Monday, April 09, 2007

Medical oddities (and other stuff)

When DD was 5, she got Cat Scratch Fever. I didn't even know there *was* such a thing (until then). Turns out, there is. My mom's cat scratched her, and the bacteria infected DD's lymph node, under her arm. She complained it hurt, and when I looked, it was obviously swollen. We took her to the doctor and she went on antibiotics. They didn't work. Next step? Removing the lymph node. I'll never forget walking out of the recovery area (where she waited until going into the OR). My baby, being so brave, sitting in a red wagon (how cool is that?) being wheeled in to have the surgery. It was all ok, and she recovered just fine, but really, what an odd experience. Cat scratch fever? I thought it was only a song, until then.

Next oddity? She had an infection (bacterial, I think) in her mouth. The prescription? Sour candy! She needed to make her mouth water as much as possible. We bought her lemon heads, if I remember correctly. She loved telling everyone about that one.

When she was little, she had another medical problem that always scared me to death. When she was startled, or hurt (even DS pulling her hair, kind of hurt), she would get the wind knocked out of her, to the point of turning blue, and her eyes rolling. The very last time it happened, it was the worst case we'd seen, and I had dialed the 9-1- (of 9-1-1) before DH resuscitated her. Lips and fingernails turned blue instantly. She never did it again, thank cod. But it was scary.

What are your experiences with strange medical problems (if you don't mind me asking) ?

P.S. Can someone tell me why my thumb started hurting, and then a few hours later swelled up and felt tingly? It was also hot to the touch. No bites or broken skin to be seen. Next day? Swelling is down, fever is gone, but there is a small bruise right under the thumb pad (where it was swollen). And it still feels sore. :( I think I'm breaking.

P.S.S. Need some quick advice...(this should prolly be it's own post) I have a friend whose DD, who I'll call snottybratface is known for being highly obnoxious and disrespectful. Whenever I see said friend, I a try to be nice to this girl. She is ten years old, and so bad that my kids beg me not to make them go over there with me. *snort* Anyhow, the other day, as we were leaving a Chuckie Cheesish type place, this girl asks me if I want to get wet...I ignored her, assuming she wouldn't dare squirt me with the water bottle she was holding (I was in my car, with the door open). Next thing I know, I'm wet. My side, and a little on my glasses. I was pissed, and shocked. I couldn't believe her nerve. It was obvious I was not happy, and her mom told her to apologize (it was actually more of a suggestion). Instead, snottybratface laughs at me. No, make that *cackles* at me! Smiling in glee at what she had done. Her mother never made her stop. I pretty much left immediately, without another word to either of them. The problem is, I don't know whether to tell her mom why I am avoiding her now. And yes, I'm avoiding her. Disrespectful kids are intolerable, to me. Might sound harsh, but there it is. I can't do it. No fake smiley "it's oks" from me. Actually, to be honest, I *have* done the fake "it's oks" before, but that was in response to verbal disrespect from her. Now I don't want to be around the kid, now that we all know she can do anything and get away with it.

So, this friend will call me at some point, and I don't know whether to say something or not. Everyone knows her kids are terrible, but nobody says anything. Not even sure if there would be a point. How upset would *you* be? And just to be clear, it's not the *action* that upset me so much, it was the blatant disrespect in how she acted afterward. Help?





12 comments:

HistoryDetective said...

Well, everybody already knows that I am an ogre when it comes to children... I would definitely tell the mother why I am avoiding her and her daughter: "I don't allow my own children to treat me that way. I'm certainly not going to volunteer to be treated that way by somebody else's child."

Breezy said...

You have to say something to your friend. That was horrible, she's not doing that child any favors.

No medical oddities... that I can think of right now.

Breezy said...

oooohhhh I just thought of one as soon as I hit post. When DD was born, her belly button kept growing the umbilical cord back. We had to have it burnt off like three times before it would stop.

momma said...

No major medical mysteries around here. Just the usual bilateral hernia, upteen ear infections, and pencil erasers up the nose type of things.

As for your PS, no idea why your thumb would do that.

