Well, maybe not a "brag" but a "damn, I'm proud of myself" anyways. :) I? Have been roller skating. A lot. And I'm *loving* it. It's something I had not dared to do since I was probably 15, maybe younger. I don't know why I stopped doing it really...I loved it so much as a kid. But then I had my kids, gained all that weight and well, you know. When I sprained my ankle a few years ago (gosh, I guess it was 7 or 8 years ago) I figured I'd never dare skate again because I was so afraid of re-injuring myself. My kids even had roller skating lessons a few years ago and I never once considered trying. Well recently I got in touch with an old friend and she wanted to take the kids roller skating. I've been so active lately (walking/jogging the nature trail and playing catch, including a lot of running) that I decided it was time to try. I have to say, it was just like riding a bike. Once I was out there, it was the most natural thing in the world. I even skated circles around my friend Anna. *grin* It's been nice having something like this to take the place of kayaking, which I miss so much. I'm still afraid of falling *knock on wood* but I'm sure once I get that out of the way, I won't stress about it anymore. I'll try to get some pics next time we go.
So, that's my brag.
I see that Bob has hers in her blog, and I'm astounded it took me this long to see it. Congrats, Bob! She's gorgeous!
What about anyone else? Give me something you're proud of.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




14 comments:
Look at you, sporty girl! That sounds like fun. Roller skating was never real big around here, but I remember going a couple times. I was one of those hold onto the wall at all costs people. Heh.
I can't think of anything I'm proud of right now. If I do, I'll let you know. :)
When I was in grade school, we had roller skating parties once a month, always on a Wednesday, at a place called the Palladium. It was THE thing to do - all the kids went, not just the cool kids. I had my own roller skates so I didn't have to rent the icky brown ones at the roller rink.
(Mine were white and had Strawberry Shortcake on the side. It was possible to cover the Strawberry Shortcake with my jeans when it was no longer cool to have Strawberry Shortcake on anything, but the skates still fit. My Strawberry skates were from my grandmother and replaced the old metal ones I had that you'd wear with shoes and tighten with a key that I'd then wear around my neck on a piece of green yarn.)
I loved roller skating parties. Since it was a school event the teachers didn't give homework on roller skating party night. It was always fun. During Couple Skate you had to hold hands with someone. Most of us girls usually just held hands with a girlfriend, so we didn't have to sit out. One time a boy asked me to skate and I think I held my breath the entire time. I was soooo smooth.
I don't think I've been roller skating since 8th grade. Still, good memories, there.
Mr. Fro thinks I sound like an old fogey when I talk about roller skating parties. Especially when I mention the metal skates with the skate key.
Ohhhh, we should do this on our next meeting. I suck on skates but it would be fun. we should find a rink near Vacaville.
Yay Tab! Way to go!
I like rollerskating, too. I still have a pair, but it's been about 15 years since I skated. I used to go to the roller rink during the day and skate with the moms who were pushing strollers on the skating rink. We don't have the roller rink around here anymore.
I asked Mr. Puffy what I might be proud of. He said that I should be proud that I can relate to all ages of people. I work with both little kids and senior citizens.
Do you wear kneepads or is that not cool?
Roller skating just feels wrong to me. I can (well, could) do it just fine until I stopped thinking and then my ice skating brain took over and I fell every time. Or just staggered stupidly. Whatever.
Tom took ice skating lessons just so he could keep up with me.
I'm not feeling proud of anything in particular just now. Generally, I'm a good problem solver - so I'll say that.
I used to skate all the time, only thing To Do where I grew up. I haven't skated since Bre was about 10 - wow, 13 years ago - sheesh.
You go girl.
Happy birthday!!!
I don't like things on my feet where I"m not in control... like skiing and skating - either Ice or rolling, and I don't like to fall.. so those are out!
Happy Birthday, Tab!
*eats M&M's in your honor*
I hope you had a great day! Love you. *besa*
You? Are awesome. I can skate, but not fancy. I know, given that I'm so fancy, that's a surprise. :-)
The roller rink was THE cool place to go in 5th-8th grade. I remember musical doors (where you'd end up getting slammed into a door when the music stopped), crazy trio (where I always preferred a middle spot and let my friends get smashed into the other skaters), couple skate (*swoon*) and backwards skate. Ahh, the music, the ugly rental skates, the junk food and the orange & avacado green carpeted walls.
Happy B-day.
Roller skates? We don't have no sissy roller skates in Canada. We have ice skates only and we like it that way.
(Though it does sometimes look alittle silly in the summer as we stomp along the pavement)
But Canadians are sissies-they are scared of the dark. <---Another HIMYM reference for Boo.
Good for you, MM! I think it's great you are roller skating again. You should be just about ready for this. Tryouts are January 18. Good luck. :)
*smooch*
Post a Comment