Saturday, June 18, 2005

Home Alone

Yay! DH took the kids to a ball game and I have the house to myself! I am going to watch TV and do nothing. (I have tons of stuff TiVo'ed that I need to watch)

My grandmother is in town and I am probably going to have her over tomorrow. She is a draining person to be around. You know the type, very sweet one moment and then bitter and judgemental the next. She likes to hint at things rather than come out and say it or ask it. Like, "I would have wanted to stay at your mum and dads but they are too busy for me". Or "I never hear from your brother, he must be angry at me for something, altho what *I* could have possibly done escapes me". Very sarcastic, needy and pessimistic. She adores me, because I email her regularly and always make time for her when she comes. She is my grandmother after all. But it is draining. Listening to negativity all the time under the guise of being so very pleased with herself. Everywhere she goes "everyone just loves her and her canadian sense of humor" and yet she moves a lot and says she never liked the people there. *shrug* Whatever. She's had a hard life, mom left her as an infant and then died shortly after, bad husbands, she's been married about 8 times and who knows if any of her 7 children are actually fully related.
Ick, now I sound mean. I feel for her, I do. She has been kind to me and who knows how long she will be around, so I will continue to love her, despite herself.

Now, off to watch me some GH! **smooches**

2 comments:

Chrissy (woe) said...

I'm glad you got some private time and can catch up on your shows.

I think it is admirable that you stay close to her even though she hasn't learned how to properly communicate. Have you tried asking in a way such as "gran I really love you but I would like you to say what you are really thinking" OR repeat and say "gran, just so I am clear, what I am hearing you say is.......(whatever it is)... am I understanding correctly? Sometimes people learn to communicate better when they hear back what they have said and how it sounds. Just thinking and rambling is all, sorry.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow too. *smooch* Chris

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

*smooches*, I'm glad you got a day to yourself. "GH" is still General Hospital right? That's how long it's been since I've watched soap operas per se. Sorry to hear about granny. I know it can be frustrating to deal with someone who expects the world to revolve around them, even when it's family. I've had a few of those myself and sometimes I've had to dial back the time or attention I've given them because it's too much of a drain on my sanity. Granny however is family so give her as much love as you can while she's here.

Steve