kids into thinking that sex causes pregnancy. ;-)

Jen, I meant WHEN, of course. And we'll go ahead and upgrade that to the Motel 6, ok darling?


Carey, you can come by my house and get it anytime you want. /dare

Iggy, I have no idea about lightening storms. I guess water was not supposed to be good, right? Anything metal, maybe?

MM <-- no help at all

Schnookie said...

Very interesting mm and I understand exactly what you are saying.

I can't recall anything interesting that my parents said to scare me. One thing I always think about during a thunder storm is to make sure not to have windows open at each end of the house cause it'll cause a pathway for the lightning. DH laughs at me for still believing this one.

Iggy, LOL. Not only should you not take a shower during the storm but you shouldn't sit on the toilet either. The lightning can come up the toilet. I've never investigated this so I still don't know whether it's true or not. Better safe than sorry so I just stay away from the bathrooms during a storm LOL.

My older brothers were more likely to scare me.

I'm sure some of you got the "don't make faces like that cause your face will remain that way".

Any time we would drive out into the country, my dad would roll down the windows and breath in the air. As we were passing a cow pasture, he'd say, "smell that fresh air". He loved it. Of course, we'd all be crying out, "EWWWWWWWWWWWW". I have to say, if I'm ever out in the country these days and get a wiff of a cow pasture, I roll down the windows and say the same thing my dad did, then I smile at the memory. :-)