Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Several things...(and a test)

One, DH is being so obnoxious I can't stand it. He is excited about the cruise we are taking to Alaska in June, which is fine, but he obsessively checks the website and freaks out about the price changing, constantly. Tonight, he wanted to pull the trigger right then, which I wasn't ready to do yet, and he got all freaked out about it. we *almost* had a fight about it. He agreed to wait until the morning. I agreed to let him do whatever he wanted. Once it's all set, I have no idea what he'll do with his time.

Second, I was informed by my brother's pregnant girlfriend that her sister and I are in charge of the baby shower. Frankly, before she told me that, I hadn't given it a thought. *sheepish grin* Tonight, I was called to go to her sister's house, to discuss our lists. Umm, brother's GF doesn't have any friends, and we don't have a lot of local family, yet I am supposed to come up with 25 people. The sister chose to do it at the Hilton, and was informed by pregnant DB's GF, that there will *no children* allowed. WTF? A baby shower where kids are not permitted. Okay. There goes half of my list right there. Not sure they'll want to come when told their older (10+ year old) daughters can't come. Is that normal? Maybe it's just me. Bridal showers I can see, weddings, sure. But baby showers?

Third, I am so excited! I got a ring the other day, at a consignment store, for under $300, and it is a pink sapphire, set in white gold with a vintage style setting. It's gorgeous! I am in love with it. We confirmed that the stone was real, and DH then informed me that I had to "pay" him back. *rolls eyes* Guess what he wanted? *rolls eyes again* Here is a picture I found of one that is similar to mine, but mine is with the pink sapphire instead of the diamond. Mine is an oval cut, as opposed to the round cut. I used this photo because it has the same vintage style filigree.

Okay, now for the test...my brother showed me this today and I wasted some time on it. I found it to be very intriguing. Tell me if you get them, or find them ridiculous. I was able to get 23 of the 33, but some were just too out there for me.


0. 24 H in a D (example) 24 Hours in a Day

1. 26 L of the A

2. 7 D of the W

3. 7 W of the W

4. 12 S of the Z .

5. 66 B of the B

6. 52 C in a P (W J)

7. 13 S in the U S F

8. 18 H on a G C

9. 39 B of the O T

10. 5 T on a F

11. 90 D in a R A

12. 3 B M (S H T R)

13. 32 is the T in D F at which W F

14. 15 P in a R T

15. 3 W on a T

16. 100 C in a D

17. 11 P in a F (S) T

18. 12 M in a Y

19. 13 is U F S

20. 8 T on an O

21. 29 D in F in a L Y

22. 27 B in the N T

23. 365 D in a Y

24. 13 L in a B D

25. 52 W in a Y

26. 9 L of a C

27. 60 M in an H

28. 23 P of C in the H B

29. 64 S on a C B

30. 9 P in S A

31. 6 B to an O in C

32. 1000 Y in a M

33. 15 M on a D M C

27 comments:

volsfan said...

Have fun with the baby shower! The 33 things? WTF are they?

lights said...

1. 26 letters of the alphabet

2. 7 days of the week

4. 12 signs of the zodiac

7. 13 strips in the US flag

9. 39 bitches of the Off Topic? *grin*

13. 32 is the Temperature in Degrees Farenheit at which Water Freezes (not bad for a Can'tadian)

16. 100 cents in a dollar

18. 12 months in a year

21. 29 days in February in a leap year

23. 365 days in a year

25. 52 weeks in a year

27. 60 minutes in an hour

I used to know all of these but that's all I had time for at the moment.

You're gonna love Alaska. I think I asked before but not sure if I saw an answer. Are you going to do and land tours or is it all on the ship? If you do get to tour around Anchorage I could give you some places to see.

Baby showers. Ugh.

lights said...

Uh, I meant stripes, not strips on the US flag. Stoopid Canuck. *giggle*

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

I suck at logic puzzles and riddles so I'll pass on the game and just *smooch* you instead. Do I win??

momma said...

I'll deal with the questions later.

Congrats on the ring. It sounds very pretty.

Your brother's girlfriend is an idiot. Baby showers are to be planned by friends, not family. And she shouldn't be involved other than helping with the invitee list.

momma said...

