Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Don't look, Arkie and HD!

Ok, so my first mistake was washing dishes. Apparently, that's something I should teach the kids to do, but whatever. There I am, washing a glass when I hear the sound of breaking glass. I feel nothing, but look down to see what happened. For some reason, the sink was turning red. That's when I realized what had happened. The bottom of the goblet had come off, and while I was applying pressure to the inside of the glass, it forced it right into my finger. DD was in the kitchen with me. I quickly dropped the glass and in a few steps, was grabbing a towel, to wrap around the finger. When I looked down, there was blood from the sink to the drawer which is across the floor. Lots of blood. I tried to stay calm, but inside, was freaking out. I knew it was deep, and I knew I needed stitches. I also knew our insurance didn't go into effect until midnight, and it was only about 9:30pm. Ack!

I had DD call DH who was still at work (but should have been off by then) and let him know I needed him. He was with someone, and couldn't leave yet. I was going into shock (I've never had a serious injury like this, and was completely unsure as to how to deal with it). I was sweating, shaking, and starting to panic, assuming I would lose the tip of my finger if it wasn't re-attached soon. I was pretty sure I would not bleed to death, but part of me was afraid I might. Like I said, this was a first for me. Anyhow, my dad came before DH, (we had called him about taking the kids, so they wouldn't have to go to the ER). Just then, DH got home. We went to the ER, where astonishingly, nobody seemed too panicked. Hello!? My finger is falling off, people! *sigh*

I had to wait for over an hour. I even asked the guy if the numb feeling was normal, because I was thinking my finger was slowly dying, from lack of blood flow. By the time I was seen, I was tired, and the bleeding had slowed, but not stopped. The doctor that came in...*dreamy sigh* SO freakin' hot. Movie star good looks. It was ridiculous. So now I was nervous because of him, and couldn't look at him for more than three seconds at a time. He was super nice though. While he numbed the finger (note the swollen appearance of my hand) we talked. Don't ask me what about.

I had two shots in the base of the finger. It hurt. A lot. But it didn't work, so he had to give me two MORE shots (after having the cut irrigated...yuck). I swore a bit during that, because they thought I was numbed, but wasn't. By the time he was ready to stitch me up, I was still not numb. He warned me that the next step would be painful. I had to have the injection on the tip of the finger! OUCH! Hurt like a mofo! It was worse than what I assumed the stitches would have felt like, without the numbing. Anyhow, that was pretty much it. Got home around 1am, I think. The doc said it was unusual that I needed so many injections for it to work on me. I was also almost completely un-numbed by the time I went to bed that night. It was an awful night. Feel free to shower me with {{hugs}} (or gifts). *grin*

p.s. about the midget thing: yes, I kinda knew I couldn't post his picture. I guess that's why I asked. *sigh* He is so stinkin' cute. I *do* kinda know the family, but still, can't post someone else's kid online without permission. Darn it. He's so cute.

16 comments:

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Okay, that is DEFINITELY the winner in the Icky Picture of the Week contest!

Yowchies! I can understand the extra numbing stuff. When I go to the dentist I usually need a bit extra to get me to that place!

So, did they write it up for AFTER midnight so the insurance would pay for it??

kim (weltek) said...

GAH! Owie! Glad it all worked out fine. Your blogging time would've suffered had they amputated. :-)

Swami said...

Wow - that is one nasty-looking cut! Nice stitch work though. Are you right handed? I think hand & finger wounds heal over quickly.

My sister cut her thumb just like that once. She did everything to stop the bleeding you did and was very calm until the first adult arrived to help - at which point she fainted dead away. So congratulations on not fainting!

Bravie said...

Ewwwwwwwwwww. That's awesome. thank you for cutting your finger so that we could see icky pictures.
*eats finger food*

mm said...

Mom2bjm, I *hope* the insurance will cover it. The guy who checked me in thought they would. We'll see. We can always contest it.

Kim, believe me, I thought about that while waiting in the ER. *grin*

Swami, I am right handed, fortunately. I did not faint, but while they were injecting the local, I *almost* did.

You're very welcome, Carey. Enjoy it, I won't be doing this again!

Breezy said...

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!

Jen said...

Yeah, so, I had this super long entry typed out earlier about my own finger cutting incident, and when I went to post it blogger was down for maintenance. *sigh*

I may re-type it. But for now I will just give you *hugs* and *booboo smooches* (but not on the actual booboo because gross.)

Oh! And when I first saw the pic I didn't think it looked that gross... until I clicked to enlarge. Ewwwwww! :P

mm said...

Please share it when you can, Jen. I'd love to hear it.

Puffy said...

GASP! You must teach those kids to wash the dishes! I hope it heals fast. You'll have to learn how to type with 9 fingers.

Schnookie said...

Ouchie! I always have to get extra shots at the dentist.

Nice nails :-)

momma said...

Ouchie!

Don't forget to keep it clean.

Jen said...

Ok, I have a free minute at work. Let me try this again. :)

I used to work at Staples in the copy center and we had this heavy duty paper cutter that was pretty old and the safety on it had broken. (I bet you can tell where this story is going already, can’t you? *grin*) I had used this thing for years with no problems, but one day I was chatting with another associate while I was cutting some signs for my boss.
*slice* *chat* *adjust paper*
*slice* *adjust paper* *look up to chat*
*slice* *panic*
OMFG, I just chopped the tip of my finger off! I was freaking out as I ran to the back of the store and into the bathroom to run some water over it. There was some blood, but I don’t remember it gushing or anything. I had no idea how bad it was because I was too afraid to let go of my finger. It felt like if I let it go, it would totally fall off.
Someone drove me to the hospital (my manager, I think) and when the doctor came in, I still didn’t want to let go of my finger. It felt so… loose! I just knew I had cut the tip off.

Finally, the doctor convinced me to let go so he could see. Yeah, it wasn’t anywhere near falling off. *snort* I didn’t even need stitches. Just a tetanus shot, bandage and a splint and I was sent on my way.

It did slice through my fingernail and down into the flesh. I was always worried that my fingernail would grow back weird, but it’s fine. I just have a little scar, and I pretty much have no feeling in the tip of that finger (my left index, just like you!)
I don’t think I ever took any pictures of it. Bummer. :D

*besa*

mtw said...

***HUG***
***GIFT***

That really looks icky, MM! I agree with Puffy that you should have the kids do the dishes. I hear kids clot easier! ;-)

Jen, I ran out of my cubicle screaming as soon as I read "heavy duty paper cutter" Yikes!

mtw said...

Oh, and thankfully, I'm getting good at copying my comments before I log into blogger. *rolls eyes*

Jen said...

LOL Mark.
Hey, I wanted to tell you, you can log in from here first and then type your comment so you don't have to copy and paste. Just click on "log in with your google account" and once you do it brings you right back here so you can comment.

mm said...

OMG, Jen! I totally laughed out loud while reading that! I can relate to almost everything you said (umm, 'cept mine was WAY worse!) ;-). Seriously, that would have been horrifying. The potential for serious damage was definitely there.

{{hugs to Jen}}

*takes gift from MTW*
*runs to store for an exchange*
*finds out it was sold on clearance*
*glares @ MTW*

Yes Puff, I agree. I will teach them. Soon. *grin*

Thanks Nookie. I thought they looked awful here, lol!

Yes Momma, keeping it clean so far. Seems to be healing fine. :)