Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What are you afraid of?

Today while I was at my mom's house I had a horrific experience. I was cleaning for her and I ran into a really big spider. I already knew I was afraid of them, but I really had thought I was getting better. Apparently not. So this spider starts crawling and I ran for the bug spray. When I came back I couldn't find it, so I started moving furniture. I couldn't just let it walk around the house (at least not while *I* was there). Anyhow, as I was giving up, heading to the phone to call my brother and let him know he had to find it when he got home, I spotted the sonofabitch running along the wall, towards the slider. I sprayed it really good and it freaked out and started running. Well, seeing a spider run is what freaks me out completely. I started screaming and swearing at it, and I tried to open the slider so it could get out. It's long black legs were reaching all over the glass *shiver* and it was an effing BIG spider. As I slid the door open, it decided to run back in, towards me. At this point, my legs were freezing up and my breathing was erratic. I decided to douse it one last time and then if it didn't stop I would put the trash can on it. As I emptied the bug spray on it it finally curled up, and died.

At that point I was able to focus on my own reaction and that is when I noticed several things. a) I was crying really hard, b) my legs not only were frozen, but they were actually hurting, c) my breathing was more like hyperventilating, and d) all my toes were completely curled (and not in a good way) and they were literally stuck that way for several minutes.

This confirms to me that I do not care for spiders.

So, what makes you react that way?

34 comments:

Chrissy (woe) said...

Rodents. Rodents make me feel that way. And I am not just talking mice and rats, but ANY rodent, even ferrets and peoples furry little rodent pets creep me out. I aim for the mongooses here with my car because I think the only good rodent is a dead one. Sorry for your spidey experience.

*smooch*

mm said...

Aww, I used to have a pet rat. You would have loved my grandpa's "pet mongoose" that he had jump out of the cage at people. (it was fake, but scared people to death)

I'm not much into rodents either, but would take them any day over a spider.

*smooch*

Supes said...

The elusive duck-billed platypus makes me have a similar reaction, plus pee pee in my pants.

Swami said...

Um... nothing.

I have hyperventilated and had sore muscles after a very close call (but a clean miss) in a traffic almost-accident. But crying and toe-curling? Never.

I'm sorry, you can never come to my house MM. I live in the spider capital of America. The St. Croix River Valley contains more types of species of spider than any place else in the US. Most of them are Daddy Longlegs species--the most harmless spider ever--and they are all over my yard spinning their little traps in the grass.

thndrkttn said...

I have a very similar reaction to spiders, especially the toe curling. I also tend to walk on the outside edges of my feet for a while.

I cried when I had moths in my apartment. I had bought a huge Boston fern and unbeknownst to me, there were moths eggs in the plant. I went away for a long weekend and when I came home, they were everywhere. I mean everywhere. I was crying, screeching and just generally freaking out. I had to pee so badly but was afraid to use the bathroom as they were all over the walls. I finally got up to nerve to go and when I lifted the toilet cover, there were two sitting on the toilet seat. *SHUDDER* I will be the first to admit, I peed in the sink that day. I had to bomb the apartment twice to get rid of them. *SHHHUUUUUUDDDDDDEEEERRRR*

Schnookie said...

I once sat on the top of a chair and watched a spider on the wall for hours until my brother got home so he could kill it.

When DH is out of town, and I'm confronted with a spider situation, I know I have to deal with it myself.

I will arm myself ... rubber gloves, socks, running shoes, broom, bug spray and chair (to stand on). Sometimes, when there is a HUGE spider in the garage and I know it's a fast sucker, I will spray that foamy wasp stuff. It makes such a mess LOL. DH doesn't kill spiders. He will get a glass and piece of cardboard, scoop it up and bring it outside.

The things that will make me cry? If there is a lizard in the house and DH isn't home. *shudder*

Walking over bridges. Especially if it's a small thin grated bridge, or one of those flimsy bridges at a gorge. I will literally freeze. I shut down and cry from total fear. The only way I can get across is on my hands and knees and that's after a long time of pleading from DH LOL.

lights said...