Oh? And about the kids at the baby shower? I don't know. I didn't have kids at either mine, but I also didn't have very many friends with little ones at the time my first was born, so it wasn't an issue. With my 2nd, most of my friends were so dang happy for a break from their toddlers, they didn't WANT to bring them. However, I did have two nieces at that shower - roughly 8 & 13 at the time.

Schnookie said...

Beautiful ring. Congrats!!! I think I'd like a ring like that.

I would have thought that children could attend a baby shower. I haven't had much experience with that though.

I haven't had enough coffee so I'll answer the questions later.

*WHACKS* Lightsy for posting her answers.

Anonymous said...

*giggles* because Lightsy and I thought the same thing about #9.

That is a pretty ring.

Baby Shower: Tough call because I really think it depends on who the shower is being given for and who the other attendees are. I've been to showers where the children were just lovely and to others where the children were awful -- mad that they didn't win the games, etc. Sorry for the cop out answer, but I honestly think it depends.

momma said...

1. 26 Letters of the Alphabet
2. 7 Days of the Week
9. 39 Bitches of the OT??
16. 100 Cents in a Dollar
18. 12 Months in a Year
21. 29 Days in February in a Leap Year
23. 365 Days in a Year
25. 52 Weeks in a Year
27. 60 Minutes in an Hour
32. 1000 Years in a Millenium

There are the ones I know off the top of my head.

Sonya said...

Kids should be able to come to a baby shower. That is stupid. So are you and DB's GF's sister having to pay for th room at the hilton?

Syren said...

I would have never had a baby shower with Ryan if I did not ask my step mom to put one together, and even then she refused to have her name as the host on the invitations. My sister finally said okay.
This time around, I will probably not have a shower, bridal or baby.

I have been to ones where children were there and where they were not. Honestly, I think it is more enjoyable for the attendees to not have to worry about chasing their kids, unless there is a play area set up.

The ring is beautiful. Congrats...I'll be back with some answers in a bit.

Swami said...

The ring is beautiful, MM. I love vintage jewelry.

GF sounds a bit unreasonable to me. Her role in this should be to suggest names of special people she would like to have attend, name the kinds of stuff she needs and then be appreciative of the people throwing the shower. That's it.

Babies are always fun to have a baby shower. Little girls age 6 and up can really enjoy them. It may be their first female bonding experience & they will participate in games and stuff & love it. Toddlers and little boys are less interested in the whole thing.

I have been to showers where a baby sitter or two was hired by the shower's hostess to mind the children while their moms enjoyed the party. This worked out very well. People brought their child(ren) then handed them off to the sitters who had movies & popcorn & toys in another room.

Swami said...

Oh yeah, I once wasted about 30 hours of my life trying to get all those questions. I wound up getting 31 of the 33, which I thought was pretty darn good and impressed the hell out of the gal at my husband's work who was emailing the Qs all over town. Some answers are really obscure. I mean, really!

I saved the answers somewhere, so I'll just pass on trying to refigure them.

Aislinn Sirk said...

11. 90 degrees in a right angle

Bob <--- geek

Bravie said...

I think kids usually come to our baby showers.
I have taken the test before. I think I socred pretty well. I'll ahve to do it again later to see how I still do.

Emily RugBurn said...

LVOE the ring! Ya just can't beat vintage jewelry.

If I couldn't find 25 non-moms to attend my (baby!) shower, I might have to rethink the "no kids" rule.

It's kinda sad she doesn't have enough friends to make a party... and it kinda sucks some of the responsibility is on you. I just pray no one asks me to throw a shower; I hate them SO much that I told my bridesmaids (and my mother) that if they tried to throw me a wedding shower, I would permanently disown them.

~ EmRB

mtw said...

So, loved the picture of the ring, but how come there isn't any pics of what you gave him? *laughing loudly*

Baby showers? I leave that one to the ladies, but it all sounds pretty presumptuous of her!

Here's one more of those to add to your list, BTW:

20 T in the L Y I've F O the T :-)

mm said...

Lights, I'd love to hear about some things to see. We are going to be getting off the ship, yes. Oddly, one of the stops is in Victoria, which I was just in in September, but the others are all Alaska. I'm sure Anchorage is one them (I think).

