Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Share a flaw!

I was talking to a friend yesterday about the kinds of people we choose as friends, or those that we find ourselves liking a lot, and something we noticed, is that we (my friend and I) tend to like people who are very open about their imperfections. As I've gotten older, one of the (few) things I've enjoyed, is feeling more comfortable with myself, including those little things that are embarrassing. It's almost as if once you say the "embarrassing thing" or "flaw" out loud, it almost disappears. How can others make fun of you about something that you aren't even trying to hide? My dad told me a while ago that I was too defensive. Do you know how hard it was not to be defensive about that? But after letting it sit for a minute, and considering it, I realized it was so much easier to say, "wow, I guess I am" and then let it go, as opposed to, "are you kidding me? *I'm* defensive? Have you seen a mirror lately? How am I defensive, huh? Huh?" That was one of those times in my life I will always remember, because it was almost like a tangible growing experience. I remember walking out that day and realizing that it didn't hurt to admit something bad about myself, and in fact, it was quite liberating!

It's okay that I am defensive. It's not the end of the world that I am hard-headed. I can live with being too proud. It's okay that I despise all small children and pinch them when their moms aren't looking. Right? (and if that last part is not okay, we'll just assume I'm kidding!) ;-)

So, tell me one of your flaws! We'll all feel better about it in the end. You, for getting it out there and realizing that we'll all love you anyways, and me, because I'll quietly judge you and internally laugh at you for being so flawed!

31 comments:

Zombs said...

*sigh*

Sometimes it is so hard to be perfect. I guess my perfection is a flaw.

Bravie said...

I have too many to list just one. My list of non flaws would be much much shorter.

momma said...

I'm extremely opinionated about stupid stuff. And I'm quite stubborn. And I get defensive occasionally. And...dear goodness. I'm with Carey. Can I just list my non-flaws?

Syren said...

A big flaw that I have is being too judgemental of people. I can meet someone, and like them instantly, however if there is something that I think is not right, that is the end right there. I will never like them. It's more about their character than anything. If I notice that they are talking about someone as soon as they meet me, or see that their kids are running rampant without control, I instantly dislike them. There are other things with that flaw. If I have known someone for a while, close or not, and I find out something about them like that they cheat on their spouse, or never take responsibility, I may be friendly around hem for friendly sake, but I will never respect them again.
I have not always been this way, I started changing soon after I left Ryan's dad. A lot of my friends tell me that I don't like anyone, and that is not it. I try to wait to see if they have an ulterior motive before I decide that I like them. Not everyone is nice just to be nice, many people are nice to get something.
So I guess another flaw is trust. Not trusting hardly anyone. IRL, I keep myself closed off a lot more than I do at the other place, or even on blogs.

Sonya said...

My gosh to list out all my flaws you have to give me more room and time. LOL!

Seriously. I have so many.

Glowie said...

My biggest flaw is not liking myself, I think.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Overdeveloped sense of modesty

Aislinn Sirk said...

Real Flaw

I procrastinate and don't get things done when I should (even when I set the deadlines) and then I hate myself for it.

Aislinn Sirk said...

It's the hating myself I guess I have to work on.

Schnookie said...

I am a huge procrastinator. However, I believe my biggest flaw is my lack of social skills. I have absolutely none. Zilch. Nada. Put me in a work related social situation and I freeze up. Thankfully, DH is a great talker so I let him do the yacking.

Schnookie said...

Actually, admitting that really made me cringe just remembering all awkward social moments.

Schnookie said...

Heh! Love my new "linked" name *giggle*

mtw said...

I love being around people who have flaws.

*hangs out in MM's blog*

It takes the pressure off, so that I don't have to pretend to be perfect, like I normally do!.

My biggest shortcoming? I'm a terrible multitasker. I can focus on one thing, but have a hard time keeping juggling several thoughts tasks, whatever.

I'm sure I have significant character flaws, but I can't think of any righ now. ;-)

mtw said...

If this was a job interview, I'd probably say something like "I work too hard; which can alienate my coworkers", or "I'm too dedicated. I don't even like staying home when I'm sick, which puts coworkers at risk!"

