Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Need Help!

Ok folks, I'm leaving town first thing tomorrow morning, and before I go, I have to get a gift for my mom. I'm going to a family reunion thing we do every year, and every year we all draw names so we can buy an anniversary gift for that couple. I picked my parents. I had already bought this little painting/drawing thing that my dad loved, from an antique place, and I'm having it re-matted and framed, but I'm drawing a blank for my mom. I need ideas. Something cheap, and preferably, something that won't add to the clutter all over her house. I went into a local spa and the package prices were outrageous. Nothing under $200, I'm pretty sure. I love her and all, but um, I'm on a budget. Dad's gift will end up costing me well over $100, by the time it's all finished, so now I'm stressed because I don't want her to think I didn't care as much about her...*sigh* Anyways, any good ideas for something I can buy *today* that's relatively inexpensive?

I have waited until the very last minute to do all the stuff I should have been doing all week. I have to clean the kitchen, fold mountains of laundry, pack for the kids and myself, clean the rest of the house, and get the gifts prepared. The kids and I will be leaving DH at home, and he'll join us either Friday night or Saturday morning. I can't wait to make the drive myself, this year! I'll take lots of pics to share, when I get back.

You all have a great rest of the week, and a great weekend, too!

13 comments:

Bravie said...

No clue about the present but have a great time. *smooch*

Swami said...

If your mom likes stuff in a clutter, go with it and get her a cute chatsky. One she can put under the painting so they are a "set". I don't know how to spell chatsky, but it is very important over on HGTV.

Have a great time!

Emily RugBurn said...

My Mom is the most difficult person to buy for. She doesn't like *anything*, she doesn't have any hobbies, and she's famous for not wearing any of the clothing you give her, but I think the best I've done with her lately was a nice, soft robe and slippers. It's something you'll wear around the house even if you don't like it. And even if you already have one, a new fluffy one is better than an old ratty one.

Also, for something a little more personal and less than $50, you can always hit an engraveables type store. For bridesmade gifts, I had pocket mirrors engraved with their names and then our names and the wedding date. If a pocket mirror isn't your mom's thing (it sure isn't mine!), they have a plethora of other stuff to choose from (jewelery boxes, etc...).

If I think of anything else, I'll swing by again!

Good luck, mm!

Aislinn Sirk said...

A nice fluffy kitten!

kim (weltek) said...

I like the fluffy robe & slippers idea that emily gave. Try the stores like TJ Maxx, etc for good robe deals.

I also like Swami's chatsky idea. Makes sense.

You are a good daughter. *smooch*

mtw said...

Ok, here's my two cents. The picture may have been one your DAD loved, but it will be for *their* house, right? I don't think you really need to get your mom a separate gift. Don't you sometimes get them a gift with mostly HER in mind?

If you want to do something REALLY special, get her a card and a very small gift. Write something nice about her in the card; something you wouldn't normally say. Acknowledge that the gift was something your Dad will mostly appreciate but that you hope she enjoys seeing his (hopefully positive) reaction. Give this to her before they get the gift as a couple.

That way, you're giving something better than a clutter-adding gift. By letting her in on the surprise in advance, she won't be able to help but feel very excited for him when they open the gift.

And? It's REALLY cheap! ;-)

Syren said...

The robe idea is good...things remembered has some that are like after shower wraps and they can put her name on it. You can tell her about the name part and maybe she can take it later. I got those for my bridesmaids and they loved them.

Other than that I was going to suggest maybe making an at home spa basket...with some lotion, bath gel, a good lofah or natural sponge thing, some bath beads, pillow, just different things to allow her to pamper herself. Maybe throw in some foot stuff to make her tosies feel all good.

Seana said...

If a chatsky is some kind of little display case for knick-knacks, that's what I'd suggest. My MIL has gazillions of little statues and thingies and whatsits all over the place. One year for Christmas, DH and I found a nice curio cabinet on sale.

Shelves maybe?

Go to Ikea. It's a great excuse to go to Ikea. Love that place...

Immunegirl said...

I'd go with Syren's suggestion...some sort of home spa kit would give you the same idea as a spa but not me as much. There are lots of lotions and such that you can find. I have one of those foot baths like the ones they have at pedicure places and I use it all the time.

Zombs said...

Black velvet Elvis wall hanging.

'Nuff said.

Anonymous said...

I like Syren's suggestion also. Or can you get her a gift certificate that's not one of those particular packages. Maybe 2 services, like a facial and manicure?

Oh and have fun.

~Nutz said...

So? did you get your answers questioned?

~Nutz said...

Ummm... *snort* I mean your questions answered.