Reading Zombie's post about her happy childhood memory made me reflect on some of mine, and I thought it would be fun to share them, and hear yours. I chose the scariest, happiest and most embarrassing, but feel free to choose only one, or even a different category altogether.
Scariest~
This was hard to choose, since children get scared so easily, so I'll share two.
One was simply when myself and some cousins went into the bathroom, shut off the lights and did the "Bloody Mary" thing in the mirror. Ever heard of this? You chant something, turn around a couple times and supposedly something happens. Well, we did it, and something happened. I have to admit though, as much as I believed what I saw at the time, I'm less sure now that it really happened. We did the chant and then stood there, in the complete darkness staring in the direction of the mirror. After maybe 3 seconds, all of our eyes turned red, glowing in the mirror. I know it wasn't just my perception, since we all screamed at the exact same time, and all believed we saw the same thing. Freaky.
The other time was when I was walking in Benecia (Bay area) with my older male cousin and a younger female cousin, and a car sped past us on the residential street. My older idiot male cousin yelled out "slow down", and the car slowed down, and then turned around coming back towards us. We took off running and ended up in a huge field behind the housing development. The two young guys in the car were chasing us, and yelling that they would kill my cousin (the idiot) and rape my younger cousin and I. I was about 14 years old. We hid in some bushes, then ended up hopping fences, trying to get home without being seen. The guys used some graphic language, describing how they'd cut my cousin and what they'd do to me.
In retrospect, I think they were just trying to scare us, though they really did have to go through some trouble to get into the field with us (they had to drive to the other side of the development and find a hole in the fence, in order to cut us off on the other side).
Anyways, those two stand out as being my scariest childhood moments. I'll share the most embarrassing and happiest moments in the next day or two.
Saturday, April 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




12 comments:
Never did the Bloody Mary thing. I don't know the chant.
Those guys who chased you across the field were right pricks. That actually makes me mad.
Scariest childhood memories:
1. When I was about 10, I went down a slide at someone's pool and wound up underneath a blow-up raft where a bunch of older people were roughhousing. I couldn't reach the surface. I can still see up at the underside of the raft and all the people's feet kicking and I couldn't get up where the air was. I still don't really know if I made it up myself or if someone pulled me.
2. When I was maybe 11, one of my friends had a birthday party sleepover. My friends were all a couple years older than I was, but even still. Anyway, her parents had rented a couple movies for the party. A couple horror movies. I watched the first little bit of Creep Show. (I know it's supposed to be a comedy, but I still think it was a very poor choice given that we all went to Christian school, church on Sundays and prayer meetings on Wednesdays.) After that, I spent the rest of the night with my fingers in my ears humming my song that I used to hum when I got scared, hidden inside my sleeping bag. I had nightmares for years.
When the school found out, the girl nearly got expelled. I felt badly for her, but I'm still pretty mad at her parents for not exercising a bit of common sense.
MM, that second story is indeed terrifying. I'm sure many girls that age have been threatened with rape, and I think it is a very serious criminal act to threaten someone like that.
The first one reminds me of the "seances" we used to have when I was a kid. They were spooky and weird things happened
MTW, did you do the "light as a feather, stiff as a board"? and mess with the Ouji board?
We once had a seance in a cemetery on Halloween. I think I was a junior in high school. the things we did. sheesh.
Ack! The thought of being stuck underwater is horrifying Seana! The scary movie reminds me of when I was forced to watch Arachnophobia. *shudder*
Yes, MTW, it was serious of them to threaten us like that. We were too scared to tell our parents what happened though because we had broken the rules by going too far away from the house.
Carey, that's just nuts! You were basically just *asking* for zombies to come out and get you.
I was never brave enough to do the bloody mary thing or the candyman thing in the mirror.
The second though, while I've never had someone threaten to kill me, I've yelled at drivers and had them slow down or follow me and stuff. Usually I was so mad by that point I was ready for them to get out of the car so I could whup their ass...that is until the whole road rage with guns became popular, then I just started letting everyone go on the merry little way.
I remember Bloody Mary! "Supernatural" stuff doesn't usually scar me. I would have loved to see everyine's eyes turn red.
But the guys chasing you and threatening rape? Too scarey. My dad always told me that to assume that if some stranger was willing to rape you he was just as likely willing to kill you, so fight for your life.
