Monday, March 10, 2008

I did it!

Edited to add ~ I paid...***drumroll***... $16! Local hair salon. Didn't even know the lady before I went in!

I did two things, actually. One, I went to the college by myself last Friday and used the computer lab. Might not seem like much to the normal person, but for me, it was a huge accomplishment. A couple years ago, I would have had to take an anti-anxiety pill to do it (or let's be honest; I wouldn't have done it at all a mere couple of years ago...), but I haven't used any for a long time. I was a nervous wreck going there and with good reason. First of all, you have to *sign in* when you get there (after figuring out that the lab is on the second floor) and then you have to *ask for help* when you realize the computer isn't using Windows Vista. Then you have to switch to the other side of the room where they *are* using Windows Vista. Then you have to walk funny so your boot doesn't make a clicking noise. Then you have to do your homework. Then you have to sign out when you leave. *hyperventilates at memory* It was insane. *grin* I was very proud of myself, actually. I noticed my hands were shaking like crazy while I was there, but I think when I go back on Monday I will be totally fine. I'm really comfortable once I know what to expect.


The other thing I did? I cut my hair. *hops* Now, I knew you'd want pictures, so I went ahead and took a couple. Here's the hard part. Both pictures suck! DD took the one where I'm *gasp* smiling (laughing actually) and I took the other one with my camera phone. Both show my current hideous complexion that I'm still living with since The Big Burn last weekend. *sigh* But for you guys, I swallow my pride. The second picture is ridiculous because of my confused expression. You are all given permission to make fun of me. I will likely take these both down fairly soon. Oh, and here's something lovely. After doing my hair for the first time today (haircut was yesterday), I was walking out from my room and DD tells me I finally have a "mommy cut". Gah! So *not* what I was going for. Stinkin' brat. At any rate, the goal is to grow my hair out now. I'm not crazy about the length, but I am happy it's feeling healthier.



Any guesses on how much the haircut cost?



Behold:







14 comments:

Swami said...

I like the new 'do!

Uh, $45?

kim (weltek) said...

OMG! I LOVE the new do! LOVE.IT!

I'm almost forgetting about the rest of the stuff, I'm so fixated on the adorable hair. However, I can totally see your anxiety, but am glad you dove in and made it through. I hate having to go somewhere everyone ELSE knows what they are doing. Like our library at the UW. You can't check journals out...you have to scan them at the photocopier and send them to your email. I didn't want to ask someone for help, tried to look like I knew what I was doing, but finally had to find a librarian.

momma said...

Love, love, LOVE the new haircut!!! Super cute. And not at all a 'mommy cut'...little brat! *grin*

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love it!!!

Jen said...

Yay for you! I am exactly the same way when doing or going somewhere for the first time. I freak out at every little thing, but once I've done it I'm fine.

*whistle* You look great! Love the haircut! You have such a beautiful smile, you should show it more often.

*besa*

Schnookie said...

Yay for you getting to the college. I feel your pain. I was like that last week when I went for my mammo. I decided to be a big girl and drive myself, rather than ask DH to drive me there. I was very panicked.

I love your new haircut! That first pic looks like one of those portfolio shots ... or like the pics up on the Big Brother wall LOL. Seriously, very pretty and definitely not a mommy cut. Unless mommies are now wearing fab hairstyles.

I'm hoping you found someone that has a good price and did a fantastic job.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Yeah for going to computer lab!

I am proud of you!

MM said...

Ok, I had to take the one picture out already, lol. The one still there isn't exactly great for showing the new hair, but it's all I got.

I'm glad you guys like it! *whew* I edited the post to say that I paid $16 for the cut. I just made an appointment at the local Hair Masters. Not bad, eh?

kim (weltek) said...

I get some great cuts at the Cost Cutters/Great Clips/etc. kinds of places here. It's just hit or miss, unfortunately. The hairdressers that are good never stick around there long.

MM said...

I got this lady's name and hopefully she'll stick around because I really liked her. She'd been doing hair for over 20 years and had just moved here from San Diego.

Swami said...

Forgot to say I don't mind going places where you have to figure stuff out as long as there are, like, Help Desks or Help Counters. I am very good at commanding such people to help me. I dislike situations where there are only machines and no one to tell you what to do with them, or where you have to count on the Kindness of Strangers to guide you. The latter is way too hit-or-miss for me!

Em B said...

Cute haircut!

There are two cats in the picture. One in front of the dorr, and one in back. The picture almost looks like one cat and his reflection, but there really is two. If you look at the way their heads are tilted, you can tell they can't possibly be reflections of each other. They are my babies.

Also, kudos on overcoming the anxiety!

Bravie said...

Yay for all of your big steps. Love the hair cut, it s very flattering.
*smooch*

Puffy said...

I only see one picture and it is gorgeous! It is SO NOT a mommy cut! It's cute and bouncy and fun.

I'm glad you had a good experience at the college. One step at a time; by next year, you'll be a teacher's aide with your own office hours!