Sonya said...

MM - you have a message waiting for you in Momma's post.

mm said...

Poor Zombs. *pats her on the head*

Carey, it's ok, I think we kinda already know about most of yours. ;-)

Good job Momma! That's what I was looking for!

Syren, thanks for sharing that. I can definitely understand much of what you've said. *smooch*

Glow~ *smooch* If only you saw yourself the way everyone does!

Bob, lol! Procrastination is a normal "flaw". However, people who never procrastinate, bug me. Yes, please work on that hating yourself thing, we don't want someone who works with explosives to hate themself.

Nookie, really? I would not have thought that! But seriously, I think that just *knowing* that, puts you way ahead of the people who lack social skills and are clueless about it!

MTW? You're hired! *grin* (we can work out a job description later)

Sonya! Work on it! We need some flaws! *off to check momma's blog*

Seana said...

Goodness. Well, there are so many, it's hard to pick just one. I am apt to blurt things out that I shouldn't. I might say something that turns out to be insulting to someone when I didn't mean to be, but I just didn't think first.

I don't always like to explain things to people and I often get snippy if I have to. You'll never know if I'm in the mood to explain or if I'm not. My poor family.

I don't like to admit when I do something stupid, so I get snippy with people until I've fixed whatever I did wrong and then I have to apologise for being snippy.

My apologies are usually delivered snippily, because I don't like to apologise.

Emily RugBurn said...

I am unbelievably stubborn, to the point where it affects my relationships with others.

I consider myself to be a very laid back chiquita, but there are some things I just can't, for the life of me, let go. I'm forever shouting "It's the PRINCIPLE!"

If I *know*, in my heart of hearts, that I am "right", then I will not feign defeat for the sole purpose of keeping the peace, when maybe sometimes I should...

Phew! That felt good!

~ EmRB

Coco said...

I tend to be really out to lunch. I tend to tune out if it's not immediately fascinating to me, which makes me look snotty and self-absorbed. Which I am, to a point, I guess.

My follow-up skills are also bad. I tend to not finish things I should.

Immunegirl said...

Hmmm. I'm kind of stubborn and arguementative. Sometimes I can get a little isolationist and get annoyed about having to be nice to new people. I can also be kind of mean, and sometimes I don't think before I act and end up doing some really bad things.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Ya know, Iggy, the whole "sometimes I don't think before I act and end up doing some really bad things. " is really scary considering where you work and what you have access to.

HistoryDetective said...

I have no imperfections.

I like your views on children though. They should be leashed and ball-gagged at all times ... but not in an S&M dungeon kind of way.

volsfan said...

I sometime get very defensive quickly depending on the situation. Today when the bank called...I went ballistic. I am sure that nerdy little twirp won't call me again anytime soon!

arkie said...

I'm not sure how to word this so it makes sense.

I tend to put people on a pedestal, and expect them to be more than human, I guess. And when they do things that IMO may be wrong, it's hard for me to accept that they aren't what I had idealized them as.

Does that make sense to anyone? (Not being able to express myself clearly is another flaw.)

Puffy said...

It took so long to read all these comments!!!!!!! :)

Lack Of Patience.

And I'm experiencing a lot of it today.

~Nutz said...

I have way too many to list too, plus if I did, it would take Puffy even longer to read all these comments! *grin*

Mr. Nutz & Nutzboy have told me they can't be perfect like me. *boggle* I am always telling them I'm not perfect, but thay have labeled me! Pffft! Maybe it's because I always correct what they say or do. *shrug*

HistoryDetective said...

I have a short attention span. Sometimes it makes me seem disinterested.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I keep clicking back to blogs when I should be working.

Jen said...

I'm a bitch.

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

There's not enough room in your tblog for all my flaws. Just one, I'm very difficult to live with, I like things done my way and I can be an ass about it. Luckily for me and Syren, that's only been a problem with my male roommates.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I was visiting Nutzy's blog and realised how incredibly scatter brained I am.

I guess I forgot before.