Thursday, April 05, 2007

Presumptuous Flushing

::disclaimer:: This blog entry is being written at an ungodly hour, and I am way too tired to do it. But I didn't want to leave the icky finger story up any longer /disclaimer


So I was in a bathroom stall last night, when something happened that made me wonder; have you ever had one of the automatic flushing toilets misread you? Then I had to wonder if what *I* was doing was normal. How many people do their "freshening up" in the stall, as opposed to in front of the sink and mirror? See, normally I do that stuff in the privacy of the stall, after hanging my purse on the hook. I don't like brushing my hair in front of other people. Frankly, I don't like *looking* at myself in front of others. I have this fear that they'll see me putting on lipstick (or whatever) and think, "ha! she shouldn't even bother!". I guess it's a pathetic low self-esteem issue I never got past. Anyhow, so I was doing it in the stall, when the toilet assumed I was finished, and flushed. Gah! Now what? Let people wonder what the heck I'm still doing in the bathroom, after the toilet's flushed? I miss the old toilet flushing handles that we push with our foot. *pout*

24 comments:

Swami said...

So you're that woman who hogs the stall when I have to go!!! *crosses legs*
(Just kidding.)

And you look beautiful! Brush your hair out in the open so old women like me can envy you!

I like the self flushing toilets because you don't have to touch anything, and people usually flush the toilet with the hand they just used to wipe. Ditto for the sliding door lock.

However, I don't like self flushing toilets when they decide to autoflush while you're still sitting there! Like, don't lean forward and mess with your shoes! Toilet will suck you in!

Jen said...

so I was doing it in the stall

Oooh, kinky! ;-)

I have never brushed my hair or applied makeup in the stall. I try to get in and out as quickly as possible because I hate public toilets. *shudder* And I always worry that people will think I'm taking too long.
If I need to do anything in front of the mirror, I do it after washing my hands.

But those self flushing toilets are very sensitive. I've had one flush while I'm trying to wipe, and then flush again while I'm trying to get my pants up. Very annoying.

And you? are gorgeous. *besa*

kim (weltek) said...

LOL-that's kind of funny. If I'm um, going to be sitting for awhile, I'll sometimes freshen my makeup in the stall. This rarely happens, but I've done it. I never stand there and do any primping, I save that for the mirror. I am really quick about it, though. I hate to be a mirror/sink hog.

I hate the ladies at work (it's a huge workplace) that haul their entire bathroom counter into the ladies room and fix their makeup, brush their teeth, comb their hair, etc. for about 15 minutes every day. I understand if you have something important after work, but this is their usual routine to do a halfway-through-the-day fix.

Not to mention, I have a really weird thing about not liking to be near others while they brush their teeth. It kind of grosses me out, not to mention I hate strong minty smells. I'm weird, I know.

Bravie said...

I will just ditto Jen's post. *grin*

~Nutz said...

*runs into blog*

*throws javelin*

*steps aside for the next person*

Usually, the flusher goes off while I'm squatting (I won't sit) and then my azz gets sprayed with water. I hate automatic stuff!

I would never put on lipstick and touch my face without washing my hands first. Ewww! You're a potty mouth! Literally! :D

*smooch*

mm said...

funny you would say that Nutz! I actually *never* touch any of the handles without a tissue, or at the very least, my own shirt, as a barrier. I even use my elbow to press down the towel dispenser handles. And that's *before* I enter the stall, tyvm!

*sticks tongue out @ Nutz*

~Nutz said...

Um. OK. You wipe yourself, don't you? ...and what happens if you pee on your hand? *head tilt*

mm said...

Well, I don't freshen up *after* I pee! That's why the toilet flushing is so annoying. It assumes I already did! After I go, yes, there is pee all over my hands. Both of them. And on the floor too.

*sticks out tongue again*



Also, I should have clarified, but I was too tired to make it all very clear... I would never "freshen up" if someone were waiting to use the stall. I would prolly just do a quick glimpse in the mirror as I washed, and skip the freshening up.

Carey, why are you grinning? It makes me nervous when you do that!

mm said...

Besides, how does one pee on their hand?? Wouldn't you have to have it down there while you are peeing to do that? *head tilt*

:P

~Nutz said...

LOL! OK... but why would you freshen up before peeing? That's strange to me.

...and, um, haven't you ever dribbled a bit when wiping? *grin*

mm said...

...and, um, haven't you ever dribbled a bit when wiping? *grin*

Oh, I understand what you mean now. Yeah, I've heard that happens when you get older.

And to be fair, I'll give you "strange". ;-)

~Nutz said...

*whack* :D

Puffy said...

Half the time those self-flushing toilets don't even flush and you have to find the little red button to push to make it flush.

I flush with my foot, too.

I don't stay in those stinky little stalls any longer than I have to.

I don't sit either. Ewww if my leg accidentally touches the toilet.

Bravie said...

I grin because I know it makes you nervous. I like to make sure that you are on your toes. But don't pee on your toes.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Hate autoflushing toilets!
Hate auto faucets that involve a 5 minutes waving of hands to turn on!
Hate appliances that think they are smarter than me.

(except spike, who is actually smarter)

Swami said...

Hello? I am old but I don't "accidently" pee on my hand, lol. I'm all giggly over that.

I will sit in the midwest where people are wholesome and clean, but on either coast I will hover.

Bob, I too hate those water faucets where you have to conduct an orchestra before the water will flow.

I do kind of like the paper towel dispensers that pump a clean length of towel out for you when you hold your hands out. They seem to work pretty well.

Jen said...

Swami, are you saying you pee on your hand on purpose?? Gross. ;-)

Schnookie said...

I'm always afraid those auto flushers will flush prematurely and my clothes will get soaked.

I never touch up anything in the stall. I just want to get my business done and get out of there. Public bathrooms are nasty.

Like you however, I don't like primping in public. I exactly like you in thinking peeps will look at me and be critical of how I look.

So, I just wash my hands and get out of there.

*smooch* I think you are beautiful!

HistoryDetective said...

I hate that. Don't you just want to yell at the toilet: "Don't pressure me!"

Monstah said...

I know you are filled with consternation over this primping in the stall thing but I have to tell you, it made me *heart* you even more! I think it is super cute! :)

PS I never, ever apply makeup or brush my hair in a public restroom. I wash my hair, make sure I have no mascara smudges and then simply walk out. *smooch*

Jen said...

I'm really hoping Monsty meant she washes her hands and then walks out. Although, the image of her sticking her head under the faucet and lathering up is pretty darn funny! LOL

Swami said...

Lol at Monsty, washing her hair and then leaving without brushing it.

If the restroom is one of those nice hotel ones with a totally seperate room for the purpose I would consider freshening/primping as needed. Usually I will do that in the car (but not while driving.)

Glowie said...

MM, you are beautiful. Please quit primping in the icky gross stall.

LOL @ Monsty washing her hair.

mm said...

After re-reading my post, I have to clarify (yet again), I do NOT do the freshening up while sitting. I hang the purse up on the door, then brush or whatever, (while standing) *then* do my business.

These are some hilarious comments, btw. Thanks for the giggles everyone! *smooches*