Sunday, August 06, 2006

No more wisdom teeth ---Continuation

WooHoo! Even though I'm still in pain, I can open my mouth a whole lot more tonight! This makes me very happy. Also, I have never wanted popcorn as much as I have since Friday, when I was specifically told I must not have any. *pout* When do things go back to normal???
And? For the first time in, well forever, I can have Vicodin without it making me sick. Now? I kinda like the stuff. Dont worry! I'm not getting addicted or anything, but man! It sure takes the pain away. And Yay! I can open my mouth again!!!


________________________________________________________________


So, as I posted last time, I was going to have my last two wisdom teeth removed. When I went in on Friday, I was pretty nervous. I knew that they would want to use general anesthesia, as opposed to a local. I was ok with it, but for some reason, completely blanked on the fact that that meant I'd need to have an IV put it. *slaps forehead* When they mentioned it, I panicked a bit, and asked if they could at least rub that numbing stuff over the skin first, but they said no. :( I was laid into the chair, and he started the IV (which to my shock, was not bad at all). I noticed almost immediately that I felt weird in my head, and I asked if that was normal. He said yes.

The next thing I knew, I was being woken up by the assistant, who was telling me it was all over. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I started crying the second she woke me up. I was shocked of course, since it felt as though I'd just sat in the chair, but also, I think deep down, it felt wrong that it was over, when I didn't even have to open my mouth or anything. It feels weird to know that they did all that to me, while I was completely unconscious. I know that's the point, but still. It freaked me out. So I was crying, and wobbly, and she led me to a recovery room. Without thinking, I took my phone from my purse and tried calling a friend of mine. She didn't answer, and I realized right after that that it was a good thing, since my mouth was full of gauze and I couldn't talk anyways, LOL. I felt really nauseous, and told her I might throw up, so she laid me down, and it eventually passed. My DH came shortly after that to pick me up, and took me home. I think I slept for a while after that.

Since then, I've been taking Vicodin/Lortab and Tylenol #3, alternately. While on the drugs, I'm feeling pretty good, though quite drowsy. The left side of my cheek/jaw area is swollen, and I look too funny to go out. :( Oddly, the other side (where he also removed a tooth) is completely fine, as though nothing happened. He said it was because he had to remove a lot of bone on the left side, since the tooth had grown in sideways. *yuck*

So, who here still has their wisdom teeth? No problems with them?

23 comments:

Zombs said...

You are scaring me! I have wisdom's that have grown in sideways that I have not had removed yet at the old age of 35. They are probably in good as my dentist has told me.

I was going to get them out in my early 20's but lost my insurance. Then when I had it again it was one thing after another...marriage, babies etc.

Now? Even with our insurance I don't think we can afford it. They don't bother me though.

Glad you feel better!

dragonflies said...

Yikes! Glad you survived ok MM. My wisdom teeth are long gone. They yanked them out one at a time, while I was still awake.

I remember having gone under general anesthesia once, when I had my nose rebroken. It was really scary before hand, and I felt the same as you, that one minute I was awake, then next asleep, the next back awake again.

Remember, if you smoke, not to for a few days.

{hugs}

Jen said...

Ouchy. *sympathy*

I still have all my wisdom teeth. My dentist says I should get them out. One of them is sideways, like yours. I'm skeered. LOL.

*steals a Vicodin* *grin*
Feel better soon! *smooch*

Schnookie said...

What a relief that it's all over for you now. *HUGS*

I've only had one wisdom tooth in my life and it's still there. It grew in sideways. What a bitch to brush it LOL.

The dentist wants to yank it but I refuse to. Don't know why I'm so freaky about it. I guess I remember the old days when I used to have teeth pulled as a kid and I seem to remember them using pliers and a lot of tooth crunching. Don't forget, I'm old LOL. I'm sure the techniques today are better but I'm just scared as hell to have it done. I'd also freak out if I had to have a root canal done. *shudder*

Besides, with all the dental insurance woes I've gone through lately, I know I couldn't afford an extra pulling of my wisdom tooth.

Jennifer said...

I feel your pain. I had all 4 of mine taken out last summer. Be grateful that you woke up when it was all over. I sort of woke up during it and I still remember hearing this loud *crunch!* as they broke my bottom left tooth to get it out. GAH!

I cried a lot the day it was done too. Dwight brought me home and put me to bed after I took the painkillers. It was so frustrating with all that gauze in my mouth. I woke up at one point needing more painmeds and I tried to call out to him but it was just a big grunt. He had fallen asleep on the couch and I didn't know where he put the pills so I had to go out and shake him awake.

The first day was the worst. I stayed in bed the next couple of days, and he came home on his lunch hour every day to check on me and get me applesauce or mashed potatoes or some other soft food.

Oh, and my cheeks were black and blue for about a week and a half.

Emily RugBurn said...

I had all 4 of mine out about 7 years ago. (It is no coincidence that I have not been to the dentist for 7 years -- thankfully, I'm an avid brusher.) I'm glad I got the local anesthetic -- but you're right - it's incredibly bizarre to wake up as quickly as you fell asleep.

I too did not realize I had gauze in my mouth -- until several hours later when the freezing was starting to wear off. Then, pulling the gauze from my mouth was like a clown pulling one of those 10-foot hanky chains from his shirt. Quite comical.

I'm allergic to Tylenol (weird, I know), so I got straight codeine which worked wonders for about 1 hour at a time -- and that's when I did all my eating. Also, quite comical.

