I decided on the spur of the moment to go to Cayucos for the weekend, where my parents were spending a few days with my aunt and uncle, who have access to a home there every year, for about a week. Cayucos is near Morro Bay, which is just north of San Luis Obispo. It was a four hour drive, easily. My brother decided to take his kids along, too. It was just us, since my DH had to work. We surprised my parents, which was fun. Here's some pics we got while there;

This is a picture of the 'Morro Bay Rock' (the biggest one in the back). I took it from the beach at the house. The smaller rock in the foreground provided hours of entertainment for the kids. When the tide was low, they found starfish, crabs, and all other kinds of tidepool life, there.

Here's the four of them, playing in the water. I? Was on the lawn with binoculars looking for (go ahead and guess.....) sharks! Amazing how much ocean ducks can look like shark fins. *grin*
One of the gorgeous sunsets. On this night, we had a seal swimming right along the shore.

Daytime shot in the opposite direction (away from Morro Bay). It was a quiet beach.
Ahhh, yes. Here is me, at my best. *rolls eyes* This was taken on the pier in Cayucos, where we met a shark fisherman. He caught several recently, one as big as 7 feet long!!! He said some out there were 10 feet. In the background, you can see the big rock that is near our beach, which means we were dangerously close to them!
This pic was taken from the yard, looking down at the beach. You can see how high up we were, and all the steps everyone has to go down, to get to the beach.
There is so much to share about this trip, including more pictures from Hearst Castle and the Madonna Inn, which I'll try to add later. We saw Elephant seals, dolphins and seals while there. The kids had a blast. I ended up staying two days longer than I had planned on, letting the kids miss school, even! *bad mom*






15 comments:
Please supply an address so I can surprise your parents with a visit too! I would love to stay in a walk-to-the-ocean house.
You have been gone forever! Stop doing that! *whack*
That place looks absolutely gorgeous. And so relaxing. Take me there, please. :)
You sure there weren't any crocs out there? *evil grin*
And??? You drove right past my house and didn't even stop by? Hrmph. Mean girl.
I have a good friend who moved to SLO and we need to get down there to visit her. We totally could have road tripped together. :)
Aw, thanks for sharing all the pictures! I actually feel a little more relaxed after seeing them and reading about your weekend.
Wow! I love that area. We went there last year to check out Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for DD, even though it was too later for her to apply there.
After seeing the area and the campus, she felt like she'd made a huge mistake by not applying there as I suggested.
So, are you wearing a backwards ball cap in the pic with DD? Does it say Cayucas, California? Just curious.
And I'm guessing nobody was attacked by Sand Sharks or you would have said something.
I would *love* to take you all back with me. I hope I get invited again next year. They said they would, but I'll tell you, it was a tight fit in that house. Those houses are tiny and all crammed together. The amazing thing? The smallest house on the street is worth 1.6 million! And it was TINY! It's all about the view, obviously.
Carey, I had no idea I went right past you. The drive was beautiful towards the end, though. There are tons of winerys out there, and I did think of you. :)
MTW, yep, the hat was $5 and I got it right when I got there. We ate lunch outside and I wanted the shade on my face. I *still* managed to get a little burnt though.
*smooches everyone*
*besa for Jen*
I missed you guys!
Now that I think about it, you probably didn't drive by me. You probably went 80 south, huh? I was thinking that you came across the Bay Bridge and got on HWY 1 from over here. You are forgiven.
Nope, we went 5 south to Kettleman City and then headed west once we were down there.
Same thing. From this side of the bay, 80 and 5 are the same thing. LOL
*confused*
I thought 5 was north/south and 80 was east/west?
That's how my uncle's lake house is. It's a tiny little house, and not even one of the nicer ones, but it's worth over a million dollars. In Indiana! But it's not about the house, it's about the lakefront property.
Oh! Oh! I've been to Morrow Bay! It's been a few years, but had a great bowl of clam chowder at one of the little eateries there! DH's birth family is from around there - SLO and Atascadero. We are meeting up with them this weekend, but in San Bernardino. Going to try to fit a trip to the beach in for the kids! Littlest one has never been to the beach!
I'll face North and wave to you and Bravie & Puffy whilst I'm in the granola state!!
mom2, you have to wave to me too! I'm right by MM!
I've been to the places you listed. It's a beautiful, relaxing area. I'm looking forward to the Madonna Inn pictures. We've spent a couple of New Year's Eves at the Madonna Inn. Morrow Bay is where I took a picture of Bruiser, the banana, with a surfer.
Post a Comment