And the PSS, well...I'd venture to say that Mom knows how awful snottybratface is and has let it go on for so very long that she has no idea how to correct it. And probably isn't sure she can. It pains me to see children like this because they actually can be good kids, when they choose to. They just don't choose to very often because they know they don't have to. My neice and nephews are like this. I can't stand to be around them and my kids trash them pretty regularly, which is sad. I haven't said anything to my ex-sil because she knows. And doesn't do anything about it. So, we keep our distances some. It's sad, because except for their lack of parenting, I do like my ex-sil and ex-bil. And my neice is actually quite well behaved and somewhat mannerly when away from her parents.

kim (weltek) said...

I don't think I have any strange medical stories. I was allergic to Depo Provera shots. My ears and extremities would get red and itchy, and I'd sneeze a lot.

I can't explain your thumb. Maybe the same reason Boo's finger is bruised?

As for the friend & child? I agree in a sense with HD. Next time friend asks to get together, I'd sadly say that I'm not sure my kids and I were up for a day with snottybratface. Maybe mom would get the hint that she really needs to work with her child on her behavior.

kim (weltek) said...

Oh, but if you think mom is really trying to parent snottybratface into behaving better, but it's not working? I would try to get over it and maybe try to talk to the little girl and tell her you and your kids don't enjoy coming and playing with her when she behaves that way...and that you like to spend time with her when she's being polite.

Swami said...

I don't recall any medical oddities.

Swelling and hotness sounds like either an infection. Or maybe you somehow broke a deep blood vessel which bled out inside your thumb. Is there a lump or hard spot? Keep an eye out for any small red streaks going up your hand or lower arm. See a doctor right away if you see red streaks.

Snottybratface is on her way to a rude awakening some day. Girl's mom probably is locked into a little cycle of wimpy good-behaviour requests and empty promises in return. They both need to see a professional for ideas and a possible diagnosis. ADD girls can have totally off-the-wall behaviors with virtually no hyperactivity (which boys usually have) so the girls often go undiagnosed. It is something the mom should rule out.

Tell friend you can tolerate the verbal misbehaviour but squirting you crossed the line.

Aislinn Sirk said...

For the snottygirlchild, if your are avoiding her anyhow, I think it is only fair to say why you are avoiding her.

Her mother must be making excuses and thinks her child is being cute, instead of utterly annoying.

It may end the friendship (or cool it a lot) but it sounds like that will/has happen/ed anyhow.

Bravie said...

I tend to say what is on my mind and then pay the consequences. I'm great for saying what everybody wants to but won't.
I'm learning to curb that behavior these days.

Emily RugBurn said...

Suddenly, about 8 years ago, I ate an apple and my gums started tingling and my throat started closing. Only in the last few years have I been able to "diagnose" it as Oral Allergy Syndrome, or specifically, an allergy to birch pollen. It happens when I eat fresh apples, cherries, peaches and pears. SUPER annoying since I *love* all those things and had eaten them my entire life.

And yes, regarding snottybratface, I agree with what everyone has said. You should tell snottybratface's mom the truth. Now, I don't think you need to say: "You are refusing to parent your child, which involves correcting unacceptable behaviour." And instead, as others have suggested, let her know that you can no longer tolerate her child's blatant disrespect for you and your kids.

Only good can come of it. You've already decided not to spend anymore time with them, so mom will either ignore what you tell her (and nothing changes) or she will take it to heart and the kid's behaviour will improve. It's a no-change/win situation!

Oh, and I definitely agree with what breezy said: "...she's not doing that child any favors." (Although, I spell "favors" "f-a-v-o-u-r-s"). Yikes, can you imagine this kid as an adult?

~Nutz said...

Sorry. No medical oddities for me either.

As for your thumb, I bet you banged it on something.

As for your friend, I would make it very clear to her that you would have no problem getting together with her without her child, but that you and your kids just cannot be around the kid.

Anonymous said...

I would say something to your friend as well. Based on experience with the little terror across the street, I would tell your friend that you are not comfortable being around her child.

Medical Oddities: Do I dare post? Okay. I had a sebacious cyst in my stomach. it was described as just a hair folicle that blocked up. I had it forever. Forever. Like a dumbass I decided one day to pop it on my own with a sterilized needle. Stupid mistake. I had to go to the ER to have it drained. It didn't completely go away. Years later one day it swelled. I had to again have it drained, then have surgery to remove it. It came back again, and I had it removed again. So far it has not come back.