One of my cheeks also looked better than the other. It's weird how they don't heal uniform. It took a while before they were completely back to normal, but it wasn't too long before I was comfortable enough to go out. If I remember correctly, I had them out on a Thursday morning, and I was back at work on Monday.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

Zombs said...

Oh no! You lost all your wisdom now!

mtw said...

I think I had some removed, but truthfully, I don't even remember. Actually, I'm pretty sure I had at least two removed.

I guess it wasn't an experience that traumatized me for life or I'd remember better!

Glad you're okay! (you ARE okay, aren't you?)

kim (weltek) said...

*feeds MM jello*
I still have mine and they aren't giving me trouble, although the dentist says it's time for them to go.

arkie said...

My wisdom teeth never came in.

Bravie said...

I have my upper wisdom teeth. But because I grind, the one on the left is pretty worn down and the filling keeps falling out. The dentist said that next time we have to fill it, he's just going to have them pulled.
I need my wisdom.
A dyslexic man walks into a bra...*snort* Eminem is funny

Puffy said...

I know the feeling. It's very strange to know that all this happened to you and you didn't even know it. Sort of like being temporarily dead, IMO.

I think I cried or laughed when I came out of the anesthesia. And I think it was some kind of truth serum because DH said that I said some weird things. Uh oh! LOL

I'm glad that they were so good at putting in the IV. You must have good, visible veins.

Hope you have a speedy recovery. Here, have some ice cream.

mtw said...

*LOL* at Carey. What did the man order???

MM, did it act as truth serum as Puffy suggested?

*sits*
*wonders*
*waits*

mm said...

Zombie, just because they are there, it doesn't mean they need removed. They're probably fine being left alone. :)

Hi Dragonflies! I don't smoke, so no worries there...but no sucking!!! ;-)

*Gives Jen another Vicodin, just cuz* *smooch*

Nookie, don't even get me started on the cost of this damn thing! The teeth were only $45 each, but the general anesthesia? $435! Ouch!

Luna, that sounds awful! I'm on day three and and upset that I'm still in pain at all. I've always recovered pretty well from this kinda thing, so being dependant on pain meds is icky for me.

Hey Em! Glad I'm not the only one with the odd swelling. *smooch*

Kim, it feels nice to finally have it done, though I have to admit, if it weren't for the cavity, they'd still be here, lol!

Arkie, lucky you! *envious*

Carey, I'm surprised that they even filled a wisdom tooth, I thought they just liked to pull them, at the first sign of trouble. *shrug*
{glad you liked (got) the joke, OLO! ;-)}

Puff, now you've got me all worried about things I might have said! On second thought, with all that stuff in my mouth, I'm sure they wouldn't have understood me.

MTW, let's just hope I didn't use any hand signals! :D

Puffy said...

Well, perhaps you signaled with just one finger?

~Nutz said...

I don't have any wisdom teeth, but I still have wisdom! Mine were taken out while ago. I have forgotten the pain.

Bravie said...

Normally they do pull them. But since I grind my teeth, the dentist wants to keep them as long as possible for a little more padding.

Swami said...

I'm like Arkie and never had wisdom teeth. I believe this means I am a highly evolved being, lol.

I have never had general anesthesia at a dentist's altho I have had it several times in hospital. Once was a light anesthesia for a quick laparascopic look-see and I woke up quick and easily. I don't remember being upset or crying.

The second time was for a gall bladder removal. Waking up was very uncomfortable and discombobulating; my throat hurt like heck.

I have had several root canals. They never bothered me.

I hope you have a speedy recovery, MM. I think mouth wounds usuallu heal pretty quickly.

*makes popcorn*
*fans popcorn smell into MM's blog*

Seana said...

Wow. You sure got a lot of drugs. I only got Tylenol 3's and didn't really need them all. I had all 4 of mine pulled a few years ago, since I was about to lose my insurance. They were squishing the other teeth together and screwing up the placement. My mother told me that she'd kill me if I messed up my teeth after she spent all that money on my braces. :D

Hope you're feeling *much* better now.

Why is Jen not complaining about the teeth talk? Hmm? Is it just teeth in *my* blog she doesn't like to hear about? Hmm?

Schnookie said...

I think my biggest fear of having my wisdom tooth taken out is having the general anesthesia. I'd be afraid of how I would react coming out of it.

The first time I had an operation in the hospital, I had a total panick attack and was crying when I woke up because I thought I was choking. I think that was when they were pulling the tube out of my throat. Completely frightening.

The 2nd time in the hospital, I had a hysterectomy but was keeping my ovaries. This was a huge concern for me because the surgeon wanted to remove them. So, when I woke up after the operation, I guess I was panicking and crying yet again, because the nurse was trying to calm me down by telling me I still had my ovaries LOL.

When DH had his wisdom teeth pulled years ago, it was the funniest thing ever. When I went to pick him up, he thought he was Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Starship Enterprise. When the nurse told him I was there to pick him up, he looked at me and said, "Make it so #1" *snort*

And, that is why I'd be afraid to have the general anesthesia at the dentist. If I said anything embarrassing, I wouldn't want to show my face there again LOL.

Debcapsfan said...

I still have my wisdom teeth. I am hoping this doesn't jinx me.

Syren said...

Sweetie the only reason you want popcorn right now is because they told you you cannot have any...

What about that popcorn for people with braces, its pretty good for a fix.

Immunegirl said...

I am a freak. I don't have wisdom teeth. When I went to get braces oh so many years ago they were able to tell from the Xray that I didn't have any and would never have any.

I'm sorry to hear that it was so icky! Hearing all of your stories I am glad not to have to deal with it.