*smooches* CSTL! (yes, you are a winner!)

Momma, I found out brothers GF is dictating a lot of it, to her sister. It all makes me sad, I think she has always dreamt of a wedding, and bridal showers, and all that, but since asshole DB won't marry her, this is her only shot at it being all about her.

You know, about the no kids thing, if it weren't *her* saying it, maybe it wouldn't have bothered me. Also, all the invitees, only have older daughters, so I would have thought it would be fun for them. Incidentally, she did say that my daughter and niece could go, so I'm not bitching about this based on hurt feelings or anything. (wanted to clarify)

Nookie, there are still lots of unanswered questions left!

Boo, I'm pretty intolerant of unruly children myself, but in this case, there really are not any. I just hope some of the women don't end up not coming as a result of this. It would make for a sad little party.

Sonya, her sister was assuming the responsibility for the cost, since I wasn't conferred about the choice, but I told her I would help.

Which reminds me Syren, I have a question for you. Check your flag in a bit, okay? *smooch*

Swami, that's exactly it! I remember going to baby showers as a little girl and it was such a special, neat thing for me. I hate taking that away from other little girls.
The on-site babysitter thing is awesome. Maybe I'll suggest that.

This test had me intrigued for a couple hours. I kept coming back to it, and adding more answers, but in the end, when I gave up and checked the answers, I realized that some of them would have been impossible for me. Won't give them away, but just know that if you don't know alot about something like Rugby, or Cricket, you might be stuck for a while.

*trying to figure out MTW's addition*

And uh, no, no pics of DH's present, sorry. ;-)

Oh and Bob! I think it's funny that you got that one right away. My DH did too, but not me. :)

Schnookie said...

20 T in the L Y I've F O the T

= 20 times in the last year I've fallen off the toilet *grin*

mm said...

*snort* @ Nookie!

Glowie said...

20. 8 Tentacles on an Octopus (?)

I think that's the only one I think I got that nobody else mentioned.

Nice ring!

Sonya said...

I am loving the ring. Forgot to write that earlier.

~Nutz said...

Ummm... yeah. HI!

Immunegirl said...

DORK ALERT!

1. 26 Letters in the alphabet
2. 7 Days in the week
3. 7 Wonders of the world
4. 12 signs of the zodiac
5. 66 Books of the Bible
6. 52 cards in a pack (without jokers)
7. 13 stripes in the US Flag
8. 18 holes on a golf course
9. 39 books of the Old Testament (though I like everyone else's answer better...)
10.????
11. 90 Degrees in a Right Angle
12. 3 Blind Mice (See how they run)
13. 32 is the Temperature in Degrees Fahrenheit at which Water Freezes
14. ????
15. 3 Wheels on a Tricycle
16. 100 Cents in a Dollar
17. 11 Players in a Football (Soccer) Team
18. 12 Months in a Year
19. 13 is Unlucky For Some
20. 8 Tentacles on an Octopus
21. 29 Days in February in a Leap Year
22. 27 Books in the New Testament
23. 365 Days in a Year
24. 13 Loaves in a Bakers Dozen
25. 52 Weeks in a Year
26. 9 Lives of a Cat
27. 60 Minutes in an Hour
28. ???? though I assume it is also something to do with the bible
29. 64 Squares on a Checker/Chess Board
30. ?????
31. ?????
32. 1000 Years in a Millenium
33. ??????

Zombs said...

First, love the ring.

Second, I think kids at the shower could go either way. I personally hate all showers unless they are co-ed and invite all family and friends. But those are far and few between. I do like time away from my kids to just have a drink and see my friends.

Third, remember the shower is for the baby. A new baby that is completely innocent and deserving as all babies are of being showered with love. Somehting to remember when thinking the shower is for someone you may or may not like.

Swami said...

My favorite one, that I got in a sudden inspiration:

33. 15 men on a dead man's chest.
(Y H H and a B of R)

mm said...

Glow, you got it!

Iggy~ *rolls eyes* Such a smahtie!:)

Swami~ I would have NEVER gotten that one. It's weird how you can walk away, come back later and something you didn't get before, seems so clear. At least, that's how it was for me.

Zombie, very good points. I need to dwell on that more. Thank you.