After asking about what everyone's dream jobs would be, it made me wonder about the opposite. Is there one job you could just not do? Something you couldn't or wouldn't do, almost regardless of the pay?
I'm not thinking Fear Factor kind of jobs either (obviously I wouldn't be Spider Whisperer or anything) but real, somewhat normal jobs, that you don't think you're cut out for? I am not sure I could be a waitress. Rude people freak me out, and I assume you come across many of them in such a diverse setting (as a restaurant).
I also could never be a teacher, though when I was younger, that's exactly what I thought I wanted to be. After volunteering for several years at my kids school, I saw firsthand how difficult it was, and I gained a lot of respect for anyone in that field.
Anything to do in the medical field would be too hard for me too. Just grosses me out too much. Same with Senior Nursing. Admirable field, but not for me.
Oh, one more I could never do, Child Protective Services. I think my heart wouldn't be able to take the sadness.
Lastly, even though it's safe to assume I don't have the brain for some of the aforementioned careers, one more job I literally could not do would be that of a CPA. I understand most of them are pretty smart and good with numbers. Some might even say they are total math geeks! *smooches* to any CPA's that might be out there lurking. ;-)
So, what could you not do?
Friday, April 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




25 comments:
I couldn't do anything medically related. The sight of blood and gore makes me want to faint.
I noticed you didn't put porn star on your list of can't do's. Come join me HD, Syren and Carey over here on the couch. Boom Chicka Bow Wow *grin*
I was a server for several years, and it was one of the jobs I actually loved. Well until I moved back here and the tips decreased by about half.
I could not be a nurse, no way could I stick a needle in someone. Nor could I be a garbage colector. OR any other job that has a nasty smell.
I always wanted to be a waitress. In fact, if I had got a decent waitressing job, I may have never gone to university.
I would hate to do sales or marketing. HATE. I would rather chew off my foot.
I couldn't be a server because there are so many rude people to deal with and I hate to stand. When I was younger I wanted to be a social worker but now realize that I'm way to soft. Unlike MM, I like accounting and/or math related jobs and programming. I like things to make sense and be logical and math is a definate. It's the uncontrolable jobs that would make me crazy, like sales.
I would hate any job that involved extended personal contact and I hate being closely supervised, so that takes out so many jobs - waitress, sales, teaching, law enforcement, porn star. Blood doesn't bother me at all and I would have no problem sticking people or cutting them up--but as I mentioned somewhere else I have no sympathy for sick people. So I could be a pathologist I guess and do autopsies.
When I worked in the lab I had my own little fiefdom and I loved that! I loved my part-time newspaper job because I worked from my home computer and I wrote a gardening column so I rarely had to interview people. I liked my WestLaw editing job until it devolved into mostly entering.
My current job involves a lot of book keeping, which I dislike, but I can do it from my home computer which I love.
Nurse for Rulz.
Just imagine the sponge baths...
Heh, you just called Breezy a math geek. I'm telling. *giggle*
I could not be a plumber. I don't mind my ass crack hanging out but the thought of poop all day. Ick.
I couldn't work any job that involved teenagers. I don't have the patience for them.
I couldn't be an exterminator either. Or any job that involved crawling into dark spaces where bugs may reside.
I couldn't be an exterminator either. But it's not because of the dark spaces. it's because I wouldn't want to kill anything. Unless it's human. Do they have human exterminators? I could do that. I'm kidding, I couldn't do that. I don't think. maybe I could. nah. well...
I used to think being an ultrasound technician would be cool. You get to see all the babies and stuff but then I thought of the down side. How terrible to see the ones that don't make it.
I think that would break my heart.
I don't hink I would liek to be a seaman.
Reading others' responses gave me my answer:
Medical profession, sales, close personal contact with people, close supervision, exterminator.
I couldn't work with abuse childern. Although I feel sorry for them, I would totally go off the deep end and kill the people that did that to them and I would be locked in. I would also want to take all of them in under my roof and I wouldn't be able to afford them.
Have a good weekend.
Gee, Carey, I would've thought that you would like to work with poopy all day. You could just sit around and giggle all the time. (You laughed when I said poopy, didn't you? Point proven. :P)
I really enjoyed waitressing when I was in university. I'm not sure I could do it now. I wonder if I'd be half as polite to kids trying to get served underage. *snort* I'd like to see them try.
What could I *not* do?
Technical translation: It's really really boring. Maybe the literary stuff would be OK, where the words and ideas are a bit more interesting.
Sweatshop seamstress: treat me poorly at your peril.
Welfare case worker: I can see me doing this job if I had to deal with someone like my sister. "OK, so you dropped out of school and your parents kept harrassing you to get a job. You wouldn't get a job and finally couldn't take it anymore and left the house. You shoplift. The reason you don't have any skills is because you steadfastly refuse to get any, but you feel that you should be given a high-paying job that you never have to go to or do anything at when you get there. Uh-huh."
I never got around to answering your other question because I couldn't think of what I'd really want to do. Thinking about it now, I realize that whenever I go to a hospital, I'm just fascinated by the whole place. So, I'd like to work in a hospital. Not a nurse or doctor but some administration work.
I couldn't do most of the jobs you've listed here.
However, the one job I just KNOW I could never do would be outdoor manual labor. I just could not handle the physical aspect of the job. And the heat.
Hmmm, I couldn't do anything involved with science.
I suck at sales and hate it. Even when I owned my own retail sporting goods shop, I felt guilty selling stuff to people, knowing they could get the same crap we were selling elsewhere for cheaper, or knowing they couldn't possibly notice the difference between our high end crap and the cheap discount crap they could get elsewhere.
I couldn't be a nurse, for the same reason as Syren. I couldn't be a teacher, because I have a tendency to just do whatever it is for someone if they don't understand what to do.
Oh, and I couldn't be a stripper, pornt star or prostitute, because, well, no one would pay to see that.
Arkie...I would pay. Yes I would.
*money flying*
Arkie: Believe me, there are many people who would pay. Many, many people.
Syren is my favorite. *smooch*
HD, where are these people?
Dream Job: Professional Hitman
Anti-dream Job: Sales. I've done it. I'm good at it. I still hate it.
*pulls out wallet* what was that question again Arkie *grin*
I absolutely could not clean up anyone's shit other than a baby or my pets. Even my pets kinda grosses me out - but anyone else? Oh gawd! And a plumber? Hell no - how awful would it be to pull tampons and pads out of someone's pipes. LOL!
I loved waitressing and would probably still do it if I didn't have kids. I'd love to work in a hospital, like Nookie, and when I go back to school, it will probably have something to do with Social Work.
What I cannot do: My husband's job. I could not work on an ambulance or in an ER. The trauma would be more than I could handle.
No counting.
I also would never never never be an air hostess. The probability of having to take away a used airsick bag is just too real and too terrifying for me.
Post a Comment