Spider-fearing wimps. *giggle*

Now snakes, there's something to really be afraid of! Well, snakes and duck-billed platypusses, or is that platypi.

*waits for T-Kitty to start talking about toilet snakes*

*shudder*

I'm not normally afraid of spiders but I remember one time when a particular bunch of spiders freaked me out pretty good.

We were at Legendary Golf in Daytona Beach. It's a really cool miniputt place and I was kicking Dave's butt on the front 9. The back 9 was literally the "back" 9, back in amongst the trees and moss. Dave looked up, I think he may have been praying for Divine intervention relating to his miniputt skills, and spotted the most ginormous spider he'd ever seen. It's body alone was the size of my fist. His prayer was answered because once I saw the spiders dangling above my head I could no longer concentrate on my game and he made his comeback.

Sonya said...

Didn't Carey have the same fear awhile back? Yall should comfort one another. LOL! I fear spiders, rats, mice, snakes, etc.

mtw said...

Spiders don't bother me so much, as long as they're not crawling on me. Flying insects - they bother me. Especially ones that fly erratically, like grasshoppers.

Schnookie said...

Oh, worse than grasshoppers are crickets. They scare the beejeebus out of me. Their hopping and bopping all over the place and the noise. *shudder*

Immunegirl said...

Strangely, mice scare me like that. I say strangely because I am perfectly able to do experiments on mice, pick them up or do anything at all to them. But...if I see one outside of lab( like in my apartment), I freak out. Last year we had mice in my apartment and my roommate and I kept threatening them when we knew they were around-"Mouse, If I find you, I'm going to take out your spleen!", but once we actually SAW the mouse, we stood on chairs and screamed.

Aislinn Sirk said...

For a few nights after I got bit on the head by the vampire bat, I had to sleep with covers over my head.

I also ate a lot of garlic.

Seana said...

I like spiders. They eat the other bugs. I prefer them in the yard and that's where I put them if I find them in the house.

I have screamed and jumped when one of those centipedes that live in the basement scuttles quickly across something in my peripheral vision. That's just being startled, though

I'm also the one who has had to capture the mouse that got into the kitchen and the bat that got into the bathroom when we had the exhaust fan out.

Now drug dealers, those scare me. I'd like to spray them until their legs curl up and they die.

Jen said...

I'm certainly not a fan of spiders, or any sort of bug for that matter, but I'm not nearly as terrified of them as you seem to be. If there is one in my apartment, I will get the heebie jeebies and freak out a little, but I am able to go and pick it up with a piece of toilet paper and flush 'em away.

thndrkttn said...

But Jen, killing it with toilet paper means you have to squish them and there is the dreaded possibility that you might *gasp* feel the crunch through the toilet paper. Or!!! What if you miss crunching it and the spider escapes the toilet paper clutch and crawls out of the toilet paper on your arms??!! GAK! GAK!! Ohhh GAK!

LOL Lights! Am I that predictable? My first thought upon reading your post was "Hmmm. I have to go find that python in the toilet picture!" and then I read what you wrote to me! LOL!

True story. The other day, there was a little spider crawling across the kitchen floor. I called Thea over and got her to eat it. She loves her mommy.

Jen said...

I have felt the dreaded crunch several times. I do not like it. But how else am I supposed to kill them? I don't want to smash it with a shoe or something and have spider guts all over my wall! Ick! I had never thought of using bug spray (because I don't own any) but that would be a mess to clean up, too. At least the toilet paper crunch is mess-free and effective.

I have never had one escape up my arm, but the next time I go to kill one, you know I'll be worried about that. Thanks a lot. :P

thndrkttn said...

but the next time I go to kill one, you know I'll be worried about that. Thanks a lot.

*smooches* That's what I am here for!

thndrkttn <---- striking fear in the hearts of toilet paper bug killers everywhere.

Jen said...

*grumble*

*throws spiders in tkitty's hair*

;-)

thndrkttn said...

GAK! GAK! GET IT OUT!! ACKKKK!

*cue angry parental voice*

Jennifer Lynn Silver Star, you get that spider out of my hair NOW!

