I am trying really hard to keep a positive attitude and continue liking my job. Some days are good, others are just awful. Kelly is just not easy for me to like. She likes/needs to exert her "authority" over me on a regular basis. I'm getting a little bolder in realizing that she is *not* my boss and sometimes, I don't have to defer to her preferences. Example; when I started working, my boss never said what time I needed to take my lunch. He left it up to me. I asked Kelly about it and she said she takes hers at 1pm, so I should before then.
Usually, it's not a problem for me to be back by then. What bugs me though is that a) I'm there longer than her each day so sometimes it seems a little backwards to me since I get hungry late in the afternoon, as I'm eating so early, and b) sometimes I want to take an hour but it's really hard to leave right at noon. That's what happened on Tuesday. My brother was at the office and I wanted to eat with him and my father, so I needed to leave as close to noon as possible. Well, my boss came out and asked me to do a Proof of Service for him (which includes typing the document, copying it, and mailing it to the person being served). The phone was ringing non-stop and before I knew it, it was 12:30. I was beyond frustrated because Kelly was not answering the phone at all, even though she knew I was racing to get out the door. When I finally did leave, I all of a sudden decided to screw it, and take my effing hour anyways. I decided that for once, Kelly could wait. Russ (my boss) has never once told me I needed to be back by 1pm. So I did it; I took my hour and came waltzing in at 1:30. *grin* I acted all nonchalant and ignored any attitude she might have been giving me. It felt really good. I won't do that a lot, but it was kinda liberating. I had found out that same day that Kelly took it upon herself to tell my other boss (the wife, Jacquie) that I was intimidated by her. That really pissed me off, as it was not Kelly's place to divulge it and only made me feel more uncomfortable around Jacquie. *sigh*
The other thing I have been doing lately is *reading* the client files. OMG. Interesting stuff. I now realize that some of our clients are not very nice people at all. One guy is a playboy who is hiding assets from his wife; cut her off financially; refuses to see his kids if they stop by; and he forged his wife's signature on checks! Another woman tried to seduce her 14 yer old nephew and threatened to kill him if he told on her. There are allegations of every nature, in lots of graphic detail. It was also kinda neat to read the depositions where the attorneys start getting catty and sarcastic with each other, lol!
There are definitely some good things about working there, and of course there is the negative. I am just going to keep plugging along and hope that things change at some point, relieving me from working so closely with Kelly.
*whew* Thanks for letting me rant. I wish I could post a little every day instead of saving it to this extent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So, does anyone have a good site they can recommend for posting and sharing pictures? I was using Ringo (with family and local friends) but it is closing down. I'm pretty upset by it, as it was a great way to keep in touch with people that I don't normally talk to regularly. I was thinking of trying Flickr...does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Sounds like there might be a phone coverage issue (that maybe the boss didn't think about when he said to take lunch whenever)? In my experience, if that's the case, new girl doesn't really get a choice, but should always feel it's appropriate to ask someone to switch, or cover an overage if you anticipate it (like your brother/dad doing lunch). And others should be expected to be flexible if at all possible.
That being said, Kelly still sounds like a beyotch. It was really cheap of her to make that "intimidates me" comment to J.
Kim, it *is* about phone coverage, yes. The problem for me is that Kelly could have easily said, "hey don't stress about not being back *right* at 1", since she can easily take an hour anytime I'm back from mine. She has no timeframe to be back at, whereas I do every day.
There are some changes that will be taking place at work soon so I'm hoping I won't be working so closely with her in the near future. I wouldn't say she's a bitch (well ok, sometimes I would, lol)... she is just very self-centered. I'm not the only one affected though, so at least I'm in good company. Heh. I do like that I can complain about her here though and my friends will call her names! *childish grin*
Good for you, not letting her get the better of you and sticking up for your rights. I would hate to have to work with someone like that.
As for the picture, thing, I have no idea. I need a picture sharing site too. Let me know if you find a good one and I'll do the same for you.
*smooch*
Thanks, MTW. I was thinking of going with flickr...have you tried that one?
Sounds like a damn interesting job to me. Drama a'plenty. I'd be reading client files all day if I could.
Post a Comment