Thursday, February 02, 2006

Important ant question

What do ants to with their dead loved ones? I was about to kill a stray ant, when I noticed it was carrying another dead ant. I totally couldn't do it after that. If I thought he was going to eat the dead ant, or he was just really stupid and didn't know it was a dead ant, I could do it. But, if he is taking him home, out of respect, then I can't kill it. *sigh* Does anyone know?

P.S. please hurry, I don't want to let it get too far if I should kill it.

Edited to add~ the ant got away. I'd still like to know for next time, though.

16 comments:

Swami said...

Obviously, he was taking it to the secret Dead Ant Burial Ground. It's kind of like the famous & equally secret Elephant Burial Ground in Africa, but much amaller.

mm said...

*snort*! See, that's what I'm afraid of. I think it already got away, but maybe it's for the best, that way.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Then there will be two ant bodies to cart away.

Syren said...

From http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/ants.html

"Ants keep a fairly clean house. They carry their waste matter outside of their nest and dispose of it in a pile called a midden. As well as being a kind of dumpster, the midden also functions as a cemetery. Ants transport their dead there in order to protect themselves and their queen from contamination.
When an ant dies, its body releases a chemical called oleic acid. Oleic acid translates to dumpster material for ants."

Syren said...

Also, the more you kill, the more will come to take them away. Just let them take them away and spray afterwards, to keep them gone.

mm said...

Thank you, Syren! So basically, it has nothing to do with *feelings* and is just an automatic response to the smell? That makes me feel much better about killing them. Thanks!

Syren said...

But if you kill it, even if you dispose of it, others will come looking for it. The chemical has already been released, and they will search for it.

We have carpenter ants here during the summer. I use Raid and spray all the window sills, the door frames, and the register vents. Do they call the heating vent things registers where you are? The spray creates a barrier and keeps them out. I do this every week, when I clean, after I clean. Once and a while a stray may be found, but those I close up in a tissue and take outside.

Puffy said...

The Pink Panther has dead ants, too.

mm said...

Wouldn't the Raid cover the smell of the acid? Anyways, I only see a few every now and then, so I won't kill them, I'll let them go. Thanks for the info, Syren!

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

BUwuwahahahah at Puffy. Mom is the funniest. I have ants in my backyard, I was thinking a flame thrower might do the trick.

lights said...

Does anyone else hear the Lone Ranger theme song playing in their head?

Deadant, deadant, deadant, deadant; deadant, deadant, deadant, deadant; deadant, deadant, deadant, deadant, Ooooo deadant, deadant!

No? Just me? *grin*

Aislinn Sirk said...

The Lone Ranger is
To the dump, to the dump, to the dump, dump,dump.


The dead ant is Pink Panther.

BTW, my dad shot a movie entitled "Where does the Lone Ranger take his garbage?".

Sonya said...

No clue here. Maybe watch the Animal Planet for an answer.LOL!

Zombs said...

I'm a good aunt. My nieces and nephews love me. I am sure they would carry my dead body away.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Aren't you already dead?

lights said...

*smacks forehead* See, I told you I am an idiot!

*runs off to Nutzy's blog with latest blonde moment story*