Sunday, June 12, 2005

Dinner with the family

I've never thought of my family as dysfunctional. Maybe it's time that I do. We decided to go to my parents house to barbecue some ribs that my MIL brought from 'Famous Daves', and the whole family was invited. Our relationship with SIL is strained because she recently decided my brother wasn't giving her enough attention. Normally I would think maybe there's some truth to that kind of thing but if you knew her, and him, you would know it's complete bull. She has always been a high maintenance girl, only shopped at Nordstrom, too good for the regular restaraunts we go to, that kind of thing. Anyhow, so she was there and we were dealing pretty well, being all friendly. Great. Then, my asshole younger brother shows up and I don't know why but one comment he made pissed me off so bad I was ready to go. Or, go off on him. I went outside, cooled off.
Eventually, I felt ready to be around him again so I rejoined the family only to have my son come up and tell me that my 5 year old niece said Holy Shit. So I wait a while, then tell my brother(older bro) that I think she said it. He gets all defensive, says no way. Not possible. I say ok, fine, you know your kids better than I do. But inside I'm thinking, dude, you swear like a sailor in front of your kids why wouldn't they pick it up? Then SIL gets all quiet and I knew she was mad at me for telling her. I just assumed since I would have wanted to know, maybe they would too. Oops, my bad.
SIL never quite got over it, brother insisted it was fine. Later, he confides to me that his DD did say it, she admitted it to him. Anyways, there is more dysfunction, or maybe it's just imperfection? Whichever it is, it had gotten harder and harder for me to want to be around them. My mom is turning into her mother, which wouldn't be so bad if I weren't just like my father, and we have little tolerance for obsessive behaviors. (except of course when we are doing it. lol) I guess I need to work on letting things go more, not caring if they offend me or if I did something they don't like. It's just too much effort to stress about all the time.
That's it for today...keep in mind my spell check doesn't work because I have a pop up blocker that screws it up.

4 comments:

Chrissy (woe) said...

Heck, in my family we put the "fun" in dys-fun-ctional ;-) although sometimes Trav puts the "dys" in it. Sorry it wasn't more fun for you, I know big family gatherings are stressful even when everybody loves each other. We have just agreed never to talk about three things: politics, religion and how to raise kids, for the sake of all our sanity, because we are never all going to agree. Strrange in one family, no?

I enjoy reading your blog and am glad you are frequenting it to vent and show pics (I'll help with those in the next post).

I think you did the right thing by telling, I would have. Don't worry so much, if the mama can't handle the truth it's HER problem.

*smooch* Chris

mm said...

I love my family very much. We are probably too close really. People who know us are always surprised when we do as much as we do together. I guess it makes sense that there would be some problems. Anytime you spend THAT much time together it's bound to happen.
I may be overprotective of my kids but I don't let people swear around them. So I am glad I told my brother what his DD said, she is too young to be talking that way.(IMO) *smooch*
p.s. my username here is po pueo, know what it means?

Chrissy (woe) said...

Po pueo is night owl (or more specifically, po-night, darkeness, realm of the gods/ pueo-Hawaiian short eared owl!) and once again I am tickled you chose a Hawaiian username :D

I didn't mean to imply that your family WAS dysfunctional, only that even in the best of families, stuff happens, we're human after all. And everyone has off days.

*smooch* Chris

mm said...

you didn't imply anything, don't worry. I will get some pics of my other cat too and I could do an etire post about him. Maybe I will...

Yes, night owl was the name I chose.