Since I've been working for the last 6 months, my name has become something I use on a daily basis. It's really made me *think* about whether I like my name. The thing is, I never have. I always wished my parents had gone with Rachael (my dad's choice) or something else. Something more "normal" or cutesy. I just don't like Tabitha. Anyways, not surprisingly, I get a lot of comments on my "unusual/unique/different" name. I still don't *like* it, but I'm beginning to hate it a little less.
A lot of people still associate my name with the show Bewitched. *points to title* I get asked if I can wiggle my nose sometimes. I also used to have people call me Samantha because they would mix up the characters. Annoying.
Now I'm wondering how common this is. Do you like your name? What do you wish your name was if you could have chosen it? Do people ever accidentally call you something else?
I like old names like Sarah and Laura. I would love a sexy name like Candy, too, lol. When I was a teenager I sometimes went by Roxanne. I'm a dork. *grin*
So spill it. Give me two names you might have liked to have had.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




20 comments:
I always liked my name. However, it does not go well with my current last name.
I like the names Cherilyn and Julie.
MM, have you seen the recent Avon catalog? The cover shows M&M watches...green ones, too!
I have the most freaking common name for my age group. Ugh. And I don't like when people call me Jen. I have two 'friends' (read: bitches) that love to call me "Jen *pause* nifer". They think they're being clever. *rolleyes*
I too like old names. I LOVE the name Sarah and would have named a daughter that.
I have no idea what I would have rather been named.
And Tab, I think your name is great! It's got a bit of mysteriousness to it. :)
I see you more as a Roxanne than as a Tabitha.
I'm okay with my name. There are days I like it, days I don't.
I have people mispell it more often than mispronounce it.
I always thought that one day I would go by my middle name, Elizabeth. Or Beth. Or Liz. But I never did. During the Alonzo/Laura love affair on Little House, I grew fond of "Beth."
One time I went by the name Branden Carter. I didn't work for McDonald's at the time, and I played the Monopoly game. I won some small prize like gift certificates, and I gave the girl the phony name because her boyfriend used to work with me at another store. She didn't know me, and I got away with it. It was funny.
Two names I would choose:
Mallory
Natalie
*waves to tkit*
My name doesn't really bother me. It's a common name that a ton of other people have, but it's alright. No one really calls me Jennifer, and I don't respond to anyone who calls me Jenny. Ugh. I hate being called Jenny! I'm fine with Jen, though I really don't like my last name. I've thought about changing my last name, but not seriously. If I did change it, I would probably use my mom's maiden name-- Miller. Something nice and easy. :)
When I was a kid, I always wanted to be named Ashley. But now I know I am sooo not an Ashley. Heh.
My dad wanted to name me Samantha, which I like as a name, but not for me with the last name that I have. And I would not like to be called Sam.
I like your name, Tab! It just occurred to me that I don't think I know what Puffy's real name is. Odd that we can know people for years and not even know their name. LOL.
Jen, think of me as Boo's alter ego. My first name is Beth.
Ahh. Yeah, that sounds vaguely familiar now. Must've been something I knew a while ago, but it got lost in the depths of my sucky memory. :)
I don't know that I had name envy as a child.
As a teen, I always liked Abagail and Kat.
I don't like either my first or my middle name. I also don't like people I have met who share my name, or the very few "famous" people who have my name. It's a lame name.
When I was a kid I briefly campaigned for my folks to change my name to Mariah. I love that name! I was also quite fond of Lydia then, but now not so much; still better than my real name though.
Swami, I love your real name! It is old fashioned yet sounds so fresh now.
Me? Yeah I used to hate my real name. I go by the shortened name, Mary even though it really is MaryAnn. Only people from certain places call me it. College is one place and some jobs. It's cause it is listed as my name and the first time they hear it sticks. Personally I like MaryAnn better but feel like an imposter when I hear it because most close friends and family call me Mary or Mare.
So in a nutshell...I find it plain but it is a solid name.
I would have loved being called Claire, Katherine(Katie) almost anythign Irish.
Oh little bit of trivia about me and being named. I was originally going to be Rosemary but Rosemary's Baby had recently come out so my mother did not like that. So she wanted to name me MaryJane after my 2 older sisters' middle names. My oldest sister vetoed it because at the time MaryJane was heavily used in referenced to weed. So she used Ann(form of Nancy, my sister's first name.)
This now ends the Mary Show.
I"ll have you know I really like to be called Zombs. I would love to suggest it in real life but I think people might look at me more strangely.
*sings*
I went to school with 27 Jennifers!
Also a ton of Michelles.
Growing up, I hated my name. I'm still not fond of it, but after seeing what celebs name *their* children, I know it's not the worst name a person could have.
I never felt like my name lent itself to a cute nickname, and I couldn't go by my middle name. It's Jo, and my dad and oldest brother are both Joe, so that would be too strange if I tried to use it.
My mom wanted to name me Lisa Renee. I'm so not a Lisa, but then, who knows? Maybe I would have grew into a Lisa if that had been my name.
I would have liked to have been named Rachel.
I like my name, but get called Dwayne way to often when people read it. Or Tonya or Sonya. It's a D people. Dawn -ya
I was almost a Candice but my grandmother said Candy Jones sounded like a stripper's name. So then I was Johna Louise after my grandfather and grandmother. But mom was watching The Pit and the Pendulum when she went into labor and there was a Dona Medina (Mrs Medina in Spanish) so I am Dawnya Madina. She used up all her creativity right there - my brother and sister - Tracy and Kelley.
Alot of cousins call me Deeni because they couldn't pronounce my name when we were young.
I like my name but recently found an ancestor's name Elena Isobel. I like that. If I had another kid I would probably name her Izabella.
I like my name just fine....Stephanie Louise. I'm named after my dad (Steve) and his mom (Margaret Louise) and I think it works for me. When I was growing up and people would call me something else, it was ALWAYS Jennifer. I found that odd.
I also go by Stevie these days.
My mom used to put me to bed and said, "Goodnight my sweet Stephanie Loiuse ....every little breeze seems to whisper Louise!" *smile*
If I were born a boy, my name would've been Hunter Briggs.
My maiden name is West and all throughout school, I would get "Stephanie North, South, East, West" Dumbasses!! I'm thinking of going back to my maiden name, but really want to honor my stepdad, but that name lends itself to jokes, too....Peeler! Right now, I HATE my last name. The ex can have it (Marcum) back, but 'cause the kids, I'm waffling on when to change it. Any ideas?
As a kid, I loved Samantha cause I wanted to be called Sam. I also loved Jesse, which I named my first born (Jessemyn) so I used it somehow.
Names I like now: (not necessarily for me) Olivia, Madeline, Emma, Isabelle, Claire, Cadance, Madison/Addison, Mackenzie, Ella, and Bailey. Nope, GF and I haven't been thinking of having a baby!!! We have tons of names picked out just in case!!
I got a good one.
I like my first name. I do not know that any other one would "work" for me.
It is quite amazing how popular it has become. In 1984, the year of my inauspicious birth, it was somewhere around #100 or so. Now? #20-something. Julia is a hot name. But then, so is Brooklyn.
(I always liked the name June for ladies, but I don't know - it might be too old-fashioned now.)
Oh good lord, Julia is the same age as my younger daughter.
I know Swami - she's just two years older than my kid. *sigh
My name is fine. A normal name but not the most common. I do like that it is spelled differently than the most common spellings of my name.
I like my name okay, however, my parents almost named me Sean. I like that name much better.
Post a Comment