Thursday, June 16, 2005

Minor rant

This will probably make me seem petty but here it is. Dad calls tonight and is talking to DH on the phone about doing something at 7:30, so I assume dinner, since we do that fairly often with them. So DH hangs up and says, "do you mind if I go to see Batman Begins with your dad tonight?" I was bummed that it was not a family invite to dinner but of course I told DH to go and I figured I would play in the bar and have some relaxing evening time without DH.

So, about 10 min. later my mom calls me and says, "has your brother called you about watching nephew yet?" I said no, and was somewhat relieved that he hadn't called, since I had just spent time with my nephew this afternoon and really didn't feel like watching him. I wanted to relax without DH home and I knew my kids would be occupied watching a movie or whatever in the other room. So mom starts getting all worried saying, "oh no, I bet he's planning on taking him since he didn't want to call and ask you" I say, "fine, let him. I'm not going to call him and ask, if he needs me, he should have called" at which point mom says ok and we hang up. 1 minute later my brother calls and asks me. So I say fine and at that point was really fuming. I don't know why.

I guess I was so disappointed that I had to do it. Also, the fact that my mom was going to the movie too pissed me off because I had thought it was going to be just the boys. So while my parents take my brother and husband to the movies, I'm stuck at home babysitting. WTF? I don't swear. Really I don't. But then, my mom calls me back right after my brother and says she needs me to go pick nephew up at the theatre because they don't have time to bring him to me. Are you freakin kidding me? She knew I was already pissed about doing it! Then she adds to it. So I say fine. Again. Then I hang up the phone and I say Fuck! Which I never say remember? Of course it was more of a whisper but still.

At this point dinner was out the window and DH decides to get Subway since we are all in a hurry. By the time he gets back I have to leave to be there to get my nephew. DH is taking his car and says he is going to eat real fast and then go. So I leave our food on the table and head out. I get there right before the movie should be starting and don't see them anywhere. The funny thing here, not to go backwards but I'd like to add that I had been listening to some really good, happy music on the way and listening to my kids sing had lifted my mood. I was going to impress everyone with my much happier outlook when I saw them . So where the hell were they? I drive around the parking lot, (did I mention it was pouring?) and eventually call their cell phones. All three of them. No answer. Call again, mom picks up, me: where are you? mom: we are picking up DB and DN right now. me: but I am here at the theatre, I left our dinner on the table. mom: I'm sorry we were stuck in traffic. me: so you're not even going to make the 7:30 show? mom: I guess not. What that means to me is A) they should have called to tell me not to break my back to get there on time and B) they could have dropped DN off at my house since they were no longer in a hurry. I went from forcing myself to feel ok with it, right back to being bitterly angry. By the time they arrive, I pull up next to them and DB brings nephew over to my car and I smile and act totally fine because I'm really angry at my mom more than my brother. They will be coming here afterwards to pick nephew up and I'm not sure I will want to see them. Am I being stupid here? I know I overreacted. I feel so much better about watching him now, I am just pissed because I know my parents are thinking that I'm a spazz. Maybe I am. I can live with that. Now I am going to find some Goldschlager(sp) and drink myself silly.

Edited to add, I just had to run next door to get my super cute neighbor to open the bottle, I couldn't do it for the life of me. Do you think he thinks I am a lush?

5 comments:

Chrissy (woe) said...

Damn, and I thought I had a crappy/anger day. I am too tired to even do my own blog but I wasnt to offer some support and say you are too nice. I woulda said no, I have other plans. I mean, they take everybody but you? WTF is up with that? And then don't bother to call and say they are in traffic so don't go on time? I feel for ya girl. And I am crabby, sorry. *smooches* Chris

Chrissy (woe) said...

WANTED to offer support even. :D Don't know where I got "wasnt to offer...."

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

Wow, I agree that totally sucks and I love kids too but for them to invite everyone but you and just assume you'd be ok watching the little ones. That's just too much. I hope you got silly drunk.

{{ Hugs }}
Steve *cstl*

mm said...

Thanks guys, it helps knowing I was not completely out of line in feeling so angry.

Claude? Nice to meet you!

Chis, blog about your day! Sorry it was so bad!

Steve, I don't know if "silly" drunk is the term I would use but I did get wasted. :)

Chrissy (woe) said...

Okay babe, I did :D I was just too drained last night to do it, sorry. *hugs* Chris