Sunday, May 13, 2007

Grrr!

I went to Wal Mart the other day because my DD begged me to. I can't even remember what she needed now, but we went. We had about 10 things in our cart when we were ready to go, so I went to the "Express Line" where it says you must have 10 or less items. I did not immediately pay attention to the lady checking out in front of me, but after several people lined up behind me, I noticed that the delay was because she had at least 50 items! And most were children's clothes, so the cashier had to remove the hangers and fold each thing, as she rung them up!

I listened as the customers behind me complained, and then watched as they started skipping to the check out in front of us. I kept waiting, thinking patience was important. The more I stood there though, and the wal mart cashier never once acknowledged any of the other customers (particularly ME, since I was there the longest and hadn't complained) the more pissed I got. I thought she should have at least looked up and said *something* letting me know how frustrating it must be. Even eye contact can say a lot. She never did. When the woman with the kids clothes was about done, I decided at the last minute to go the other line, because I realized I was so agitated that I didn't have it in me to be nice to the cashier.

I checked out, and when I got home, I immediately called the store. This is the second time I've called and complained about service somewhere lately, and it's weird because it's totally unlike me. Anyhow, I was surprised to hear (from the manager) that they are "not allowed to make a customer leave the line, for fear of embarrassing them". Wow. I can think of a million ways to nicely tell someone they need to go the next line. Anyhow, the manager also said the cashier *should* have acknowledged the waiting customers, though.

*sigh* So I think I got the cashier in trouble. The manager sounded pissed and said she was going to go right then and have a talk with her. I can't tell whether I feel happy or bad about that.

On another note, Survivor did nothing for me this season. I did not care for anyone in the final 3, nor did I care for the person who was voted out 4th (in case someone doesn't want to know yet, I'm leaving names out). I think I only cared about Alex. *dreamy sigh* And Boo cleaned up nicely too, didn't he??

12 comments:

Jen said...

I liked the person who won, but I can't say I really cared about this season either.
Alex was a douchebag at the final tribal council. I didn't like him.

I'm hoping the different setting in China next season will make me interested in the show again. I'm not holding my breath though. There's only so much of a show I can take. 15 seasons?!?! It's crazy. They need to have it on once a year instead of twice.

kim (weltek) said...

Didn't Alex have funny hair? I only watched a few times this season, so I'm having some trouble putting faces with names. On the jury I just recall his hair being parted down the center and looking weird. I was a fan of Edgardo. *swoon*

I hate that situation with the checkouts. I know most stores have the same policy as Wal-Mart. I think there should be some sort of pleasant recorded voice chirping at the line: "This lane is only for customers with ten items or less." It would probably drive the cashier nuts, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Um that's a stupid rule. They would rather piss off all the customers who follow the rule rather than the bonehead that has 50 items in the 10 item line.

You can totally do it nicely. The cashier should keep an eye on the line and as soon as Boneheaded McPiggity gets in the line, call down politely and tell her she's in the wrong line (People do make mistakes).

momma said...

DH was flipping thru the channels last night around 9 and says "Oh. The Survivor finale was on? They were in Fiji? Hunh." Watched Jeff talk for a few minutes. And continued flipping channels. I really had no interest in this season at all.

momma said...

Boneheaded McPiggity? *snort*

Bravie said...

Good for you for speaking up. You are nicer than I. I would have left my basket full of goods on the counter wand walked out.
I was bored with Survivor this year too. I had hoped that the number four person was going to win.
As long as Boo keeps his mouth shut? I totally crush on him.

momma said...

Is that your mom in the glasses in that picture to the side with you?

mtw said...

That's an idiotic rule. If a person is in the wrong line on purpose, they deserve the initial (minor) embarrassment of being told so. Like you said, there are a million ways to do it nicely. Someone who's in there accidentally would appreciate the reminder because it would be FAR more embarrassing to suffer the evil glares of all the angry customers behind you once you realized you were in the wrong line. And if ANOTHER CUSTOMER has to point out the obvious, chances are excellent it will le less than a gentle reminder.

I agree with Bob that cashiers should be alert enough to see who's in their line and direct them elsewhere before they wait a long time. And cashiers who fail to acknowledge the wait of people behind the customer being helped drive me insane. It's one of my pet peeves. The worst to me is when they apologize to the customer being helped for it taking so long while ignoring the next one in line.

Unlike Bravie, I would NEVER abandon a cart in the store! *shocked*

Survivor, I wanted the number four person to win as well. Alex was an ass on the jury. So was Lisi, but nothing unusual about that.

Schnookie said...

I'll ditto your GRRRRRRRRRR! I hate express lines. As I mentioned in MTW's blog, my pet peeve is when they allow peeps in the express line to write checks. It's supposed to be FAST!

I probably would have said something to the woman with the 50 items. Just to let her know she's a beyotch.

Glowie said...

I agree with MTW about the Walmart thingy. I have witnessed cashiers at Walmart politely pointing out a customer that clearly has way too many items might have been in their line by accident, fwiw.

I so do not care about this season of Survivor. We didn't watch last week and haven't watched the finale yet. The only reason I'm interested in the finale is to hear Rocky talk some more. He was fun. Oh yes, and Edgardo.

MM said...

Alex WAS a douchebag last night, wasn't he? But still, I think he's cute. *grin*
I know Yau was popular, but something about him creeped me out. *shrug*
Rocky was a moron, but Jeff was right, he was fun to watch!

The thing about the lady who was in the line with all the stuff, I think she didn't speak english. And the manager said that some people can't read, and they don't want to embarrass them. Still, it's not like the cashier should say "Hey idiot, can't you read??". They can say it nicely, under the assumption the person just "missed" the sign.

And Nooke is right, there should be no check writing in Express Lanes.

Momma, yes, that's me and my mom.

Swami said...

I have seen people reminded that they have too many things for the express line. Nobody freaks out. Some people just look 'caught'. Cashier should cal a manager or something if she needs help to keep her line moving.

This Survivor is the first one where I picked the winner out on the first day and was right. So I'm happy. Plus I really like Earl. I liked Alex until he went a-hole on the final three.