Happy Monday! My weekend was good. I went to see a band play on Saturday night in what I can only describe as a teeny-bopper hang out kinda place. It was for all ages, though it did have a bar area. I had to wear a wrist band so they could easily see that I was over 21. It was completely out of my comfort zone but I did it for my brother, who bought me the tickets and really wanted me to see this particular band (called Rebelution). They had a reggae/dub sound and were actually very good.
(links are to youtube)
Here is a link to one of their songs
And another
Now, I have to admit, walking into this club was very difficult for me. I'm just not into that scene. If I'd have had an ativan on me, I'd have taken it. I was thinking, I wish I was one of those people who just don't *care* what other people think and could just walk in there and have fun. I sat in the car for a while with my friend Ashley just watching all these young people going in. All the pretty girls, all glammed up. I felt too old and frumpy to go in.
How many of you are like that? Do you ever feel self-conscious and if so, what situations bring it out of you the most? Does any particular kind of crowd intimidate you? I'm easily intimidated by lots of people, even kids. I think I was afraid that people would see me walking in and think, "what's SHE doing here...she doesn't fit....". So, is it just me or do any of you experience these same kinds of thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




11 comments:
It's not just you. Last weekend when Mike and Bre was in we went to a couple of bars. My favorite had a mixture of ages, but we walked across the street to a pretty much all college club at one point. I totally felt out of my element and a little self-conscious as the only one older than I was the owner. And it made me kind of nostalgic for my college days :( not that I want to be that age again, but to think I'll never have a butt like that again! :)
I think it's good to get out of our comfort zones sometimes. Makes us appreciate the easiness of our own surroundings.
I have a similar admission to make. A friend and I were going to make dinner plans last Wednesday night. He suggested two restaurants in town and I told him I'd look online at their menus and let him know which I preferred.
One of the two menus intimidated me. It had First Course, Second Course, and Main Course sections. I later figured out this meant Appetizers, Salads, and Entrees, but I would have felt like I didn't belong there with their snooty courses. Also, what if I only wanted a Main Course? Could I get there without going through the First and Second courses? Blech!
We ended up going to a local bar and eating half price appetizers while watching a baseball game. Waaaay better.
Regarding this statement: I think I was afraid that people would see me walking in and think, "what's SHE doing here...she doesn't fit....".
I was actually going to either blog about this, or start a thread on OT. I was checking citysearch for some places to go this week (we're taking my boss and her DH out since next Friday is their last day here). I run across a review of a club that's close to the office. The person was ripping the club because too many old people go there. Apparently, according to the reviewer, after you turn 35, you're not supposed to go out to clubs. And women over 50 should *NOT* dance in public.
I feel this way at different times. I had not had real physical confidence in years.
My charm and personality I rarely doubt. But physical attributes, I do.
I think I met my mission of losing three pounds in June. I will weigh myself in the morning. I would like to lose another three in the next three weeks before I go to my staff meeting. Especially since I know little miss "I don't know anyone who can eat as much chocolate as I do and be a size 4" will be wearing something very summerly sexy. My goal is to wear my Ann Taylor tank, which will really showcase the shoulders I have worked hard on for the past three months.
I agree with you Tummy about getting out of our comfort zones being good for us. I know it was for me. I learned I can survive, that noone actually does stop and stare and point at me, and that *gasp* it was actually kinda fun! Not something I'm anxious to do again, but a good experience over-all.
MTW, I would have felt the same exact way. I hate stuffy-ish restaurants! But I don't really do bars, either.
Arkie, you should start your own thread about this! I'd love to see other people's feeling on this expressed. Maybe most people feel this way but they just hide it? Perhaps the exception is the person who never thinks twice about how they are perceived...interesting concept!
Boo, you make me think of another thing; the fact that I look at those woman (like you describe) and have negative feelings toward them. My friend Ash said more than once that she wanted to leave the club to get away from "all the skinny bitches" or something like that. She's only 20 though and I think it's harder for her to be surrounded by "hot" girls. I didn't hate any of the girls, I just felt inadequate in comparison and somewhat jealous, I guess.
You do have nice shoulders! I envy them and your pretty skin. Show them off regardless of the three pounds!!
Has anyone checked out the music, btw?
OMG, the same thing happened to me when we were in Walnut Creek/Concord. We went to see my nephew's band in a teeny bopper place. The guys were all moshing or mosh dancing. I had never seen it before! The girls were all a size 0. All the adults (parents of band members) wore earplugs.
I always feel "unhip" at those scenes, but I don't let it get to me too much. I usually end up telling some girls how cute they are dressed, or such, then I'm all good with the crowd. :-)
I never feel as if I fit in. No matter where I am. So I guess I am used to it. I just cling on to whomever I am with and try my best to fit into the background scene.
Until I have booze in me. *snort*
That's bravie, the little wallflower. *snort*
*smooch*
Did you honk at me today?
Did I mention somewhere that I sometimes feel like this at Bunco? With half of the women "not working," I always feel less dolled up than they do. When I host, I'm gonna take a half day off to doll myself up.
Post a Comment