Sunday, September 14, 2008

Karaoke?

I found out tonight that one of the attorneys at the office goes to bars and sings karaoke on a regular basis. I was floored. This guy is almost 60 (and looks older), and is a majorly conservative single guy who seems to have issues with being shy. At least that was *my* take on him. He just seems...awkward. He flies (and owns a plane), he sits in as a pro tem judge all the time and is a criminal law attorney. I don't know why, but he just doesn't seem like the bar-hopping, karaoke singing kind of guy to me, lol. My boss had told me about it months ago and I accused him of lying, lol. Today at the office (I went in with my mom to help her get some stuff done) , Russ asked me into the break room with Daryl and asked him to tell me about his night life. Daryl started talking about all kinds of clubs, bars and places he goes. He said sometimes after leaving court he'll just stop in and sing a song somewhere. *snort* I'm not sure why I find this so amusing, maybe you'd have to know him to get it, but I'm just enormously intrigued by it.

Which leads me to, do YOU karaoke? Daryl told me about his first time and how it all happened, and I told him that I did it once in a group on a cruise ship. I would *never* sing alone though. It's just not me. I admire those that do. Daryl acknowledged that he thinks he "is making a fool of himself", but for whatever reason, he still does it. Have you done it? If not, what would it take for you to do it?

Personally, I want to make plans to go somewhere sometime and watch it. That's what I'm better at. :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have done it once - last summer at our adopted family's reunion. I am happy that it was dark outside.

I sang "Guys Do It" by myself and then "Lipstick Lullabye" (I think) with one of Michael's co-workers, who is into it big time.

I honestly think I would just fall out and die if I found out my boss did something like that.

Bravie said...

I will do it when I'm drunk. I always go saying that I will NOT do it. Then a couple of cocktails later I am signing my drunk ass up for a song. Hrmph.

kim (weltek) said...

I did it with a big group at a bachelorette party ("Dancing Queen"). I didn't really enjoy it, but had enough to drink that I just ignored my hatred of cliche karaoke songs and groups making spectacles out of themselves.

Single peeps that do it once in awhile? I like to watch for the train-wreck factor. :-)

Peeps that do karaoke as a full-time hobby? I like it! It makes me laugh and some have real entertainment talent!

Breezy said...

I sing, so does DBF. *grin* The first time I needed a lot of liquid courage. Not as much any more. But mind you this is front of strangers, I would freak out and not be able to sing in front of friends.

Tummy said...

I've done it when I was very drunk, with a group. I believe we sang "New York" and "Born to be Wild" and "Paradise by the dashboard light". Yeah, once we got up there they couldn't get us down. *grin

Anonymous said...

I forgot I sang Bye Bye Miss American Pie long ago before it was really considered Karaoke. I just got up on stage with the band. No words on a screen - just the words in my head.

Puffy said...

Nope, no karaoke for me.

Swami said...

*sits with Puffy*

Are you going to try to see Daryl himself sing? Because that would be fun!

Julia said...

Oh hell yes.

Even sober.

I do hell of good Aretha Franklin.

But the best?

Me. Hall and Oates. "I Can't Go For That"

Aw yeah.

MM said...

I *heart* Hall and Oats. LOVE them.

I think it would be fun to see Daryl, but I'm not sure HE would like it so much, lol.