Swami said...

I would never ever-ever spray any aerosol bug poison inside my house! That stuff is poison all 'round, you know! TP 'em, stomp 'em, swat 'em, shoo them out a window--anything but poison your own house!

My exception is contained poisons. Like I put out ant traps every spring because ants try to move in every spring. Every. Freakin. Spring.

Swami said...

Did I ever tell my giant centipede in the bathroom story? I can't remember.

thndrkttn said...

Did I ever tell my giant centipede in the bathroom story?

JEEZUS Christmas! Are you trying to kill us? There is nothing worse than being accosted by creepy crawlies when you're naked.

momma said...

Snakes. Snakes will cause me to scream and run. And scream. And run. Far.Far.Away.

Mice freak me out and I have to get DH to deal with them. But they do not have that awful of an effect on me.

Emily RugBurn said...

Same here, mm. You are not alone. I am DEATHLY afraid of spiders. I can handle other bugs, rodents, and if faced with one, I believe I could handle a snake, but if I see a spider, I transform into a crying, hysterical wuss. I know it's completely illogical, but I just can't help it.

I think it's because they have so many legs and with their invisible webs, they can come at you from any and every direction. They're unpredictable and just plain freaking scary to look at.

If DH is out of town and I'm forced to do battle with one on my own, I wait until it crawls onto a bleachable surface and then I spray it with Fantastic w/bleach. Then I vacuum the sucker up. I can't go anywhere near them.

My girlfriend wraps a phone book in a plastic bag, and tosses it onto every bug that crosses her path. Then she stomps on the phone book a few (hundred) times, and then removes the bag (turning it inside out so the bug is on the inside). Every spring, her house is a phone book obstacle course.

~ EmRB

mm said...

LOL @ all of you! Tkit, we are exactly alike with this. Jen, that's just gross! You *can't* pick them up with toilet paper! If I even *see* someone do that, I'll scream as though it was me doing it. Also, if DH kills the spider, I have to close my eyes and hum until the noise is all gone because god forbid I hear "the crunch". *shivers*

Swami? No bathroom centipede stories, TYVM!

Dammit. Now I'm all jumpy and keep thinking I see things moving around me.

Oh, and once, my cat was going to eat a huge-ass spider that was walking in the living room and I called my bother crying, begging him to come over. My cat kept scaring the spider, making it run. I did not want a spider in my cat's tummy. Yuck!

volsfan said...

Snakes

Bravie said...

ACK!!!!
runs away from spider talk.

Lasann said...

Sits with Seana.

mm said...

I definitely thought about you Carey, during the whole spider ordeal.

*smooch*

My dad is deathly afriad of snakes. In fact, he thinks if someone deliberately puts a snake near you, you should be able to murder them and and then be acquitted. LOL (that put an end to *my* plans!)

kim (weltek) said...

Wow. I don't know that I have anything that makes me react THAT way! I'm a shrieker and hopper, but that's about it. If I'm alone, I'll shoo or kill anything just to have it gone.

I have to agree with Lights. Snakes are UBER freaky. If I ever have to chase one from my garage or inside my house, I may die of a heart attack in the process. I have a hard enough time outside. Even the little harmless snakes. And the stories of masses of snakes in walls, etc makes me want to hurl. Any insect, rodent, etc en masse freaks me out. Masses of Asian Beetles makes me break out in shivers.

Swami said...

I grew up playing with Garter Snakes. Such fun. You hold them behind their little heads and they wrap their bodies around your wrist (or arm if they are big ones.) Their skin is warm and soft and they feel really muscular.

Swami<--- not telling any bug stories in MM's blog.

Anonymous said...

Spiders I can handle.

Mice, kill me.

~Nutz said...

The only thing I'm afraid of is that something bad will happen to my children or my husband. Something really bad that would make them really sick or even die.

Bugs? Snakes? Pffft! That ain't nothing.

*grabs shoe and kills the spider for MM*

mm said...

Very good point, Nutz. *smooch*

(and you're going to have to clean the mess your shoe just made)