Carey? We did 'Light as a Feather, Heavy as Lead." It was kind of cool how it always worked out even though one or two people usually giggled too much to actually be 'under the influence' or whatever.
Oh horrors, you've made me remember something that I'd forgotten.
My friend and I were down at the stadium. The stadius was by the river. We were just picking violets and hanging out. Two guys forced us into the bathroom and threatened to rape us. I was so young that I didn't know what it meant. My friend told them that her father would find them and kill them. I remember her arguing with them and me just standing there confused and frightened. They let us go after a while Oh my gosh. **shakes head**
My scariest moment?
I was about 10 years old, playing in the woods somewhere on the Niagara Escarpment (which is the same ridge that Niagara Falls falls over, about 25 miles south of where I was.) Anyway, I was walking across a log that was laying over a little ravine maybe 8 ft deep. I slipped and took a header. It had happened before and 8 feet is not very far to fall.
However, this time I went head first and on the way down another log, laying at an angle, caught the point of my chin, jerked my head and ripped my lower lip area away from the bone!
I thought I had ripped my face off. There was so much blood! I couldn't feel anything below my nose, couldn't feel my lips at all, and blood kept flowing out of my mouth. I looked at the faces of the two kids I was with and saw just absolute horror in their expressions. I thought my face was ripped off.
So I took off running for home, maybe 1/2 a mile away, bleeding like a faucet. I ran in the front door (violating the house rule of "no bleeding in the living room", lol) and my mom grabbed me, wrapped a towel around my face and checked me out. Mom was always a rock in any crisis.
She decided to take me to the dentist since I had knocked a few teeth loose and all the ripping was inside my mouth - my face was not ripped off, lol. It just felt that way.
The dentist looked into my mouth and said "Whoa! Another 1/8th of an inch and you would have had a big hole in the bottom of your chin!"
I didn't get stitches or anything. I was just supposed to be very careful, rinse gently with salt water every hour, and not eat solid foods for a few days until it started to heal. Dentist said mouth wounds heal fast & it's best to just let them alone.
The cool thing was, after it had all healed and stuff, I could stick my tongue way down to the point of my chin! And I could pull my lower lip way, way down and touch it to my neck under my chin! Such a cool trick to do at Summer Camp.
I was always scared as a kid. The Three Mile Island incident terrified me. It took place in Pennsylvania and my older sister told me that radiation was invisible and nothing could stop it. The wind would blow it our way.
I also was terrified of Son of Sam. When he was loose I would hear the news reports all the time. He was going after young women with long hair. Both my sisters had long hair then. I would lie awake at night thinking he was outside my window.
I would get scared and try to sleep in my sister's bed with her. She must have gotten tired of it because she told me my goldfish died and he was in the bed. She then threw a Chheto at me. Well in the dark I thought is was poor Crackerjack and I swatted and heard a crunch.
She alos used to tell me the Russians were coming and they were in Rhode Island, soon they would be there.
We lived in the boonies and had an outhouse. Using the outhouse after dark was really quite scarey. In kindergarten or grade 1, we went to a musuem where they had a bunch of Native stuff and one of the models was an old lady with a basket on her back. She would collect children after dark and take them away in her basket.
But really, even without the old lady, I did not like the walk to the outhouse in the dark.
My cousins & I did the Bloody Mary thing...nothing ever happened.
I don't remember any particularly scary thing. I do remember being home alone as a kid & we lived way out in the country. I had hiding spaces/plans for every situation. I was always terrified a person would knock on the door at night, saying their car broke down & they needed to use the phone. That did happen a few times during the day, but luckily someone else was home with me.
We had a lot of doors/entrances to our house. I was always afraid to check the locks downstairs after mom & dad left. I was pretty paranoid. Now, being home alone doesn't bother me at all.
Slim, road rage scares me to death. I just assume everyone has a gun and is willing to use it.
Swami, that's pretty much what my parents told me, too. It's probably true.
Also, I admire your mother for handling that injury so well. Sounds horrible!
Lasann, thank goodness you didn't get hurt that day. Very close call, there!
Zombie, I'm sorry but I just have LOL @ the goldfish/cheeto thing. I bet we'd lvoe your sister here as much as we lvoe you!
Outhouses after dark are scary no matter, Bob. *picturing snakes and spiders*
LOL Weltek! You sound like me. I was completely prepared for that kind of stuff too. I was always confused about whether to be glad nothing ever happened, or bummed that I never got to show off my clever plans! LOL!
Post a Comment